PDA

View Full Version : fired settlement

JenniferR771
03-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Julie Nemacek a 16 year professor at religious Spring Arbor College in Michigan was fired for changing from John to Julie. She filed a discrimination complaint and reached a settlement March 13. She has struck a blow to end discrimination. Thanks Julie. A link:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-42/1173812951326890.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

TxKimberly
03-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Way to go! A lot of people would have gone with out a fight.
Kim

trannie T
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
It is nice to win one once in a while. Hope Julie got a good settlement and is able to get a position in a more understanding institution. I continue to be amazed at how intolerant 'Christian' people can be.

Billijo49504
03-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I was kinda watching this one. And I'm glad it went this way. Christian = Bigot????BJ

Amy Hepker
03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Jennifer,

Yep good ol Equality, it's shaping our world. One small step for man(woman) one small leap for man (woman) kind.

Joy Carter
03-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I was kinda watching this one. And I'm glad it went this way. Christian = Bigot????BJ

I'm a Christian Billijo. Does that mean I'm a bigot too ?

Caz
03-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Hi Joy

Being a Christian DOES NOT mean that you're a bigot. From reading your posts, I would think you are quite the opposite of a bigot :thumbsup:

With a very few exceptions, it would seem to me that most Christian churches/organizations have lost the plot, or missed the point :sad: The point being 'Love & Grace' thru Christ :thumbsup:

The way most Christian churches/organizations discriminate against CDs TGs gay folk and even OTHER Christians, is proof enough for me that they have absolutely no concept of Christ's Love & Grace.

Luv from

Caz xx

RobertaFermina
03-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Christian means living a life congruent with Christ's message - Thank goodness we don't have to follow his example !

It begins with actually reading and understanding the New Testament, which would probably include reading the Old Testament just to get it in proper context.

Doing that should render one immune to most modern Pharisees, those who color all 'Christianity' their narrow self-serving interpretations and distortions.

In Love and Service,

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Teresa Amina
03-14-2007, 08:04 AM

Don't be paranoid! Billijo put lots of ???? after that =bigot thing. Just because I'm Pagan doesn't mean I sacrifice babies to Moloch. Let's just say that Established Religion is questionable at best.

Stephenie S
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Very true. I am constantly amazed at how "Christian" pastors and "Christian" churches can misunderstand the words of Jesus Christ. What personal vendettas are they following? What is their problem?

Read and study the words of Jesus Christ. Read and study the New Testament. Become a TRUE Christian. Christianity is NOT about bigotry and hate. It's about love and acceptance.

What message is this "Christian" college teaching it's students about Jesus Christ? One can only wonder.

Steph

cindychan
03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Well if ya got a good lawyer chances are you win. I'm glad I work in a area that has laws protecting TG people in the workplace, just in case a coworker turns agaisnt me or something. I also suggest you all read The Crossing, it's a memoir of a college professor that is a crossdresser who has an realization that he is a woman, and at the age of 55 has a sex change. All the struggle and crossing into womanhood is shown here. Another great book is How Sex Changed by Merowitz, this was a text book for a transgendered class I took in college. It shows the whole history of sex change, the legal battles, and some nice photos of transgender/crossdressing history.:hugs: Cindy

Robin Leigh
03-14-2007, 11:12 AM
I just read Billijo's comment to mean:

"How can these people claim to be Christian when they're behaving in a bigoted way?"

IMHO, religion should encourage people to treat everyone as part of God's family. But there is the tendency in organized religions to foster an "us & them" mentality. That's not the fault of religion, it's just the basic herd instinct at work. And all religions teach us that the human/divine nature can transcend the animal instincts. That's the theory...

:hugs:

Robin

cindychan
03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Well bad people come in all shapes and sizes. I've meet bad Christains, good, honest Christians, born agains, and so on. Perhaps the majority hates us but there are still lots who would support us. Maybee we should be spreading word about ourselves and showing them we aren't evil and can stand beside them as fellow humans and or christians.

Lovely Rita
03-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Great to know.