PDA

View Full Version : Delta Airlines and TSA regarding Flying Dressed

TxKimberly
03-13-2007, 11:06 PM
OK,

So here is a good laugh. I cut and pasted an email chain between myself, Delta, and TSA. You might have to sort of read it from the bottom up to make sense of it. The series of events:
1. I wrote TSA asking them how being cross dressed would effect flying. For several days I received no response and so -
2. I wrote an email to Delta (I have gold status with them and so they are my favorite Airline).
3. At just about the same time I get emails from both of them, each telling me I needed to talk to the other.
My email to TSA is not included. If read from the bottom up, the first email is to Delta after not getting a response from TSA.
ROFL Read on:

To: Customer Care <customer-care@delta.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:57:25 PM
Subject: Re: Other - Current and Future (KMM15710949I41L0KM)

Funny,

I DID contact TSA and they told me to talk to you ("your Airline"). Feel free to read their message below. That's OK though, I'd say that each of you pointing at the other has answered my question and it WOULD be a nightmare.

Thank you for your message expressing your concerns about airport security and travelers with special considerations.

This message concerning Airline services was misdirected to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). TSA encourages you to contact your airline for further assistance.

We hope that this information is helpful and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Please visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. We continue to add new information and encourage you to check the website frequently for updated information.

TSA Contact Center

----- Original Message ----
To: kimberly_of_texas@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:49:06 PM
Subject: Re: Other - Current and Future (KMM15710949I41L0KM)

Dear Ms. Huddle,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

You will need to contact TSA at 866-289-9673 or send an e-mail to
TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov. We are unable to assist you here at Delta.

We appreciate your business and trust your future flights will be
enjoyable. We hope you will continue to make Delta your airline of
choice.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Keeling
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Name : Ms Kimberly Huddle

Email Address : kimberly_of_texas@yahoo.com

SkyMiles Number:

COMMENT DETAILS:

Email about Past/Future travel: Current and Future

Nature of Comment: Question Suggestion

Email Pertaining to: Other

Email about Other topic: Cross dressing

Comments:

This is somewhat embarrasing so I'll just come out and say it. I am a
crossdresser and have considered flying that way. I have sent a silimar
email to TSA but they are too busy laughing to answer me. :-)
Anyway, I'd like to know flying crossdressed would make the whole
experience a nightmare? How would TSA handle the fact that I wont look
like my ID? How would Delta react as well? Any advice or suggestions are
welcome!
Thanks!

marie354
03-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Sounds like a typical case of "pass the buck"

Karren H
03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Too funny Kim!!! I have a friend who flew enfemme from Western Canada via the US to Europe last year and she said it was one hastle after another... She flew in drab on the way home...

Karren

linnea
03-13-2007, 11:37 PM
This is funny, Kim, but it is also typical buck passing. Last week, I flew from Seattle to Miami and back. I didn't go en femme, but I did pack some of my femme clothes in my carry-on. Of course, I was "selected" for special screening, and in that process the screener went through everything in my carry-on bag. He did not make any remarks or show any signs of recognizing that I had a lot of women's clothing for a man, However, I did feel really intruded upon as he sorted through all my things. I packed a bit differently for the return trip and was "selected" again for special screening.
I don't think that I would ever fly en femme, even if the TSA and the airlines had official tolerance policies.
Thanks for sharing the letters.

Eileen
03-14-2007, 12:51 AM
Kimberly you could get a non drivers license photo ID with a picture of Kimberly and you male information and signature. That way you will look like your picture. I have used my NDLPID when staying at motels and when I was hired. If I fly now I am going to have to use it as I no longer have any male clothes.

Eileen

Melinda G
03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
What if nobody flew anywhere for about two weeks. Ya think they might lighten up?

DawnL
03-14-2007, 02:22 AM
I guess the only way to really find out would be to get an alternate ID and go for it. TSA and the airline would have to make a decision then.
Good luck with that.

Paulacder
03-14-2007, 05:31 AM
I live in he Cincinnati area and Delta's main hub is at the greater Cincy. Airport which is located in Kentucky. As you may or may not know the greater Cincy Airport is the most expensive airport in the nation to fly from, thanks in part to Delta. To give you a cost comparison San Fransisco is the second highest priced airport for travel and Cincinnati has it beat by a average of $80.00 per ticket. This causes a lot of air travelers in our area to purchase tickets and depart from either from Indianoplis or Louisville. So much for Delta..:Angry3:

CharlaineCadence
03-14-2007, 06:19 AM
I have flown three times since living full time as a woman. and have found that if you just take one of the screeners aside or ask before entering the screening area to speek to one of the tsa supervisers. If your honest forthwith and open with them their are no peoblems. and at least for me I was able to get through faster. You may find that their out look is slightly grim if you wait untill the main screening process to talk to someone. but they just pull you aside to a privete room and you explain everything to them and your off. The only problem I have ever had was due to an extended flight where as i was unable to fix my makeup and was met by tsa personal at the gate when we landed. after they spoke to me and then to the departue location I was apolojised to and sent on my way. I also was refunded for the cost of my flight when I informed delta of the situation. they where very helpfull. So I guess it is mainly on how you present yourself.

good luck.

Jackie-Ann
03-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Hi, Kimberly, If it was hard before, I'm sure that with today's airport security, it would be a nightmare and an embarrassment. We have to come to terms with our reality and the world that we live in. Terrorism is a fact of life, innocent human beings are dying due to the fanatical beliefs of a faith that teaches death over life.

Hugs and kisses,Jackie-Anne

Jackie-Ann
03-14-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi Karen, I just finished posting about airport security. Your post just confirms what I said, Jackie-Anne

JenniferR771
03-14-2007, 08:08 AM
When flying drab, in Cincinatti, I told a couple of gate stewards that I was a cd and asked if there would be any problem flying while wearing a dress. They said, as long as you have your drivers license, no problem. But it was hard to tell if they actually understood what I was asking.
On the first day, hang out in the lobby at one of the big CD conventions like Southern Comfort. You will probably hear plenty of stories. Would probably be fun just to sit in the airport and watch them arrive.

jeniinnylons
03-14-2007, 08:30 AM
I've posted on this topic when you posted about airline travel:

I WORKED FOR TSA (THE AIRPORT FEDERAL SECURITY)!

THEY CAN NOT, WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM FLYING IF DRESSED AS A FEMALE IF YOU ARE MALE. They are checking that your ID is the same as the ticket and then checking to see if it is the person. There were PLENTY CD/TV/TS etc.... coming thru my airport and they never had a problem.

As for someone saying something about taking your wig off: You ALWAYS have a right whether dressed or not (in womens clothing) to ask for a private screening. THAT IS YOUR RIGHT! And remember it will be a woman searching you not a man!

ASK ME WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Suggestions:

First off they do not do any strip searchs.

There is nothing illegal or wrong about flying dressed as a woman if you are a man. I saw some myself.

If you need to be searched you will be searched by someone of the gender you present as.

You need to remember to not have anything you shouldn't and try not to have a lot of metal on and you will be good.

Daintre
03-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Well it has become a non issue flying between the US and Canada as you need to carry your passport now. So if you do not match what your document says, you aren't flying.

NatalieGirl
03-14-2007, 01:02 PM
Flying id too much of a hassle as it is. I don't need any more hassle.

I save dressing up for fun times!