PDA

View Full Version : Fear of coming out

jenna19
03-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I've just realized that my a lot of my fear of moving forward with transition has been because I've been looking too far down the road. I've considered transition off and on since the 80's. I went so far as to go the gender dysphoria clinic and talk to their shrink a few times. Every time though, I've pulled back. I know now that some of the fear was because it just seemed too vast and difficult to change EVERYTHING. Rather than live one day at a time and change small things I was quaking at the thought that it would all have to be done at once. Has anyone else gone through this? Can you give me your thoughts and ideas?

Felix
03-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi Jenna yeah I think most of us will have had these feelings at one time or another. I definitely have cos it's when ya look at the bigger picture and the knock on effects it is gonna have or may have cos it's not the same for everyone, that I think things get scary. After all it has the the affect of changing your life for ever, so iy's not to be taken lightly. You have been brave enough to go for help and that's a big step :hugs: Good luck hun I think the one day one step at a time approach is the best one. That's the one I am living xx Felix :hugs:

GypsyKaren
03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Hi Jenna

I certainly know how you feel, I think we've all been there at one point or another. I basically jumped in headfirst, but that's what works for me, you've got to do what works for you, at your own comfort level, and only you know what that is. Any movement is positive, the thing is to get it out of neutrel. Anyway, I'm wishing and hoping the best for you, let us know how it goes.

Karen

MJ
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
hi there i know how you feel, but i just took baby steps one day at a time if you would have told me 4 years ago that this is my life now i would laugh ...
but over time i dealt with my issues one at a time , and if i can do it , you can too

azure
03-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I remember addressing that very issue with my psychiatrist. I related how overwhelmed I was by the thoughts of things like "Will being transgendred make life as a pensiosner more difficult?", and "I will lose the support of my family and friends...will I ever find support and love like other people do?".The product of all this over thinking was that I became very angxious, and overhwelmed by the inormity of it all, instead of taking one day at a time, which is alot healthier, or to quote a freind who wisely once told me "Only put yourself under the pressure YOU can cope with, and everything else will have to wait.

Lets face it, there really should be an NVQ in transition, or maybe a Hnd you could to, a three year course with a big exam at the end, and if you pass(get it ...pass...oh never mind) anyway if you pass you get the op(hurrah).