PDA

View Full Version : Definitions??

Tamera
03-18-2007, 12:49 PM
What are the various categories and their definitions?
Such as CD= CROSS DRESSER - One who wears clothes of the opposite sex.

ETC.??
Tamera

Lovely Rita
03-23-2007, 09:58 AM
I personally hate categories. They lump us into groups and there are no two of us alike. We all have nuances and differences in how we approach everything. I dislike the whole pigeonholing.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Casey Morgan
03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Despite the Transgender community's apparent general reluctance to the idea, there are few times when X means A and only means A. X typically means A, B, C, D, and perhaps even E, and all uses are valid. If you don't mind multiple definitions then I'm sure we can come up with a list if you'd like. :)

Kate Simmons
03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Despite the Transgender community's apparent general reluctance to the idea, there are few times when X means A and only means A. X typically means A, B, C, D, and perhaps even E, and all uses are valid. If you don't mind multiple definitions then I'm sure we can come up with a list if you'd like. :)I'll agree with that Casey. As far as letters, I'm sometimes like a vowel myself. Any of A,E,I,O,U and sometimes Y (Why?);) :battingeyelashes:

Tamera
03-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I did not mean to categorize people. I just wanted to know so I can understand what one is talking about when I read these posts.
Love,
Tamera

Kieron Andrew
03-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Cd = Crossdresser - OCCASIONAL DRESSER
Tv = Transvestite - OCASIONAL DRESSER OFTEN FOR SEXUAL KICKS
Ts = Transsexual - MOST OF THE TIME HAS THE DESIRE TO CHANGE SEX THROUGH OPERATIONS, BUT THERE ARE NON OP TS's
Ftm = Female To Male - BORN FEMALE PRESENTING AS MALE
Mtf = Male To Female - BORN MALE PRESENTING AS FEMALE
Gg = Genetic Girl - BORN FEMALE
Gm = Genetic Man - BORN MALE

did i miss any girls and guys?

Tiffany Tuesday
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Ts = Transsexual - MOST OF THE TIME HAS THE DESIRE TO CHANGE SEX THROUGH OPERATIONS, BUT THERE ARE NON OP TS's

Yes sir Mr Andrew sir, curtsey curtsey, you our new Teach?? Mmm isn't he just soooo hunky and masterful girls?

First time i ever saw him he totally bowled me over .. wow i thought, so handsome but that guy really needs his brakes fixed :) tee hee!!!

Sir sir hand up how about:
TG = transgendered ... as a general term for those who feel they are in the wrong bod (not all TG's are TS as many accept the curse of nature)
tgirl = mtf transgendered person
btw could some sweet helpful TS lady help out to explain the GRS SRS pre post stuff too?

Oops and please Mr Andrew sir, curtsey curtsey can i go get the school nurse for that pretty girl at the back? She's got Y's trapped in her vowels .. hey i dunno who's they are but we-ll she did try out for the football team .. yeah every position i hear, not one touch down but lots of touch-ups !!! :) tee hee !

CaptLex
03-28-2007, 09:11 AM

TF - Transfag - a transman that is attracted to men. ;)

Tamera
03-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanx, Tif,
I have also seen SRT. What is this?
Tamera

RobertaFermina
03-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Folks have blood, and it doesnt just go by the letters, A, B, O.
There is also the Rhesus Factor, signified by +, or -. And there are complex types such as AB.
I think such a sophisticated nomenclature would work for the Gender/Sexuality/Expression Arena.

I'm going back to bed. Maybe I'll dream something up.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Kieron Andrew
03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
TF - Transfag - a transman that is attracted to men. ;)
TF over here means something totally different, it means tranny fancier.....so you really need to read the context in which its being used on a muilti-lingual site like this

Kieron Andrew
03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanx, Tif,
I have also seen SRT. What is this?
Tamera
hey!! i gave you a whole list dont i get thanked too lol:rolleyes:

marie354
03-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I never heard of TF, but that's cool too, but then there must be TL - Trans Lesbian... A MTF TG or TS that prefers to be with women.

How about some others...

LOL - Laughing out loud.
ROFL - Rolling on floor laughing.
PMSL - We'll let Angie explain that one. (If you can't figure it out by yourself.)
SSDD - Same Shix Different Day.

The general is using initials to represent a phrase. Most are very easy to figure out.

You'll find more here... http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/netiquette101/a/abbreviations.htm.

~~ Sandy ~~

kay2
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
And FF = Fashion Freedom - the idea that anyone should be allowed to wear whatever they want. FFers take the issue of clothing outside of any of the TG/CD/XY... issues. Some are like girls on this forum, and some are men who wear those Utilikilts, and other MUGs (Men's Unbifurcated Garments), but I think those are worse than wearing my pink floral wrap skirt before the 1st day of Spring:heehee:.

I think all these terms are useful as long as we accept that they are vague, shifting, and don't clearly describe individuals. (For those of a philosophical bent, I'm thinking Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.)

CaptLex
03-28-2007, 09:36 AM
TF over here means something totally different, it means tranny fancier.....so you really need to read the context in which its being used on a muilti-lingual site like this

Ah yes . . . we call them tranny chasers over here, so that's where we differ.

I never heard of TF, but that's cool too, but then there must be TL - Trans Lesbian... A MTF TG or TS that prefers to be with women.
Actually, Sandy, the term is transdykes (not trans lesbians). I know, I prefer yours better (just as I'm not fond of transfags either), but that's the term.

Tiffany Tuesday
03-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Oh you MEN!!! It's a girl thing you wouldn't understand.

kimberly_f37
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM

Well Thank You

Have a great day!!

Vicky_Scot
03-28-2007, 10:47 AM

S/O = Significant Other (wive, girlfriend, partner etc)

I disagree with your definition of Crossdresser and Transvestite.

Crossdresser - a person, esp a male, who dresses in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

Transvestite - a person, esp. a male, who assumes the dress and manner usually associated with the opposite sex.

Dasein9
03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
(For those of a philosophical bent, I'm thinking Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations.)

Sure. Something in the way of a language game, eh? Wherein we all relate to something, but not in a way that allows for a succinct definition of every element involved.

Tiffany Tuesday
03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I disagree with your definition of Crossdresser and Transvestite.

Crossdresser - a person, esp a male, who dresses in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

Transvestite - a person, esp. a male, who assumes the dress and manner usually associated with the opposite sex.

Hiya SK honey,

To me Kieron's definitions are fine. So i have a Q.

Personally i do not know of any difference in meaning between TV and CD? Is there in the US? I know many US sisters prefer to be called CD's whereas in the UK that is considered a slightly dismissive term and more often we'd say transvestite to be polite ie say announcing Eddie Izzard. But apart from the connotations we each place on them, do they not still mean exactly the same thing?

Also, I would have said Transgendered for someone who assumes not just the clothes but the manner and lifestyle etc of the opposite gender.

Glad we now have this thread, i feel totally confident in my masculinity and femininity yet would be proud to be considered or thought of as female 100% of all the time. So names demeaning masculinity sissy, poof, gay, perv, bi, dyke, whatever,do not hurt me in the least. But i can now see that for men who like wearing female garments for pleasure, but who worry they may be considered less than manly, it must be a highly sensitive area as to what they are called.

My sympathy for what for many must seem a curse and humiliation. Big hugz mwhaa mwhaa .. oops sowee that is way too girlie poofy .. okay um shake on it girl, boy .. NO u tart ... hands!!!! :)

hugz x

Casey Morgan
03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
TG as in CD/TV/TG/TS also includes those of us who are between genders. We aren't looking to change sex either, but for some of us that's simply because there IS no sex for us to transition to. (If intersexed "officially" becomes a third sex, I can think of a few people, myself included, who will suddenly become TS.)

Robin Leigh
03-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TG as in CD/TV/TG/TS also includes those of us who are between genders. We aren't looking to change sex either, but for some of us that's simply because there IS no sex for us to transition to. (If intersexed "officially" becomes a third sex, I can think of a few people, myself included, who will suddenly become TS.)

I can relate to that, Casey.

I once said to a GG friend that I'd have a sex change if there were more options. She was nonplussed, so I said that only two choices: male or female was too limiting. She thought I was just joking. That was a couple of weeks before I told here I was a CDer.

I'm a bit of a mixture. I like to be male, I like to be female, but I also like to play on the median strip between the male & female roads. I don't mean I present myself androgenously, but inside me there are parts that feel male, parts that feel female, and parts that are sexually neutral. I let the balance shift as it seems natural.

Maybe I'm a gender chameleon. :)

:hugs:

Robin

Kate Simmons
03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
One thing nice about chameleons Robin, is that they can hide in plain sight.;) :alien: :happy:

Tamera
03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Thank You for all your responses.
And yes even you Kieron.
Love ya all

Tamera

Sheri 4242
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I grant you that some people dislike being labeled, but it is often important to try and be on the same page regarding definitions. This would seem to be especially true since we often are trying to help couples through initial understandings of CDing -- like we recently did with AJ_GG and Nathan/Natasha. I noted then that some contradictatory definitions were being given out, and that such could only confuse those we are trying to help.

I'll jump in where I think Kieron started and add my :2c:

1.) Crossdresser (CD): (A.) A person who wears clothing of the opposite sex. This can be just a single article of clothing to all the way, fully dressed. This can be occassional to frequent -- even all of the time. Many different people crossdress -- some common exampes are MTF heterosexual CDs (see definition B), Transsexuals (TS's), Drag Queens, FTM CDs, Female Impersonators, male prostitutes. (B.) A term used commonly to indicate primarily heterosexual males who like to wear female clothing (as described above, from one or two articles of clothing to all the way, and at different frequencies). Quite a large number who fall into this definition have an inner feeling that there is some level of "feminine aspect" to their being, and medical research shows that this may be true.

2.) Transvestite (TV): Someone who enjoys wearing the clothing of the opposite sex (again, from one or two articles to fully dressing). Some definitions of TV suggest that a broader definition of TV is that TV's dress for some degree of sexual, erotic pleasure. Most dictionaries I have checked do not add this. In some countries, a TV is the same thing as Definition 1-B is for CD. While many of these CDs disdain the use of TV, its use might should be encouraged since "CD" -- as shown in 1-A -- can cover a wide spectrum of those who dress and thus cause confusion.

*The term "transvestite" was first coined by Magnus Hirschfeld in c. 1910, and has gone through slight changes in meaning since that time, and, seemingly is continuing to evolve. Hirschfeld saw erotic urges in transvestism, however, subsequent psychological studies have pointed out that since many who are TV's (or CD's as in 1-B) report the urge to dress since very young ages, that erotic urges cannot always be associated with dressing in clothing of the opposite sex.

**Hirschfeld was not particularly satisfied with the term: he wrote that clothing was often an outward expression chosen on the basis of various internal psychological situations. Interestingly, Hirschfeld helped people to achieve the very first legal name changes and to get the very first sexual reassignment surgery. "Hirschfeld's transvestites" were, in today's terms, not only TV's, but people from all over the transgender spectrum.

3.) Transsexual (TS): One who believes they were born the wrong gender -- they often say they feel trapped in the wrong body. Some will "transition" and have "sexual reassingment surgery" (SRS), some will not. Some will go only as far as having hormone therapy, some will not. Expense often affects the decision to transition through SRS. Family and peer pressure are also major factors. Given the effects of hormone therapy, many men having such report problems with male functioning. One who is preparing for SRS is called PreOp; one who has had SRS is called PostOp.

4.) Transgender (TG): "Transgender" is the state of one's "gender identity" (and not their sexual orientation). TG is aptly applied to where there is ambiguity regarding conventional notions of male and female, or non-conformity to those notions, OR moving between the two (sexual orientation notwithstanding). Magnus Hirschfeld (see #2 - definition of TV) was one of the first to tangibly make a distinction between "sex" and "gender." While today males who are CDers/TVs live in a world of secrecy, shame, and guilt, and often go to great lengths to hide their CDism/TVism, Hirschfeld's group of transvestites consisted of both males and females, with heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and asexual orientations. Today, females frequently wear male clothing, or clothes designed to look much like male clothing, and are considered chic and in vogue.

Dawntv
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
For me I'm just a Bi MTF CD TV with A GG who is trying to understand my
addictions to womens clothes , Wigs, Makeup, etc. Actually She is fine with it it but im not used to that so it's causing some issues for me!

Sweet Jane
03-29-2007, 04:03 AM
Hi

all of these labels just serve to mess me up more...I'm just me.

Tamera
03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
Barbara,
Thanx a lot. Seems you really put a lot into my question. Your definitions will help me a lot in understanding what one is talking about in these threads.
Yes, and still Thanx to Tiff and Keidron as well.
LOL
Tamera

Robin Leigh
03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Salandra! :bighug:

One thing nice about chameleons Robin, is that they can hide in plain sight.;) :alien: :happy:

Yes, it's my protective colouration. :D

Robin

Robin Leigh
03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Nice work, Barbara! :thumbsup:

I grant you that some people dislike being labeled, but it is often important to try and be on the same page regarding definitions.

Indeed. Definitions don't need to be pigeon holes. We need some kind of map to describe the huge realm of CD/TG. To continue the map analogy, just because I say I live in Sydney doesn't imply I live in Sydney Town Hall or the post office. :)

Hirschfeld saw erotic urges in transvestism, however, subsequent psychological studies have pointed out that since many who are TV's (or CD's as in 1-B) report the urge to dress since very young ages, that erotic urges cannot always be associated with dressing in clothing of the opposite sex.

It should be noted that Hirschfeld was himself an erotic crossdresser. I prefer to avoid the use of the term "transvestite" as it tends to have sleazy connotations here in Australia & in the US (as you mentioned). However, one forum member from the UK recently mentioned that there the term "transvestite" was actually more respectable than "crossdresser" there.

I knew nothing about sex when I was 6 years old, but I still had some sense of the erotic. I got in trouble for "talking dirty" to the pretty little girl next door. And all little boys can have erections & get excited. That doesn't require them to know anything about orgasms or intercourse.

4.) Transgender (TG): "Transgender" is the state of one's "gender identity" (and not their sexual orientation).

I get what you mean, but you may wish to re-word that first sentence. Everyone has a gender identity, but of course not everyone is transexual. :) OTOH, any proper theory of gender has to take into account the whole gender continuum.

Robin