PDA

View Full Version : Percentage who Crossdress

Robin_1616
03-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Does anyone have any reliable accurate data research of what percentage of men cross dress? Both occasional and on a relative regular basis? I'm trying to figure out how odd I am LOL.

Tina Dixon
03-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I Googled it, don't seem to be any.

Karren H
03-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Based on the sample of the three of us in this thread so far I'd say it's 100%

:tongueout

Real answer - NO... but many say it's pretty high .... which leads me to the following question... if so many guys crossdress, why am I not bumping into them at the sales racks at they local department stores??? hehe

Karren

Melanie R
03-18-2007, 04:32 PM
There is no reliable statistics on how many men crossdress. I would estimate that of all men at least 25% have worn feminine clothing. For many men they do not go beyond wearing one or only several items of clothing. I use the statistic of 5% of all men crossdress with frequency ranging from one time a year to 24/7. Of this total I would estimate that less than 3% of all men crossdress on a regular basis. I was asked this question yesterday when my wife and I were giving a workshop on TG issues to a group of marriage and family therapists.

Blonde
03-18-2007, 04:32 PM
It is almost impossable to get an accurate percentage, since alot of CDs are deep in the closet.

Brianna Lovely
03-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Ok, let's open the closet doors, and all you girls say "Here".

One, two, three, yep, that's about right, 10% of the population CDs.
So, in the USA that's
30,000,000 (that's million, honey) so, you're not alone, giggle.

Robin_1616
03-18-2007, 04:41 PM
I know ...I'm like completely opposite of the closet. The only time I dress is to go out about 4 times a year. But when I do I do it up big time. I was hoping to get some solid data to use it on my wife so she doesn't think it's totally out of the box. (Then MABE I can convince her to go out a lil more often) BUT I don't wan't to push it.

btmgrl6
03-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Guilty as charged. and yup.....ur odd. take a look around at the people that you
mingle with in here.....and you have to ask? :devil:

Steph
Look up the definition of odd in the dictionary....you'll see my pic!

Brianna Lovely
03-18-2007, 04:52 PM
I was hoping to get some solid data to use it on my wife so she doesn't think it's totally out of the box. (Then MABE I can convince her to go out a lil more often) BUT I don't wan't to push it.

As you can read in many posts on this forum, be honest with your wife. She dosen't need statistics, she needs your love and openness.

JenniferR771
03-18-2007, 05:04 PM
On Fictionmania.com--they list 57,000,000 visitors since 1998. You are not alone. Urnotalone.com (12,000 members, by the way).

marie354
03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I remember someone saying something about this sometime on here. I don't remember exactly when but, I think it was 10% of the worlds population CD's. Mostly MTF though. Soooo, Girls just wanna have fun.

SandyR
03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Simple math tells me here its 100% and thats good enough for me!

Hugggsss....

SandyR

susie evans
03-18-2007, 09:34 PM
i don't realy care about the percentages as long as i /we girls can continue enjoying the best of both worlds :heehee:

susie

vbcdgrl
03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
There was a thread on this just last week, I think. Seems the consensus then was 8-10%(of the male population). In the U.S., the M-F population split is about 50-50. So, thats about 12-15 million U.S. males who have CDed in some form. Larger than the population of NYC!

Vikki

Michelle 51
03-18-2007, 10:20 PM
I think it's more than we know because it's really hard to get an accurate survey.If someone i didn't know asked me if i wore women's cloth's guess what my answer would be.Anyway don't worry about it. Just hang with us we''ve all been known to click our high heel's here.

Sheri 4242
03-18-2007, 11:56 PM
It is almost impossable to get an accurate percentage, since alot of CDs are deep in the closet.

While the above quote hits the nail on the head -- that it is impossible to gain a truly accurate percentage b/c so very many CDs are deeply closeted, just about every book or study I have read, some scholarly, some not, puts the average at 10%, plus or minus. I, along with a few others, have conducted some research that pushes the average to somewhere between 25% and 30%. BUT, this research aimed at people who crossdressed in a variety of ways -- some dressed all the way ("to the nines") and some just wore panties, or panties and a bra, some just wore nighties (etc.) -- and everything in between, AND they all dressed with various degrees of frequency, from daily to seldom.

((( It was once said, tongue-in-cheek, on West Wing that -- given the statstics the writers provided -- at least four presidents probably danced in a prom dress in the Oval Office after hours. Wonder if J. Edgar Hoover ever joined in?!! lol )))

Remember, too, that this research has two components that MUST be considered. First, b/c so many of us CDs are deeply in the closet, even greatly fearful of any exposure, it has to be presumed that a percentage of those surveyed (multiple samples) who are crossdressers, still did not tell admit it. Second, the surveys I have participated in did not adequeately distinguish between the different types of CDs, although we tried to do so. So, while I am relevantly confident that most of those answering the survey were, as I am, a male heterosexual CD, you have to take into consideration that there was a small percentage who were gay "drag queens," and some who were "female impersonaters" of the entertainer realm (although most of these probably fit in another CD category), and some were TS. Ironically, some CD's who dressed all the way didn't seem to think that the executive who wears panties every day is a true CD, so there is an obvious division of thought even between us!!!

Perhaps one of the most interesting things this research revealed is something I have absolutely experienced: the younger generation, ESPECIALLY GG's in this general age group of 18-28, plus or minus, have a remarkably tolerant and/or accepting attitude about us compared to any other group! To be sure, there are MANY in this age group who don't, but, this group showed the most acceptance of any other group!!!

I hope this helps to partly answer your question. Reliable data is difficult to come by and difficult to fully analyze.

Roxi Loh
03-19-2007, 12:12 AM
I say we take a straw poll here. We are a pretty good cross-section.

Joni Beauman
03-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Unfortunately, of course we can't poll ourselves - kind of a biased sample. My guess on regular cders is less than 10%. I never notice anybody cding. While it would be interesting to know, I don't think it would matter to me one way or another if it turned out to be 2% or 25%. In fact, if it was 25%, somehow I would feel a little dissapointed. Hard to feel special when your part of a large crowd. Joni

Sheri 4242
03-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Unfortunately, of course we can't poll ourselves - kind of a biased sample. My guess on regular cders is less than 10%. I never notice anybody cding. While it would be interesting to know, I don't think it would matter to me one way or another if it turned out to be 2% or 25%. In fact, if it was 25%, somehow I would feel a little dissapointed. Hard to feel special when your part of a large crowd. Joni

Well, remember that the 25%, plus or minus, figure I reported covers a wide spectrum of men who crossdress for a variety of reasons -- and with an equally wide spectrum of gender idenities. The largest reporting group were heterosexual males, but the samples also included transsexuals (pre-op, post-op, and "never to be "op'ted"), drag queens, female impersonators, men who consider there to be a difference between being labeled a m-t-f heterosexual crossdresser versus those who consider themselves to be transvestites, to those who are fetish dressers. More significantly, within the largest group (those who consider themselves to be m-t-f heterosexual crossdressers), there were those who only CD'd to the extent of wearing panties, all the way to those who wear it all -- and, in context, there were those who only CD'd a few times a year -- like a few who only CD'd on Halloween and maybe on the rare business trip, to those (fortunate enough, like myself) to dress daily.

The vast majority of those sampled would never have been seen "out and about" so you wouldn't have seen them. Most are too fearful and, if they have ever been out, it has been under extremely controlled circumstances. I remember one who reported that he had only ventured out dressed on a few dark nights when he walked down the alley behind his house a few hundred feet. Another had only ventured out when out of town on business to a very large city where he went for a late night drive.

In the main, I am of the opinion that however many of us there are -- and whomever we count as crossdressers by whatever definition -- we are very special human beings!!! After all, IMO we have been "blessed" if you will, with a "second self" -- a dichotomy of our very beings that makes us extra special!!!

Robin_1616
03-19-2007, 09:44 AM
One thing I also wanted to mention...It seems female to male cross dressers are never talked about much. Probally because 95% of women dress in "traditional" men's clothes dailey. ie jeans etc. I wonder why male dressing to female isn't even more predominent or accepted? Is it JUST simply fashion trends??? Look at the 1600 and 1700's?? Will it come back that it is just the "norm" again?

I think it is probally more men's insecurities tho than fashion?

JoAnnDallas
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
IMHO, I feel that the percentage of men that crossdress as women will be like it was for gays. Before the 70's when Gays really came out of the closet. I bet the estimate was lower than what it really turned out to be.

loki_uk
03-19-2007, 02:30 PM
On Fictionmania.com--they list 57,000,000 visitors since 1998. You are not alone. Urnotalone.com (12,000 members, by the way).

Fictionmania, hmm when you get horny over some of those stories you know you're a lost cause

I'm a tranny get me out of here lol

Samantha B L
03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
I've seen various different news programs and some magazine articles about all this.One program said it was like 600,000 crossdressers in the U.S..That's not counting The U.K.,Canada,Germany,France and everywhere else and this news program was very sympathetic and informative and I don't mean to call these TV reporters liars but that figure of "600,000" is feeble and probably a little understated.I read somewhere that there are actually about 3,000,000 crossdressers in the U.S..Some people put that figure at 5,000,000 but I don't know what to say.You can find CD'ing all over the world.I think that you'd probably find that it's in every culture and that the percentage of people who dress is about the same every where.

Kristen Kelly
03-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Lobby to get the question added to the 2010 census." Is anyone in your household a Crossdresser" :D

SandyR
03-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Good Idea Kristen! I like it, I like it alot!!!! hehehe

Kisses....

SandyR

charlie-50
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
id like to see the demigraphic brake down. cp

Deanna2
03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
This topic gets raised from time to time and answers vary considerably. First of all it depends on your definition of CDing. CDing can range from occassionally wearing a pair of femme panties all the way to full on dressing includng bra, wig and makeup. That said, the most common figure I've heard is around 5 percent. So just think the next time you are at a meeting with more than twenty males, 'are you the only CD?'

Sheri 4242
03-20-2007, 03:21 AM
id like to see the demigraphic brake down. cp

What demographic break down would you like that wasn't provided? The data that has been provided in the various posts show significant fluctuations, but, as has been pointed out in the posts, collecting demographical data regarding crossdressing is problematic. A wide spectrum of variables has to be considered, such as those who CD rarely versus those who CD frequently. Likewise, there is considering those who only wear one or two items of female clothing versus those who go all the way -- and there is, sometimes, a bias between the latter group and the former. The age groups, gender identification, and sexual identification all have to be factored in, as well. There are also a wide spectrum of acceptance and/or tolerance levels of GGs, mostly found in their age groupings.

Then there is that ever-present problem of honesty: mtf CDing is viewed as such a taboo by many, that regardless of guarantees that surveys were private (and that there was no way truthful answers would result in outing anybody), there still "seemed" to be (based on exit interviews) an undetermined factor of how many surveyed did not feel free to be open and honest. It seems that many of us have expended such energy at keeping what we are a secret from even our closest of loved ones and friends, that it is not easy to open up to a survey. There is a significant fear factor at play!

In the main, the published literature suggests that 10% is a springboard percentage. Yet, some literature says it is as low as 5%, and a few say it is as high as 20% to 25%. Again, these figures often reflect diversity in the totality of terminology that was utilized. I know several CDs who believe that if one doesn't dress all the way, they aren't a true CD; conversely, the CD who likes to just wear panties feels he is a CD. Some think you should have the desire to dress frequently, some don't feel this way. And, there is the question of gender ID, or, IOW, straight heterosexual CDs versus those who dress b/c the are transitioning TS's, and so on.

Hope this helps.

mellisa
03-20-2007, 04:00 AM
This site is interesting. It says 1 in 5 men do it in some form or another. www.free-expressions.net Look in F.A.Q.

Satrana
03-20-2007, 05:27 AM
One thing to consider - how representative is the membership of this forum compared to the whole crossdressing community. This forum has almost no members who just underdress, but is top-heavy with those who desire to pass.

I would suggest that there are large numbers of men who just underdress or have a fetish for some articles of clothing who do not consider themselves crossdressers since they are not interested in emulating women. They have little interest or need to join forums like this. I suspect that this group greatly outnumbers those who are more deeply involved in crossdressing.

If I were a man who only wore panties for example, I would not feel any meaningful connection to the members here who mostly celebrate passing by posting pictures of themselves in full emulation and using phrases like "I love being a woman".

I think those who desire to emulate women probably number maybe 2-3% of the male population, with another 2-3% who crossdress without emulating, while underdressers/fetishers probably number an additional 10-20%.

suzy
03-20-2007, 05:32 AM
I have no idea.......no way to know for sure....too many closeted people, but I'll take a SWAG and say for MTF at least 50% have tried it and most have liked it....but probably less than that are man enough to continue it for one reason or another. Just my guess......

But....no matter....as long as I am left to dress as I like..the rest can or not...totally an individual decision.:D

Sheri 4242
03-20-2007, 08:50 AM
but probably less than that are man enough to continue it for one reason or another.:D

Suzy: that part of your post could be a thread unto itself. I recall when I came out to my wife. We were not married at the time. In fact we were fairly early in our relationship when I told her. The day I finally dressed in front of her, her first comment was "it takes a real man to admit what you have and to dress like you are dressed." What a GG! She looked into my soul and saw that the part of me that was feminine was a major part of the qualities that she had fallen in love with! I truly felt blessed!

Sheri 4242
03-20-2007, 08:59 AM
One thing to consider - how representative is the membership of this forum compared to the whole crossdressing community. This forum has almost no members who just underdress, but is top-heavy with those who desire to pass.

I would suggest that there are large numbers of men who just underdress or have a fetish for some articles of clothing who do not consider themselves crossdressers since they are not interested in emulating women. They have little interest or need to join forums like this. I suspect that this group greatly outnumbers those who are more deeply involved in crossdressing.

If I were a man who only wore panties for example, I would not feel any meaningful connection to the members here who mostly celebrate passing by posting pictures of themselves in full emulation and using phrases like "I love being a woman".

I think those who desire to emulate women probably number maybe 2-3% of the male population, with another 2-3% who crossdress without emulating, while underdressers/fetishers probably number an additional 10-20%.

Excellent post Satrana!!! This is why some of the survey figures I was putting out there attempted to break down these exact same "various differences" in crossdressing. Who knows if anybody will ever be able to provide a definitive answer to the question poised by the original post. There are too many differences within our own community regarding what makes up a crossdresser -- full dresser to underdresser, occassional to full time, and so on. Thank you for your take on it b/c your insights go directly to the heart of the answer -- and more succinctly than I could have ever put it!!!

Amy Hepker
03-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I would say that more than 75% have tried something on sometime in their life. I know that not all men would or have, some are so unstable in their lives, they would never be caught dead in female clothing.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Well, cross-dressing or no I'm odd to begin with! That just adds to the pot... But as far as percentages go I've heard everything from around 3-5% to around 20+% of men have cross-dressed at some point. But who can really say? Either way I think the percentage is higher than most people would admit.
I agree with Kristin though, they should put it on the census! But then how many would admit to it, even there? It's a sad truth really that most guys won't fess up to doing this. I guess we're the oddballs after all...

Bev06 GG
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
There is no reliable statistics on how many men crossdress. I would estimate that of all men at least 25% have worn feminine clothing. For many men they do not go beyond wearing one or only several items of clothing. I use the statistic of 5% of all men crossdress with frequency ranging from one time a year to 24/7. Of this total I would estimate that less than 3% of all men crossdress on a regular basis. I was asked this question yesterday when my wife and I were giving a workshop on TG issues to a group of marriage and family therapists.

I guess its impossible to tell because alot of Cds wouldn't dream of sharing that information with anyone. However, when I was at Uni we had a Cd who was a lecturer. His wife worked there too and she was one of my tutors. Once in a lecture on society and culture, she said that a survey that had been done in the USA revealed that over 76% of men had admitted to atleast once in their life trying on female underwear because it felt nicer than theres. Now thats not to say they are crossdressers, just abit curious I suppose. But the same survey revealed that over 40% thought that womens clothes felt nice and a huge 89% thought that womens clothes were much nicer than mens. Doesns't prove a thing I know, but makes you wonder if given the chance more males would indulge.
Bev

Sheri 4242
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I guess its impossible to tell because alot of Cds wouldn't dream of sharing that information with anyone. However, when I was at Uni we had a Cd who was a lecturer. His wife worked there too and she was one of my tutors. Once in a lecture on society and culture, she said that a survey that had been done in the USA revealed that over 76% of men had admitted to atleast once in their life trying on female underwear because it felt nicer than theres. Now thats not to say they are crossdressers, just abit curious I suppose. But the same survey revealed that over 40% thought that womens clothes felt nice and a huge 89% thought that womens clothes were much nicer than mens. Doesns't prove a thing I know, but makes you wonder if given the chance more males would indulge.
Bev

Very interesting, Bev! You are right that a lot of CDs would never share that they are CDers!!! I recently read that mtf CDing is considered much more taboo than coming out as gay or lesbian. While I am getting more and more open abt being a CD, I truly understand the fear of being outed.

I'll bet that your statistics are dead on! They might not ever be provable, but there is probably a great deal of truth therein. I, for one, am glad you shared this information!

Emma England
03-20-2007, 03:57 PM
The only way to find out is to have a survey which was completely anonymous
(i.e. no contact details need be given).

An incentive to fill in a survey would help too, rather than people ignoring it.
I guess the best incentive for a cd is free femme clothing!! :D

XDW Nathan-Natasha
03-20-2007, 06:11 PM
You think something like this would have been researched pretty thoroughly by now. It's a bit uncommon, I guess, but there's less common stuff that's been more thoroughly surveyed. There's some good potential for research here and likely publication in a scholarly journal if someone came up with a good way to measure the number of guys who've cross-dressed.
We've got a framework for a survey going at least...truely anonymous, free femme clothing (hey, I could use that!), something people can't ignore... Well who knows, maybe we'll have an accurate measure some day if someone gets in gear on this.

Danni Barron
03-20-2007, 07:24 PM
.....Is it JUST simply fashion trends??? Look at the 1600 and 1700's?? Will it come back that it is just the "norm" again?

But when, and if, it comes back like the 1600 and 1700's, then we won't be CDs TVs or TGs, or whatever we define ourselves to be, we'll just be wearing the same clothes as all the other men. and if the ladies are wearing roman gladiator style clothes at the time, there'll still be many CDs emulating them, and as many CDs wearing the frills, flounces, and make-up from the 1600's

Go figure -

Satrana
03-21-2007, 06:12 AM
But the same survey revealed that over 40% thought that womens clothes felt nice and a huge 89% thought that womens clothes were much nicer than mens. Doesns't prove a thing I know, but makes you wonder if given the chance more males would indulge.
Bev

Absolutely! men in general would wear many feminine clothes if you removed the fear and prejudice, just as women have adopted many masculine clothes.

Crossdressers are the tips of icebergs, we are the visible 10% which lies above the water while the other 90% of men are invisible under the water.

The only difference between cds and other men is cds are compelled to wear feminine clothing to express themselves despite the prejudices, while other men are too scared to wear feminine clothing to express themselves because of prejudices.

Once you understand this, you have to shake your head and wonder what all the fuss is about!:(

Robin_1616
03-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I just find it really hard to understand why crossdressing is considered a BIGGER taboo than being gay?? This defies logic! But then again societies logic is pretty strange anyway especially in the USA.

Bernice
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Dittoes to Bev06 GG and Satrana...

I've also read studies based on hospital emergency room visits where the study participants are rather uniformly unwilling - as in who wants to be rushed to an emergency room as a patient? - and these studies indicate that about 3% of patients with male genitalia were wearing at least one article of clothing generally considered to be for females - at the time of the hospital visit.

One might try to extrapolate from the above that if 3% are crossdressed to some degree at any one point in time, then surely more must occasionally crossdress...

All of this still becomes nonsense once you embrace the reality that in gender there is no definable duality, but rather a continuous spectrum from the most macho to the most prissy. Most of us here are happy enough to be somewhere in the middle.

Marcie Sexton
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think every one will ever know...

at least until we are recognized and accepted...look at the gay population, there is still doubt as to what %age is gay...and they are much more accepted in main stream america today...until we do away with the attitudes of don't ask don't tell no one will ever know.

Robin_1616
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
And then if it's it such a taboo to dress M to F. Why do 95% of Females CONSTANTLY wear mens clothes with absolutely NO stigma??? I am so confused!! with societies attitudes?

Casey Morgan
03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Ask the guys about females who CONSTANTLY wear mens clothes. When they're not being called butch lesbians (the female opposite of the effeminate gay man) they get a lot of comments (hinted or outright) that they ought to wear women's clothes more. Trust me, once you cross that certain line you DO pay the consequences. They just have a little more room before they get to that line, that's all. And that room can also make it difficult for them to be taken seriously.

The way I see it, the percentage of people who crossdress is large enough that we're not truly alone but small enough that we have to actively initiate contact with other crossdressers. That's not such a bad thing, either way.

Lovely Rita
03-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I don't think accurate data is possible especially when it is so"cloak and dagger," kind of like the census and illegal aliens.

jayseedee
03-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have any reliable accurate data research of what percentage of men cross dress? Both occasional and on a relative regular basis? I'm trying to figure out how odd I am LOL.

You don't look odd to me Robin!:love:

jayseedee
03-22-2007, 09:59 AM
And then if it's it such a taboo to dress M to F. Why do 95% of Females CONSTANTLY wear mens clothes with absolutely NO stigma??? I am so confused!! with societies attitudes?

It would be interesting to know if the fact that so many women usually wear male style clothes has had any effect on the numbers of young crossdressers around. Many psycologists would have one believe that we emulate the women we see when very young and fixate on their clothing as a mistaken but normal response to becoming sexually aware. Maybe we are wearing jeans and jumpers without knowing it,s really crossdressing.... Just a thought!+?

Melora
03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
OMG! The %'s & #'s Are probably HUGE! No census could ever even give a hint of the actual figure!
Here is an interesting poll though: Ms. Rachel Pastell http://rachelpastel.com/
She is having a great poll for her readers of her website. And the results are kinda interesting. Also Rachelle is an absolute sweety with links to other great girls too!, Many of who, are here also.
Check it out.

janetcd2
03-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Thats what some TV show (can't remember which one) said. anyway it feels so good:devil:

Sheri 4242
03-23-2007, 01:53 AM
Thats what some TV show (can't remember which one) said. anyway it feels so good:devil:

I heard that on tv, too, but can't recall on what show. I do know that on "The West Wing," the character "CJ Craig" (Allison Janney) said it was 25%, then made a joke abt how many Presidents may have gone to the Oval Office in the middle of the night in a Prom Dress.