PDA

View Full Version : Gender Identity Disorder and non-binary gender individuals

Casey Morgan
03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I have been looking at the criteria for diagnosing GID. The criteria as listed on Wikipedia shows a rather obvious ignorance of the fact that there is anything other than male and female where gender is concerned. In fact, this section of the DSM would seem to indicate that individuals that do not identify as male or female (gender) do not exist.

So, leaving the last century unenlightened "expert" view behind, does anyone know how GID pertains or not to people who are between genders? I believe I have read someplace where "cross-gender identification" was worded differently to indicate a non-identification with one's "own" gender. Given that I do not identify as male and would therefore seem to meet the criteria for GID under that alternate wording, would that indicate that I may have GID and not GIDNOS? Would GIDNOS be the appropriate diagnosis for someone who is neither male nor female? Or is someone like me not even considered by much of the medical/psychological community, and therefore GID/GIDNOS can neither be confirmed nor ruled out?

pattyme
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
There are two ways to read your question. 1) You identify as intersexed and are wondering if your identifying as intersexed changes the diagnosis. 2) You are intersexed, hermaphroditic, and are wondering if a diagnosis of GID can be made in these cases.

I identify as intersexed as do many people diagnosed with GID. I would think the answer to scenario 1 is no it does not change the diagnosis. Society, as in most people, may accept the idea of multiple genders but the norm is two genders. Therapy is aimed at normalizing not harmonizing one with ones gender identity - or so it seems.

In the second senario there are a lot of people arguing that physicaly intersexed persons should not be diagnosed with GID. This argument will persist until there are definitive medical or physical tests for GID thus distinguishing the two conditions. There are others that will apply GID in these cases by looking at behavior patters rather than anatomy - they already see this as two distinct conditions that may or may not have a correlation.

If the above questions are causing you problems as they are for me then perhaps my therapists advice may apply - spend more time in the opposite genders role and see if it works better for you. Once you know were you feel best these questions may have little importance to you.

Patty

Calliope
03-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Did GID come out of the experience of someone with "GID" or is that another outside-looking-in conception? The DSM is psychiatry-by-committee, so beware.

I believe a LOT of people are between genders, or switching genders under conventional clothes (society's stealth) - and it's cool so far as the person is cool.

It's only a "disorder" when someone is so unhappy, they're willing to place their identity and psyche in the hands of a stranger who can only be trusted to cash the check.

Er, what was the question again?

kerrianna
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Did GID come out of the experience of someone with "GID" or is that another outside-looking-in conception? The DSM is psychiatry-by-committee, so beware.

I believe a LOT of people are between genders, or switching genders under conventional clothes (society's stealth) - and it's cool so far as the person is cool.

It's only a "disorder" when someone is so unhappy, they're willing to place their identity and psyche in the hands of a stranger who can only be trusted to cash the check.

Er, what was the question again?

:iagree: I've been reading more and more stuff, some of it clinical, and the more I read the more depressed I get and the more confused I get. I guess what I'm realizing is I don't fit into a clinical box, I'm not that unhappy with my lot in life (although I have lots of 'issues'), and I don't care to think of myself as having a 'disorder'.

I'm framing my entire life these days on a greater spiritual-mystery quest, so the gender questions I have I tend to relate more to aspects of my spirit, or soul, or whatever it is I am and I am a part of. The more mundane qualities of biological gender are interesting, they give me different flavours, they allow me different insights and accentuate different emotions, but to me they are a vehicle to my stellar drive.

Sorry if I'm being too obtuse or poetic here, but it's difficult to find an adequate language for this. I like to operate outside of conventions, including religious/spiritual ones, so I'm kind of making it up as I go along...but I know power and truth when I touch it, and both my gender-voices have unique ways of getting me there.

So overall, I'd say I'm cool...so it's cool. :happy:

Casey Morgan
03-20-2007, 09:41 AM
So, as long as I know what and who I am and I'm comfortable with that, it doesn't really matter what "they" say, especially since "they" aren't talking about me but people in general? I guess that makes sense. And I'm not unhappy about who I am. Reading over the replies, I realize that other than in a curiosity sort of way I guess I don't really care one way or the other if I have GID, GIDNOS, or whatever else they call it. It's not like it's going to change anything or open up or deny anything for me.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it. I guess I should really stop doing "outside" research into myself. I know the background material, now I have to see how the novel plays out. :happy:

BTW, I'm not intersexed Patty. (Um, is it disrespectful or offensive to wish I was?) The outside is male but the inside isn't male or female.

Dasein9
03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I was reading Judith Butler recently, and she points out something kind of interesting -- GID is the only "disorder" in the DSM that is diagnosed by and has treatment prescribed by the patient. I can go to a psychiatrist and claim to be schizophrenic, but s/he won't believe me until s/he has made a diagnosis. Then s/he will prescribe treatment. But if I go to a psychiatrist and claim that I have GID, then s/he accepts that as the defining symptom of the "disorder. "

There are some advantages to keeping GID in the DSM for gender divergent people, and there are also some disadvantages. I'm inclined to think we ought to keep it there for the sake of those who are benefitted, but those of us who won't be benefitted should avoid being labeled by a psychiatrist. Of course, this means that all the studies will continue to be skewed.

Casey Morgan
03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh wow, I've never heard that before. That's pretty wild. "Patient, heal thyself."