PDA

View Full Version : Results of tests after 2-1/2 months

Julie
02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
When I returned to the doctor's office for a checkup I was a little surprised. The reaction from the doctor wasn't very positive. It was something like "I have never seen no reaction to HRT like this before". I thought he was being impatient. After all I started on 1mg for two weeks increasing 1mg every two weeks thereafter. So I had only been on 5mg for a couple of weeks.

But then I got the lab results back. My estradiol (estrogen) level was 54, the highest level within the normal range for men, when I first got tested pre-HRT. I "knew" the latest lab results would show a signifigant increase, my body was just taking it's sweet time reacting to the meds. Well when I saw the results I was saddened, to say the least. My estradiol level had gone up only three points to 57. :( My body was not absorbing the estrogen. When I talked to the doctor he said to stay on the program (6mg estrogen and 50mg spiro) for the next three months. Why keep doing something when it's not working? But that's what he wanted me to do.

I thought to myself, "Easy for you. But I am supposed to waste three months, not to mention the cost of the meds, and then we will see what happens?" Not what I expected from a doctor who is supposed to be highly regarded by the TS community.

So I'm stuck?

"But what about transdermal?" I asked. "It worked before. Maybe my digestive system is the culprit, so just eliminate it."

That's what I'll be doing now. As soon as I get the patches I'll stop the pills. We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck!

Chrissycd
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
he feels that it may just need more time to kick in. I don't know enough about it to really comment intelligently though. I know you're anxious b/c you don't want to "waste" time, but maybe he knows more about it than he's telling you. It'll happen for you. Are you considering seeing someone new for a second opinion? That might be the way to go. Keep your chin up.
Hugs,
Chrissy

crispy
02-13-2005, 11:06 PM
"But what about transdermal?" I asked. "It worked before. Maybe my digestive system is the culprit, so just eliminate it." That's what I'll be doing now. As soon as I get the patches I'll stop the pills. We'll see how that goes. Wish me luck

wishing you all the luck in the world, Julie.

It worked scarily fast for me (well the titties anyway) and I am nervous about doing another 2 months because I don't particularly want to show under my boy clothes. :eek:

My patches were 100mcg per day. Development started after 3 weeks and continued for 2 weeks after I stopped 2 months ago. The lovely achy itchy feeling is still there. I didn't use anything else. And I am definitely not young. ;)

take care.

Tristen Cox
02-14-2005, 03:35 AM
I know how you must feel hearing that Julie. Not what I would expect either, although perhaps there are other factors preventing them from doing more. Regardless, best of luck on the patches. Just hang in there ;) *hugs*

Happy Valentine's Day

Love
Tristen

racheal
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Everyone is different when it comes to assimilating medication. I myself have a strong rezilliance to pain medication (I have frequent migraines due to light sensitivity). Take heart, maybe the medication will take a while to 'work itself in' and get doing what it's meant to do. See what happens once 6 months have rolled by. Maybe by that time, the mediciation will ahve taken full effect.

ChristineRenee
02-14-2005, 08:12 AM
It probably all varies with the individual Julie. My progress has been pretty gradual too. I just got the ok to go 200mg a day on the spiro. (testosterone is a bitch ain't it?) My breasts are developing...slowly...but I do see progress. The beard thing drives me nuts...it has softened and lightened from what it was, but still not where I want to be at all with it. I'm supposed to be getting the patches too and I hope that will help accelerate the process along. Still have to make sure we do everything as safely as possible of course.

I know we are the same age and maybe because of it the results won't be as significant or that it might just take longer for us. So hang in there hon....you're not alone in this. We are basically science projects here...but I believe it will happen for us in time!;)

Love,
Chrissie

Julie
02-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks girls, for the support. What blew me away was not the lack of physical response but the negligible increase in blood level estradiol. Physical reactions differ for everyone but there should have been a signifigant increase in estradiol from the blood test. It means my body is not absorbing the meds. It could be happening in the digestive system where it's not breaking down and just passing or I am resistant to that particular brand of estradiol or somewhere in between.

I remember having similar results from the patch as Crispy has. I went onto a TS forum and told of the rapid response and other TSs couldn't believe it. They thought I was imagining it. I stopped because I started to show and hadn't at that time admitted to myself this is what I want to do.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see the same results from the patch as I did before. It's funny how when I was "sneaking" the meds back a few years ago I was developing so fast it was scary. Now that I have committed to transitioning it sems like it's taking forever. I sound just like a little kid, don't I? :p

What's funny is I swear my skin has softened. The nurse at the doctor's ofice said my face had changed since my last visit, that fine lines have disappeared, a sign that the estrogen is working. But the blood test didn't show it????? Wierd!

DonnaT
02-15-2005, 07:59 PM
sounds like the patches will be the best for you. Your liver probably filters the blood/pills too well.

Good Luck

Virginia
02-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Julie,
have not contacted you in a while! I have been doing batle with demons not of my own creation. Glad you are proceeding with your transformation and your picture sure makes you look cute, even better than before. Don't know much about horomones, so all I can say is just take it easy and listen to your body. I think about you often.
Virginia

Stephanie Brooks
02-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi Julie!

So sorry about the results so far. Maybe the patches will work much better for you. Good luck Lady, and hang in there!

Sierra
02-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi Julie,Patches and or injectables are the best way[safest liver and kidney wise] it seems from what I read.I do oral but low doses[2.mg] and let it disslove and dont drink anthing for a while to help it be asorbed in the skin in my mouth it works for me.My first signs were hardness behind the nipples,leg cramps,headaches and later up close vision went and when on pre opp doses sex drive and loss of erections.So I can only handle low a dose to be active itimately and since I drink to much beer ,dont want to beat up my liver. :rolleyes:

Julie
02-26-2005, 07:29 PM
I've been on the patch now for a couple of weeks. WOW! What a difference! Things are happening now. I don't know why I didn't insist on them the first time I was at the doc's. :confused:

JenCd
03-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Hi Julie, my name is Jen and am new, Im glad the patches are working...How quick and what changes did you notice...Jen

DonnaT
03-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Missed your last update somehow, Julie.

Sounds like you're really growing. I'm so happy for you.

How's everything else? The emotions, etc.?

Virginia
03-09-2005, 04:38 PM
sounds wonderful, Julie, but we can not have any bra-busting going on!! I am very happy for you.
Virginia

Anita Oneida
03-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Hi Julie--
I've missed you, and am glad to see you're doing well. I hope you and your wife have been able to maintain your friendship, even if you are not staying together. (I believe that's what you had said, months ago.)
Anita