PDA

View Full Version : Shopping day 2 - Kohl's spree and a letdown

Nicole
03-21-2007, 07:52 AM
I tend to ramble when I make these posts, so I'll try to keep this one short.

Tonight my sweet wife and I went to Kohl's to shop for the both of us. I wasn't terribly excited because Kohl's is ground zero for boring guy-clothes and I didn't expect anything different in the women's section. Wrong! The women's section was overflowing with dozens of racks of pretty camisoles, dresses, stretchy tees, skirts, sweaters, and a lot more. They were having an incredible sale on everything too. 60-80% off! Shopping squeee!

We managed to pick up about 10 items total, half of which were for me. I found two kimono tops ($12), a black cardigan ($20), a pair of pink and black panties w/cute skull and hearts pattern ($6), and a beautiful pink 100% cashmere sweater for only $16!!!

My exact size remains a mystery so we purchased L and XL versions of everything and went home. I didn't have time to try anything on in the store. As you might imagine I was giddy all the way home. Sadly, nothing fit. Not even close. I am about six feet tall and slender and none of the items covered my torso adequately. Shoes? Forget about it. I am a size 12. Even the panties were wrong. Way out of proportion. Boy-shorts are much more flattering on a figure like mine.

I gave the pink sweater to my wife since it fit her. It made her very happy and honestly she deserved it for putting up with me. Everything else is going back today. :(

This is so depressing. I doubt I will ever be able to shop at most mainstream stores. So much for instant gratification.

Tonight, I am going out for a third try. I found a HOT pair of mod-girl shorts at Express and must have them. We will also hit Lane Bryant. I am very hopeful that I will find something there. And I might sneak over to Payless for some shoes too.

Getting closer! :GE:

Holly
03-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Karen, don't give up. You're on the right track. Remember the advice you received in your other thread about being honest with the SA's and letting them know you are shopping for yourself. They will be especially helpful at stores such as Lane Bryant in helping you find things to compliment your figure/size. Above all, have fun!

Casey Morgan
03-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I am about six feet tall and slender and none of the items covered my torso adequately.

You'll probably have to look in the Tall sections. I don't know where; I'm still too big for tall clothes. Talls are typically for women about 5'7" to 5'11", but I wouldn't think you'd have a problem at "only" 6' tall.

But I have found that "big shirts" and longer tops fit the way regular tops should. If something comes to mid thigh on a model then it will just cover my underwear. And short sleeve is definitely better than long sleeve. They at least look right on my arms.

Good luck with your shopping tonight. They say the third time's the charm. Here's hoping it's so. :)

Nicole
03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Holly. Last night was a lot more fun than Monday's nerve-wracking solo adventure. Having my wife with me made it much easier to concentrate on the clothes. Since we will both be going out tonight, I will consider the direct approach. However, my wife isn't keen on the idea yet. She is concerned for my safety, I think.

Casey, I appreciate the advice. Not all stores have a tall section, but if I see one I will be sure to try the offerings. Looking forward to tonight's adventure!

Karren H
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
You should have tried on everything on in the store!! Kohl's is the best for that since they have unattended fitting rooms!! Grab your fem things and go to the mens fitting room!! Easy!!

And the clearence racks at Kohl's is the best!! Always deals and prices that rival thrift stores in my opinion!!

Karren

Nicole
03-21-2007, 08:28 AM
And the clearence racks at Kohl's is the best!! Always deals and prices that rival thrift stores in my opinion!!
Karren

No kidding! I don't know why I wasted so much time at Ross. The clothes at Kohl's are nicer and in many cases just as affordable if not less! Finding something that fits is another matter. I will keep looking for 'tall' and experiment with x1 or x2 sizes (though I hope they won't be too large and baggy).

JulieC
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Kohl's is ground zero for boring guy-clothes

There's another kind?!?!?

"Welcome to our men's shoe department. Would you like brown or black shoes?"

"Welcome to our men's business clothes department. Would you like a suit or a suit?"

"Welcome to our men's underwear department. Would you like cotton or cotton underwear?"

Reminds me of a commercial years ago showing Russian models coming out on stage wearing the same thing every time, but with different props.."Swimwear!" (holding a beachball) "very nice, very nice, next".

-BB

susie evans
03-21-2007, 11:23 AM
the previous post are right about kohls it's one of my favorite places to shopp the sa's have alllways been friendly and helpfull i have found that most stores and there attendents are very atentive to the costumer and to therehave funn it's good start:hugs: wants :hugs: :hugs:

susie

Nicole
03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Reminds me of a commercial years ago showing Russian models coming out on stage wearing the same thing every time, but with different props.."Swimwear!" (holding a beachball) "very nice, very nice, next".

-BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAKtYGJZSM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Twice as funny now!! :roflmao:

Danigyrl29
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Ditto, Kohl's is great. Found a great pair of women's pants for super cheap. I have never dressed in anything but skirts and dresses, but these black pinstriped pants were great! Took them to the Men's dressing room, tried them on and walked out to show my wife.

The one thing I did discover that sizes are so different. I am 6' tall and have the unfortunate genetic lovehandle curse. I am also somewhat muscular up top and have to hide in XL XXl clothing. Size 16 dresses etc. The strange thing is the pants I had found were size 14 in the misses section. Fit like a glove and look great with heels!

JulieC
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWAKtYGJZSM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Twice as funny now!! :roflmao:

That's exactly the commercial I was thinking of :)

Observing rush hour in a major city can be a lot like watching a real-life recreation of 1984...men looking all essentially the same, marching along. Dare to do anything different and the [-]thought[/-] fashion police will get you.

-BB

MsJanessa
03-21-2007, 05:09 PM
hon with a build like that you could be a model---I have the same problem ---the hard part is I'm about a size 10--12 skirt or pants and a 12-14 top---try buying a slightly larger top than your skirt or pant size---you could also try them on in the store( in the mens dressing room if you are in drab) and if they fit then take them.--if not don't worry about it.

Lovely Rita
03-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Kohl's has been a great experience for me too. I think they are trying to compete with other stores and doing a great job. I found some really cute panty and bra sets last time I was there.