PDA

View Full Version : Why Girls Rule

Helana
02-14-2005, 03:17 AM
I read this article which sums it up nicely, I thought I would share it. :)

"What should I wear?" everyone asked me, the company party organizer, a couple weeks ago. "Oh, something festive" I responded vaguely to one person. "Party attire," I replied to another. The girls got it: they knew they could dress as they would for a first date or after-work cocktails, but the boys were clearly in a polarized quandary - they wondered: should I wear (1) a tie or (2) my cargo pants?

At the party, the gals were garbed a glorious array of garments- simple black dresses, sequined shimmer tops, newsboy hats, bondage-inspired frocks, frilly vintage blouses, leather skirts, faux fur jackets.

The boys wore jeans, khakis or dress slacks, coupled with either a blue button down shirt (50%) a sweater (25%) or a long-sleeved cotton shirt (25%).

It's simpler for boys, of course, this fashion thing - because options are limited, there's no need to spend endless hours trying on outfits, days are not consumed contemplating what to wear before a big event, magazines are read in order to determine how best one can get laid rather than for fashion inspiration, and boys needn't visit shopping malls since (1) they can just wait until Christmas to get their entire years' wardrobe and (2) most electronics shops have outlets outside the mall.

Yes, the boys may have it easier but who says a girl doesn't like a little challenge and a lot of hard work?

The beauty of girls' versus boys' fashion is that we can dress according to mood: from flirty, frilly dresses to festive, sparkly sweaters to sensible sweater sets and sexy slit skirts. Fashion can not only echo but can also alter a mood.

I get a triple-espresso sized buzz when those gorgeous new boots I saw in Lucky magazine are purchased at half the advertised price or when that entrance-making party dress is located.

When on vacation, I love to visit museums, sample local cuisine, learn historic facts, see architecturally significant buildings - but what I really love to do is shop for clothing. Even if I can get items of comparable quality for less money at home, there's something to buying a new item from foreign land, even if that foreign land is Dallas. There's an odd satisfaction in knowing that others in your town can't get their hands on what you're wearing. Saying "Oh, thank you. It's from ____ (fill in foreign city)," just puts a (admittedly wicked) grin on my face.

Formal events, such as weddings, are places where the great chasm between girls and boys apparel options can be witnessed. Girls can choose from options such as: silk, lame', taffeta, organza, velvet, lace, satin, chiffon - and that's just the fabric. I won't even begin to list styles or colors. For boys, a penguin suit of some prescription is derigueur. And while I think all men look handsome in a tuxedo, I'd be really pissed off if someone came to a party wearing the same dress as me. Yuckins, just the thought of being in a sea of similarly attired peers sends shivers up the spine.

Girls not only have a wider array of clothing items from which to choose, what we put on our feet also makes the fashion field less than even. There are few fashionable footwear formulas that will give a boy extra inches. But girls have hordes of heels that help heighten. Sure, we may show up later at our podiatrist's door with tears in our eyes, but hey, we looked like sex goddesses in those five-inch stilettos, didn't we?

And don't even get me started on push-up bras. Not only can we accentuate, elongate, suck and tuck with apparel, but we are also blessed to be able to actually purchase a truly revolutionary garment that gives us ta-tas. That's right: it's called the miracle bra friends, and don't think for a moment that I'm afraid to employ desperate tactics when I have on the perfect plunging neckline. (Sure it's faux-cleavage but I'm truly not concerned with how the cleavage got thereā€¦I'm just thankful someone was kind and brilliant enough to help us B- cups out!)

Jan W
02-14-2005, 03:53 AM
My goodness Helana what a well thought out post!

Could not have put it better.

Nothing arouses mega envy in me than observing a beautifully presented woman in very feminine fashion. I mean all the whole package. Hair, makeup, dress, shoes and jewellery.

A feminine woman is truly a beautiful sight.

And you are correct about the heels too! Fantastic at any price.

Love Jan

Tristen Cox
02-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Very true words Helana. I have often wondered if there is any limit to all the combinations of female clothing, then again does it matter :p Even if men had as many different clothes and shoes to choose from I would still not be interested in them. I love sexy pretty outfits, and do not ever want to stand beside someone wearing the same thing as I am :rolleyes: Good post.

Love
Tristen

ChristineRenee
02-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Great post Helana. Oh the options, the options...it does boggle the mind. One of the best things we girls have going for us!:cool:

Ya gotta love it!;)

Love,
Chrissie:)

Sharon
02-14-2005, 07:02 AM
It's a terrific article Helena.
It's funny that I never really thought about it before, but I really dress to suit my mood now. Excepting for special occasions, men usually dress the same every day, and their closets are typically just a sea of monochromatic
pants and shirts.
But women have such a wide variety of options, even those who must adhere to some sort of dress code at work. Do we wear slacks with a plain or colorful top? Or maybe we'll wear a skirt with a flirty top. We can wear a drop-dead gorgeous dress that hugs our curves, or if we prefer for the day, a looser, more billowy, yet still feminine, dress. This is before we even consider which shoes, jewelry, hose/v/ stockings, a myriad of undergarment possibilities, and so forth that we can choose from. And our closets are awash with bright colors and a wide variety of fabrics -- everything from cotton to wool to silk.
Men often go their entire adulthood with the same haircut, change only occuring as it grays and thins. We can change our hairstyle almost daily if we're up to it. We can brush it forward one day, and then pull it back tight the next. Do we stay with our natural color? Or maybe we'll go auburn or blond. See what is said about a man who gets a new color every time he goes to a barber. And god forbid if he gets a perm!
It may be a man's world still in many regards, at least in regards to income and power, but it is women who have the freedom of expression. Just a slight variance in our attire, and we can convey an entire new attitude. And we do!

Holly
02-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Helena,

Thanks for posting this. It pretty well sums up what I have been thinking all along. Men have a "role" they are forced to play everyday and it is reflected in their wardrobe. Girls have the freedom to be how they feel at any given moment and the clothes they wear reflect it. <sigh>

Melissa A.
02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
My male wardobe is pretty easy to sum up: Jeans, t-shirts and polos, Khakis, button down shirts, a few sweaters and sweatshirts. 2 pairs of sneaks and 2 pairs of dress shoes.

In just the six months since the re-birth and now lifelong acceptance and love of Melissa as a big part of me, I have:

-At least 2 dozen skirts of all different lengths, styles, colors and fabrics
-About the same amount of blouses, shirts, and sweaters- all different.
-six pairs of lovely shoes- many more to come!
-3 sexy dresses.
-panties, bras, braslips, camis, and lingerie in a variety of colors and styles.

And I'm just getting started! I so adore shopping, I "get it" now.

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Katiegirl
02-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Helana,

The article is so very true,and well written.

Like Melissa I only started building my fem wardrope since October and now its bigger than my drabs. I have even started replacing my drap trousers with slacks as they fit better and no one notices.

One thing that was said in the article I have found myself doing, is dressing to fit my mood. I had not thought about it before but on reflexation I do.

:)

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch

Rachel Ann
02-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Wonderful post, Helana!

My business wardrobe is suits and/or black dress pants w/jacket, and tie. The whole world seems to have gone to "business casual" but that's not the image that I care to present as a consultant.

Outside the workplace, jeans and T shirts usually. Something nicer
for a party or a dinner out.

At home, girl clothes :D (also at the TG club).

Once, at a workplace, the task of making invitations to the Christmas Party (at a swank hotel) fell to a girl from England. She put "Dress Informal" on it. It took a few of us to convince her that everyone here (San Francisco area) would take that to mean wearing grubbies, not the suits and ties and feminine equivalents that she was thinking of! :p

" ... Formal events, such as weddings, ... For boys, a penguin suit of some prescription is derigueur. And while I think all men look handsome in a tuxedo, ... just the thought of being in a sea of similarly attired peers sends shivers up the spine."In some circles, formal attire for a wedding guest is considered over-the-top if you're not part of the wedding party. The author (apparently a GG) may not have realized that boys tend to take comfort in looking like each other - it means that you didn't make a faux pas!

Love

Helana
02-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks Rachael and everyone else. I really should not be taking any credit at all - you can find more musings from the author, Nancy Boas, at this page. Enjoy!

www.sfgirl.com/girlsrule.html

Georgette
02-24-2005, 08:50 AM
How true how true, women do rule they can devote a whole floor in a department store to the womens fashions, but ussualy they have only part of the department for the men, and that is most of the time shared with maybe the tool departmentLOL.

Wendy me
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
lol yes girls rule..........."he" has 2 pair of sneakers 2 pair of work type boots and 1 pair of dress type shoes ............wendy has boxes full of shoes heels and boots ........
something abought "guy" shopping just not that mutch fun ...........girly shopping thats a 24/7 thing ................veary nice thread...............

Georgette
02-24-2005, 09:04 AM
lol yes girls rule..........."he" has 2 pair of sneakers 2 pair of work type boots and 1 pair of dress type shoes ............wendy has boxes full of shoes heels and boots ........
something abought "guy" shopping just not that mutch fun ...........girly shopping thats a 24/7 thing ................veary nice thread...............
I'm ready lets go SIS :rolleyes:

Stephanie Brooks
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Helena,

Great article. Thanks for sharing it!

I'm not particularly fond of suits and ties, but basically I would be horribly out of place to wear one. Why?

1. I'm a researcher/developer. I'm not management. Dressing up is wearing nice pants, button down oxford, and plain shoes. Most days I could wear blue jeans, tee shirt, and sneakers as my days are spent in front of a computer and white board, not in meetings. Typically I wear nice pants or black jeans and a polo shirt.

2. The Sr. VP/Gen. Mgr. of our division dresses casually, nice shirt and pants, but no suit and tie if he's not seeing the outside customer. He controls ~$100M of business each year. Our company is in the Fortune 100 Best Companies list for the third year in a row.

3. Male middle managers will sometimes wear a tie, but frankly it's a bit divisive. When the SVP/GM is dressing down, the tech staff is dressing down, and you dress up, you're a bit disconnected from The Team.

4. Occasionally we meet with air traffic controllers. I can assure you the easiest way to sabotage effective communication with a controller is to wear a suit and tie.

5. On the other side of the gender fence, one of our tech directors is a doll. She always dresses fashionably. Sometimes she's in skirts and dresses, sometimes slacks. She always looks great.

6. While many of the technical women don't dress up, I'd say they still exercise more options than the men.

In closing, the hottest dressing woman in my area is a M2F TS who just returned from having SRS. That would figure, however. :p