PDA

View Full Version : Movies: Glen & Glenda, Ed Wood & Johnny Depp

Sheri 4242
03-22-2007, 02:23 AM
In another thread, a member was, in part, seeking a movie title that he might obtain and watch with his SO to use as a springboard into discussing crossdressing. I found this intriguing. It was noted that two very good movies -- "The Birdcage" and "To Wong Foo" -- would not be appropriate b/c they dealt with gays in drag. "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Tootsie" -- two more very entertaining films -- were also mentioned and discounted b/c the characters who crossdressed in them did so for very pointed and specific reasons and not b/c the characters were true crossdressers.

I mentioed "Ed Wood," the Johnny Depp film on the life story of Edward Wood, Jr. who, besides being known as Hollywood's worst director, was a crossdresser (and, at times, very openly so).

Lucille Tall suggested "Glen or Glenda," a 1951 film still available on Amazon.

So, for the sake of some new discussion, and b/c their is some cultish interest in the life of the real Ed Wood, I thought I would:

1. Ask everybody if they know of any other movies that might be of value within the franework of being valuable as springboards for discussing CDing???

2.) And, to kick things off, make note that, as far as "Ed Wood" and "Glen or Glenda" go, they are related and both have value!

The real Edward Wood, Jr. wrote, directed, and stared in "Glen or Glenda." (Bela Lugosi also stared; Ed Wood always tried to find a way to include Lugosi in his films.) "Glen or Glenda" was filmed in 1953 and was released on DVD in 2000 or 2001. A quick synopsis of the movie (which is available through Amazon) is as follows: After discovering the suicide of a transvestite, a police inspector seeks enlightenment from a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist tells him two stories. "Glen" is to be married to "Barbara," but must find a way to tell her of his desire to wear her angora sweaters, and of his cross-dressing needs in general. (The real Ed Wood loved to wear angora sweaters!) Another is the story of "Alan," who decides to physically become a female via surgery (based on the contemporary story of Christine Jorgensen). So, this movie also has elements of TSism in it in addition to CDing.

The movie "Ed Wood" was filmed in 1994, with Johnny Depp playing Ed Wood, and also staring Sarah Jessica Parker, Vincent D'Onofrio, Bill Murray, Martin Landau, and Patricia Arquette; it was directed by Tim Burton. The plot line of "Ed Wood" is basically the real Ed Wood's adult history as "Hollywood's worst-ever director/producer." His crossdressing comes up several times during the movie (yep, Johnny Depp in a skirt and angora sweater), but isn't the entire focus of the movie.

Both movies have elements of truth in them -- and both address crossdressing and the inner need to do so.

So, anybody know of any other informative, helpful movies? Anynody seen these two, and, if so, what was your take on them?

Rachel Newark
03-22-2007, 06:41 AM
How about 'Just Like a Woman', amusing, and sympathetic and very loosely based on a true story ( VERY loosely )

Rachel Newak

Emily Ann Brown
03-22-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll second JUST LIKE A WOMAN..........is an excellent film about a well adjusted crossdresser. Only good one that comes to mind that doesn't include the desire to transition.

Emily Ann

Karren H
03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
I'll second JUST LIKE A WOMAN..........is an excellent film about a well adjusted crossdresser. Only good one that comes to mind that doesn't include the desire to transition.
Emily Ann

Hmmmmmm Maybe you could make a movie along the same lines as "Just Like a Woman", Em? It could be a comedy too.... Well maybe less the well adjusted part...... Ohhhh and the happy ending part.... Maybe just a short film...

But it could have guns in it!!! Kind of like Dirty Harry only in drag...... "Do you feel lucky, punk?........ Love your top.... Did you get that at Macy's??" Hehe

:D

Love ya.... Karren

Emily Ann Brown
03-22-2007, 09:29 AM
"Are you feeling lucky punk ? Was that 5 OR 6 shots from my hairspray can?"
GIGGLE GIGGLE !

Or maybe a weird remake of that last Sandra Bullock film where a crossdresser finds the girl of her dreams in a handicapped stall at work where she dresses, except the GG was there everyday 2 years earlier.

Emily Ann

Tina B.
03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Well I hate to show my age, but what about "Some Like it Hot" to bring up cross dressing. A light comedy to bring up a heavy subject!
Tina B.

carolinewalker_2000
03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Tina,

Doesn't matter whether you are showing your age or what; "Some Like It Hot" is one of the ALL TIME great films! (...and the fact that it involves cross-dressing is, for once, incidental to its enjoyment.)

Julogden
03-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Barbara,

I found "Glen or Glenda" and "Ed Wood" to be mainly campy fun. While Wood probably intended "Glen or Glenda" to tell the CD'ers story in a compassionate way, he was so intrinsically bad at making movies that it comes off as strange and campy, at best.

As others have said, "Just Like a Woman" is an excellent film (Julie Walters is great in this one), pretty much the only one that I can think of that is specifically about a straight CD. While I love "Some Like It Hot" too, it's not about CD's, even though Jack Lemmon's character was getting into it by the end.

Julie Walters was in another fun British film that had a couple TG characters who were treated with compassion, "Personal Services".

Carol:hugs:

Rachel Newark
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Well I hate to show my age, but what about "Some Like it Hot" to bring up cross dressing. A light comedy to bring up a heavy subject!
Tina B.

"Well, nobody's perfect "

Agreed, an excellent film :-)

Rachel Newark

Sheri 4242
03-22-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Barbara,

I found "Glen or Glenda" and "Ed Wood" to be mainly campy fun. While Wood probably intended "Glen or Glenda" to tell the CD'ers story in a compassionate way, he was so intrinsically bad at making movies that it comes off as strange and campy, at best.

As others have said, "Just Like a Woman" is an excellent film (Julie Walters is great in this one), pretty much the only one that I can think of that is specifically about a straight CD. While I love "Some Like It Hot" too, it's not about CD's, even though Jack Lemmon's character was getting into it by the end.

Julie Walters was in another fun British film that had a couple TG characters who were treated with compassion, "Personal Services".

Carol,

First, you are absolutely correct about Ed Wood being so very bad at making movies! He was so bad that it is probably the single-most reason he is so well-known and and has a cult-like following. Go figure! LOL A'hhh, such is life!

Second, I read a synopsis of "Just Like a Woman," and it sounds like a great movie -- sensitive and relevant. I wonder how I could buy a copy? Amazon does have a few copies for sale, but they are formatted for Region 2 DVD players. (And, Amazon has the caveat that the copies they have for sale are Region 2 encoded and that, "they will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1] . . . This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV." That figures, too. *sigh*

Barbara

Sasha Anne Meadows
03-22-2007, 05:32 PM
If you can find it Just Like a Woman it is one of the best t movies ever produced. It is pretty accrate about who we are. One word of caution though: they use the term transvestite which we all know is not acceptable anymore. But this was made more thana dozen years ago so just keep that in mind. Now enjoy especially with your SO.

Julogden
03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Second, I read a synopsis of "Just Like a Woman," and it sounds like a great movie -- sensitive and relevant. I wonder how I could buy a copy? Amazon does have a few copies for sale, but they are formatted for Region 2 DVD players. (And, Amazon has the caveat that the copies they have for sale are Region 2 encoded and that, "they will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1] . . . This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV." That figures, too. *sigh*

Barbara
Hi Barbara,

I know, I've been looking for a DVD version too, but apparently it hasn't been released for North American distribution on DVD, only for the UK. Are there multi-region DVD players?

I have it on VHS tape, which was released here in the USA. You might be able to find one of those, maybe check EBay, or if someone knows how to get past the copy protection, they could put the VHS version on DVD for you.

jenny_centaur
03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
"Ed Wood" is my favourite tranny movie because it comes across that his tranvestism is simply a coincidental part of his life and personality, rather than his primary focus.

I don't know about anyone else, but I felt a lot of empathy with that.

Sheri 4242
03-24-2007, 03:06 AM
"Ed Wood" is my favourite tranny movie because it comes across that his tranvestism is simply a coincidental part of his life and personality, rather than his primary focus.

I don't know about anyone else, but I felt a lot of empathy with that.

You are right! Wood's transvestism was portrayed as just a part of his lfe and his being. Like many of us, the movie seemed to indicate that he CDed more when his stress levels were up. I, too, thought the fact that the movie didn't portray his CDing as the priary focus of his life was important -- it was shown to be just a part of his being in a "no big deal" manner.

(As an aside, if Wood hadn't been so very bad at making movies, we might not know as much as we do about him. Go figure!)

Lisa Golightly
03-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately the best films, in my opinion, have dealt with transsexualism. CDing characters are normally a bit too comic for my taste... I've seen an awful lot of films, and to be honest I think a couple of Eddie Izzard shows on dvd would be much more valuable. I think he has done wonders for disarming people's prejudice. Plus as he is very funny on all subjects he tackles CDing is made a ridiculous thing for people to worry about... 'He's a bit confident for a bloke in a dress isn't he?' :)

KarenEdwards
03-24-2007, 06:44 AM
Another film to consider is "Bruno" starring Gary Sinese and Shirley McClain. Ms. McClain also directed the film. It's the story of a little boy (around 8 years old) who is a genius at spelling (as in spelling bees) and also a crossdresser. The movie does a pretty good job of explaining the attraction to crossdressing, especially at the age around which most of us started doing it.

cemab4y
03-24-2007, 07:06 AM
One excellent F-to-M film is "Yentl". Barbra Streisand dresses up as a boy to go to Hebrew School. Winds up marrying Amy Irving. Outs herself to Mandy Patnkin. The women in the aisle in front of me wept.

One of the few Western films: "Little Big Man". An indian "Little Bear" prances around the teepee wearing a blanket with hearts sewed on it. He asks Dustin Hoffman to come to his teepee and says "I'll be your wife!".

Julogden
03-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Another film to consider is "Bruno" starring Gary Sinese and Shirley McClain. Ms. McClain also directed the film. It's the story of a little boy (around 8 years old) who is a genius at spelling (as in spelling bees) and also a crossdresser. The movie does a pretty good job of explaining the attraction to crossdressing, especially at the age around which most of us started doing it.
Hi Karen,

Yep, that's a fun one too, although it does seem to wander a bit between dealing with the TG Bruno and his mother who is dealing with weight problems, not the most focussed film I've ever seen.

I saw it on broadcast TV with the name "Bruno", as you stated, but if you go looking for it on DVD, it's title is "The Dress Code", not sure why they changed the name when they put it on TV.

An excellent film dealing with a youngster who is TG is "Ma Vie En Rose", a Belgian film that's available on DVD too.

cindychan
03-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes I agree with the Ed Wood suggestion. I loved Iron Ladies, but some may think it protrays CD's only as Gays, still it brings a good message about acceptance ( that it is ok for regular people to like CDs). My Life in Pink is a good and realistic view of a young CD boy's stuggle with the issue. It's amazing how the boy's father grows to be accepting and the mother grows to hate her child. I lost it in the scene where the mom cuts the boy's hair, then of course Grandma saves the day.

krisinpink
03-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I really like Depp in most every film he's done...Ed Wood is a movie that I'll agree came off as campy, but, as has been pointed out here, Mr. Wood couldn't help that...he was not a good director. (Tim Burton however, is) To the point, 'Ed Wood' certainly did well to demonstrate that Mr Wood's crossdressing is simply part of his personna...I was glad with the way it was presented in that film.

Another film I've seen that hasn't been listed here, but is really a TS movie is an older European film entitled "I want what I want". It's interesting to watch, and has helped me to understand and see the line in my world between CD and TS.

Jacqui

TxKimberly
03-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I'll second, third, or fourth the support for "Just Like a Woman".

Kim

wannabie
03-24-2007, 08:54 PM
informative movies?

How about, Just One of the Girls with Corey Haiam. What was it like to be a teenaged boy dressed as a girl in highschool. It was fun to watch.

And a friend of mine was telling me about a movie called kinky boots. she said that she couldn't stop laughing. and it had some truths in the movie. I haven't seen it yet and I trust her opinion so I have to see it.

Sedona
03-24-2007, 10:12 PM
There are lots of great movies out there that include CDing themes (Victor/Victoria is one of special interest to the FtM crowd), but I think that Ed Wood is simply the best bet for an in the closet CDing male to use as a springboard. It's not the movie's focus (the bad directing is), and doesn't present CDing in a "scary" over the top way, and is a relatively current movie, so you can watch it together with a couple of more recent Depp classics if need be.

I watched Ed Wood with a girlfriend several years ago, specifically as a springboard to CDing discussions. After talking about the movie's various merits, my gf volunteered "I could never be with a man who did that, it's disgusting." Obviously, one of our final dates.

Good luck,

cindychan
03-25-2007, 10:22 AM
informative movies?

How about, Just One of the Girls with Corey Haiam. What was it like to be a teenaged boy dressed as a girl in highschool. It was fun to watch.

And a friend of mine was telling me about a movie called kinky boots. she said that she couldn't stop laughing. and it had some truths in the movie. I haven't seen it yet and I trust her opinion so I have to see it.

Ya I totally forget about that one! But I wonder why Corey always wore the sweater over his top. Was his arms to buffed?

forget to say there was always bugs bunny. I remember one cartoon where he transfomed Elmer Fudd into a lady ( It seemed really trippy)

Bunny Love
04-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Hello, my one true love - my husband Barbara:love: Was "Connie and Carla" left off your list for a reason? There were some very poignant scenes where one CDer was dealing with his brother about his life choices. I think it's an excellent movie that deals wonderfully with CDing in a unique way.

You got me, Babe!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Sheri 4242
04-25-2007, 12:37 AM
Hello, my one true love - my husband Barbara:love: Was "Connie and Carla" left off your list for a reason? There were some very poignant scenes where one CDer was dealing with his brother about his life choices. I think it's an excellent movie that deals wonderfully with CDing in a unique way.

You got me, Babe!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Ah, my one and only love, what did I ever do to deserve a gem like you? To borrow a movie line, "you had me at hello," my precious HoneyBunny!!!

I didn't leave out "Connie and Carla" on purpose -- and you are right, the interaction between the two brothers is poignant and insightful!!! I guess I was just writing so quickly "off the top of my head," so to speak, that I forgot that movie.

To the membership: meet my wonderful SO!!! She is my wife, my best friend, and my split-apart -- and absolutely the love of my life!!! :love:

Barbara

suzee007
04-25-2007, 02:41 AM
The above title is an excellent introduction to c/ding. Its available in DVD on e-bay just type in transgender. It worked for me . Good luck girls.

Suzee from Oregon

Fab Karen
04-25-2007, 04:37 AM
You asked for something specific to helping the wife or girlfriend understand & accept. Can't really suggest something in that specific category ( there ARE single girls on this site ), though Ma Vie en Rose is sweet.

Outside that category, hunt down "Breakfast on Pluto" by the same filmmaker who made "the Crying Game" ( Breakfast is a lot more upbeat & cute than Crying ).

Drucilla
04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Here is a link to a very complete list of movies that has some CD or TG content.

http://www.pagerealm.com/tiffmich/index.html

Don't know Tiffany but she really did a lot of work putting together this great reference.

Here is also a review of "Just Like a Woman" at one of the sites that I found from Tiffany's links.

http://www.tg-films.info/films_j/film1376.php

charlie-50
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
i agree ed wood is a very funny and cute movie but if youall havnt seen KINKY BOOTS ya gotta check it out. good story i think , its about a guy who is left a shoe making business on the outs. in order to keep the operation going he starts making shoes and boots for cders. the person who plays the lola role is just wonderful...:devil: ...cp

Rachel Morley
04-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Marla GG and I love Glen or Glenda and the movie Ed Wood :D We love Johnny Depp in almost anything and totally believe he likes to dress sometimes ..... don't know why we think that, we just do. :D

Glen or Glenda is what we like to watch when "we want to be nice to ourselves " and also have good laugh. :happy: There are so many things in this movie that are interesting and funny, mostly about how crossdressing was perceived in 1953. It is fair to say that it is true and factual and I suppose we shouldn't ridicule it but lines like "pull de string, pull de string" and "slugs and snails and puppy dog tails" coming from a Dracula type character seems funny to me. "Glen is to be married to Barbra ... a lovely intelligent girl" in other words "normal people" (of 1953) can be involved with cders and the absolute ultimate classic line of this movie:

"Give this man satin undies, a dress, a sweater and a skirt or even the lounging outfit he has on, and he's the happiest individual in the world. He can work better, think better, he can play better, and he can be more of a credit to his community and his government because he is happy . These things are his comfort." :D :D

Sheri 4242
04-27-2007, 03:23 AM
"We love Johnny Depp in almost anything and totally believe he likes to dress sometimes ..... don't know why we think that, we just do."

Rachel,

Several times now my wife and I have discussed the likelihood of those who CD in a movie or on a TV (no pun intended) show, really being crossdressers. Mind you, we have no proof to back up this conclusion, but it is just gut discernment. My wife noted that some of the guys who CD for entertainment just seem to be "too good at it -- and too much at ease doing it."

Wow! What a list that would be -- from Johnny Depp on. Just the other day my wife said she bet Charlie Sheen CD'ed. Gosh, where woud such a list start and end?!! Patrick Swazie, Wesley Snipes, Mel Gibson . . . gosh it would be a huge list!

:heehee: IF there is any truth to this, maybe we should show up at one of their homes -- en mass and en femme -- and ask them to be our national spokesperson?!!! :D

:dom: Okay, I've bent over for this one!

Kerrie Sifton
04-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Movie summaries:
Georgie Girl 2002 - a documentary about a Maori, a showgirl, a sex worker and now a politician. This is her story.

Thelma 2002:Vincent, a down-at-the-heels French cab driver, desparately in need of cash for child support is intrigued when Thelma charters his cab for a trip to Crete. As they travel, talk and flirt, they become friends but the situation grows complicated when Vincent discovers that Telma is a transexual. Will Vincent decide to explore a country that he's never been to?

I have come across several french and english movies in the past
one is about a girl as she changes in her business and personal life, very touching as the transition occurs. She has the help of her landlady, and in the end takes on the feminine role in the business.

Le Sexe d'etoiles 1993 is another french movie about a father who leaves his son and wife and returns as a woman. Redeveloping the relationships with her family
However my mind is drawing blanks as to titles

Charley's Aunt: 1941, more fun than serious

What Women Want : 2000 , or do we bother with this, at least Mel shaves his legs and tries on panty hose

A Little Bit of Lippy 1992:Rick Fairley is happily married, but he is a secret cross-dresser. Eventually his wife finds out and is horrified, and her parents are even more so. However, as she reconciles herself to the discovery, her Mother realises that her own very conventional marriage lacks a certain something.

:2c: