PDA

View Full Version : Internalized Oppression Anyone?

RobertaFermina
03-23-2007, 12:56 AM
I still possess the neural networks that judge crossdressers as awkward, lost, and wierd. My own experience with the wonder of crossdressing has not made all those ignorant, insensitive judgements go *POOF*!

I think I learned these attitudes from others as I grew up, and maybe was more impacted by them because I desired the freedom to dress in women's clothing. I've always thought it was lovely, though I never got down to it seriously till recently.

I believe that, in time, maybe a few years, these judgments and responses will fade away to mere memories of past attitudes, and behaviors.

Until then, I am as vulnerable to my own attitudes as I am to those of others.

Does this strike a nerve for anyone else?

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Nicole
03-23-2007, 08:04 AM
*rasies hand*

It can feel like a tug-of-war sometimes. I try not to get too wrapped up over making judgments, but it can be hard. So far the best solution I have found is through meditation.

Hang in there, it does get better. *kisses*

Karren H
03-23-2007, 08:27 AM
No!!!

Karren (with 2 R's) :)

Lovely Rita
03-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Roberta
I really appreciate your honesty and openess. This I believe is one of the many struggles many of us face. I believe I have made progress in that area. My view of Rita has become quite positive.

I have had to face the conditioning of culture, society, myself and all my baggage. I am happy to say that I love my cd side more than ever and that has helped me jettison some of my old attitudes. I just have make sure I never go back to old thought patterns which can rear their ugly head.

Thanks for your thread.

Pippilotta
03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
The ambivalence is very much understandable; for many (most ?) of us there always is going on a tug-of-war between male and female. I think it is both genetic and learnt. Since it is quite normal, indeed expected, one learns to live with it and need not take it too seriously.

Kate Simmons
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
This is a one way trip for me whether I end up as Richard or Salandra. I've had it with the attitudes, conditioning, misconceptions and non tolerance. For better or worse, I'm in it for the duration. It is my belief that individuality will win out eventually.The real struggle is not just about being a TG person, it's about being yourself, whoever that self may be and having self respect. Everyone has the God given right to be that person. As I've said before, however, it's up to each and every one of us to determine just how important that is to us and just how far we are willing to go to accomplish it.:happy:

Lissa Stevens
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
For me I know it to be true. I have struggled for years thinking I was a freak and something was wrong with me. These were all ideas put into my head by the so called normal people. I have come to realize that while I may not represent the "NORM" I am not a freak. It is still hard to get past the prejudices I grew up with but I am working on it. This wonderful forum is a big help.