PDA

View Full Version : Coming up for air

Nicole
03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Good god. Everyone has warned me to take it slow but I have not been doing that at all. Since opening the floodgates I have tried on dresses in public dressing rooms, had my eyebrows shaped, toured every apparel section in the mall, bought an epilator, bought a wig, scheduled a makeover, shopped for lingerie, even started electrolysis on my beard. I hear this is all too common. Count me in with the guilty!

I want to make up for lost time, but this is ridiculous! I am impatient to see results. Being stuck in the middle is like queuing in line at the post office on pensioners day. It is kind of a drag. (pun possibly intended) *hee*

Forums like these can function as a catalyst to obsessive behavior if you are prone to it (which I seem to be). Forums put the focus upon ideas rather than people. Because of this, it takes a lot of energy, good photos, outrageous stories, et cetera to rise above the status quo and make an impression. It is not unlike being a celebrity. If we don't shine at the mike, we slip through the cracks. I may be mainlining too many Starbucks mochas lately, but even so the buzz around here keeps me going long after the caffeine wears off.

This girl is retiring to the bath for a few days of indulgence. Time for candles, scented bath bombs, and champagne. No shopping, no stress. When it comes to CD'ing, it isn't always easy to glide into it gracefully. Sometimes we can't take it slow without getting a speeding ticket first. :o

Sweet Cindy
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Beautifully written, Karen.
And I'm sure I'd do the same in your shoes. Given the chance, I'd be shaving, shopping and chemise-ing just as enthusiastically.
Have fun!

Kate Simmons
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I understand Karen but once the initial "surge" is over, you settle into a routine. It's nice to look nice and enjoy the "glitter" and it feels great. After a while, however, you settle into finding the real you and just wanting to be yourself and comfortable with that. I guess that is how the process works but don't just take the word of an "old biddy" like me. Enjoy yourself and go with the flow, it's nice.:happy:

Angie G
03-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Keren better to chill out the burn out so go relax hun :hugs:
Angie

GingerS
03-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, there is an initial surge, don’t worry about it, just enjoy it, it will subside eventually and you’ll figure out what’s best for you.

Suzie S.
03-24-2007, 06:27 AM
OMG Karen! Forget about the ticket! We'll let you off with a verbal warning. :lol2: Don't worry, you will settle into a routine. I experienced the same feelings in the beginning. Just put things into perspective and don't neglect obligations like family, loved ones, finances, and work. You need to develop a balance, and it will come in time. Best wishes! :happy:

Nicole
03-24-2007, 08:49 AM
I understand Karen but once the initial "surge" is over, you settle into a routine. It's nice to look nice and enjoy the "glitter" and it feels great. After a while, however, you settle into finding the real you and just wanting to be yourself and comfortable with that. I guess that is how the process works but don't just take the word of an "old biddy" like me. Enjoy yourself and go with the flow, it's nice.:happy:

Thanks Salandra. Your new icon is quite becoming!

melissacd
03-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Karen,

I am in the same place as you, I have a new found freedom that is allowing me to explore deeper into this and it really is quite exciting. It makes it difficult to create balance in life. My feeling, though I know it will wear off eventually, is to enjoy the process, go with the flow.

Huggs
Melissa

Jocelyn Quivers
03-24-2007, 10:43 AM
I understand completely the feeling you have Karen. I remember the feeling when I first came out the closet and went on regular shopping trips with female family members several years ago. Now a few years later and a couple thousand dollars worth of outfits, a overflowing closet, and a depleted checking out. I also have had to restrain myself. Although I've not yet experienced going out in public yet, so I'm sure I will repeat the cycle again shortly. :happy: Jocelyn

Billie1
03-24-2007, 11:08 AM
A little obsessiveness, in moderation, from time to time is not always a bad thing. Go for it!:D

Lissa Stevens
03-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I think alot of us have gone through periods of maxi dressing like what you have been doing. It can provide a high not that different than drugs. Just be careful, sometimes when you come down you can almost crash. That is when you stop and think, what am I doing, and then you go the other way. Times like this can be real confusing.

Lovely Rita
03-26-2007, 10:01 AM
It can get a little manic some times.

In the same boat.