PDA

View Full Version : Illnesses

Emma_Forbes
03-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Hi All,

No I don't think this thread is as serious as the title might suggest....

A good few years ago I suffered from a bladder/kidney infection called Pyelonephritis. While attending the doctor he commented that it was an ailment suffered predominantly by women and was unusual in a man - was this prophetic I wonder...?

I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience. Are there any ailments to which women are more susceptible and have you had one?

To preempt some of the witticisms this is likely to provoke, I am already aware of these ailments (if ailments they be!)

Enjoying shopping
Spending too much while shopping
Sore feet - from the heels!
Mood swings
Pregnancy
Vanity
Indecision (shall I wear this....or this....or this...?)
etc....etc....

Em

Sheri 4242
03-24-2007, 04:22 AM
Heart attacks!

As a preface, more men have heart attacks in the U.S., but more women die of them. That said . . . there are many symptoms men and women can have; tightness in the chest and pain down the left arm are probably the best known. One of the lesser known is a dull pain in the lower jaw. While either sex can have this symptom, it is much more predominate in females. Since it is not as widely as known a symptom, many women ignore it.

NOW, like I said, men can have this symptom, too, although it is a symptom that women have much more than men. The few men that I have known to experience this symptom were crossdressers (not that this makes such a scientific statistic, just an interesting one).

Jere Oneil
03-24-2007, 06:31 AM
I've had breast cancer.

stephanie714
03-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I went to the Doctor once to get an x-ray and was told I was born with an extra set of ribs... hmmmmm?

occdresser
03-24-2007, 09:47 AM
I think you can get a bladder infection if you wear to much make-up.:ohgoon:

Kate Simmons
03-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Well Em, As a blonde, I do suffer from CRS(can't remember s***) sometimes.:heehee:

Mitzi
03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Not an illness...but bunions, huge ones from wearing high heels for too long. I've become very self conscious about my "chickfeet", as one "gurl" called them, and try not to display them uncovered.

Mitzi

Sally24
03-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I once had a dermatoligist bring an intern in to see a particular type of skin defect. Not exactly a scar, but the doctor said that it was common in woman who have shaved their legs all their lives, less common in men. At that point I had shaved my legs maybe 3 or 4 times.

Sally

Lilith Moon
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Not an illness...but bunyans, huge ones from wearing high heels for too long. I've become very self conscious about my "chickfeet", as one "gurl" called them, and try not to display them uncovered.

Mitzi

Yup, bunions here as well. From previous threads I know that a number of us girls suffer from bunions.

Angie G
03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I had the once wanted it gone fast did not like that at all:hugs:
Angie

TxKimberly
03-24-2007, 08:16 PM
The name in Latin I think is "Erythema Nodosum" and it translates to "Angry Red Nodules" according to the doc. It all boils down to the fact that I get large red bruises on my legs for no apparent reason, and they hurt and make my legs look terrible. It is prmarily a female problem and I am NOT thrilled to have it.

Kim

mskilmer
03-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I twice had a bladder/kidney infection and have also been told they are uncommon in men.

DeeInGeorgia
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Angiomyolimpoma - growth on the kidney that is not cancerous. 7 to 12 percent of growths are this, the other 88 to 93 percent are cancerous. And of those 7 to 12 percent, 4 out of 5 occur in women, so I was lucky, 20 percent of 12 percent or about 3 percent chance of being noncancerous.

Dee