PDA

View Full Version : Nail Salons

LoriFlores
03-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking of having a professional pedicure (with French polish :) ). Have you used a nail salon? What was your experience, and their reaction?

Sedona
03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Lori (cute avatar),

I get a regular pedicure (have an appt. tomorrow), but just get a trim, exfoliate and buff with no tips (my girlfriend does the polish later on). The only french tips I've had applied are for hands.

I'd send a PM to DanaJ about this. She's one of our resident nail gurus. But, I will say that it if you can swing it financially, head to a full service salon. If you're spending much less than 50 bucks, I'd be wary.

As far as what the reaction will be; depends. You're in California, a very liberal state, but the reaction that you'll get in Susanville may be different than one you'd get in San Francisco or West Hollywood. That said, even if you're in a salon in the sticks, your money spends like everyone elses. The Fresno Bee (not historically the most liberal city) did a story recently about a trend in guys getting pedicures, complete with pretty shades of polish.

Good luck,

Stephenie S
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Nail salons do not, read: DO NOT, care what sex their customers are. Besides, many, many men get manicures. It was common while I was growing up to get a manicure in the barber shop. Many barber shops had full time manicurists on duty. Now that barbers have gone the way of the horse and buggy, the only place to get a manicure is in a nail salon. So for goodness sake just go in and sit down. It's PERFECTLY NORMAL. Should I repeat that? OK, it's PERFECTLY NORMAL for a man to request a manicure. Getting a pedicure is also quite alright. Many, many, men get pedicures also. It's fun and feels just great.

Your money will be just as welcome as anyone's in ANY nail salon. I garantee you will enjoy the experience.

Steph

BTW the cost for a manicure at our local mall is $13, with or without polish. Add a tip to this.

StephanieT
03-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I get pedicures regularly with my wife. We live in a small town in Washington state and it is no big deal. The girls in the salon have seen it all. I have been to a salon with all asian girls doing the pedicures and a more upscale day spa. The nail techs do guys nails with polish on a regular basis. I have asked them about it. The last day spa we went to had a guy doing nails and he had a great manicure. My wife wondered if he was a CD. I have even had some women in the salon say they wish their husbands would come with them like I do with my wife. We normally pay $25 for the nail salon and $35 up to $50 for the day spa. I can't tell you how good my feet feel after a good pedicure. The massage is wonderful and I really like the paraffin wax dip. Go enjoy yourself. It is fun.

Stephanie T

StephanieT
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
I forgot to add that you need to wear your flip-flops. You don't want to mess up that new polish and you will get to show them off on the way home.

Stephanie T

Eva Diva
03-24-2007, 10:28 PM
As I think someone mentioned above - don't try to save money. There have been a lot of problems with the strip mall nail salons and hygiene.

lahr
03-24-2007, 10:40 PM
I had two pedicures.. the works, nails, pumice stones, foot baths and even a foot rub with moisturising lotion topped off with clear polish.. No problem!

jennig
03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi I have be going to the nail salon for years and just recently the shop I was going to closed so I had to find anothe one so tonight I walked in to a new one that opened near by and tole the girl that I wanted a full set and a ped
she had no bad reaction and asked me how long to make my nail I showed her about a half inch past the end of my finger tip she had no problem.when she was done she asked about the color and I always get french she said color woud look better she then picke out a deep red and said this woul look good so I went with it she did my toes the same color theay were several woman in the shop and nobody said a word so go for it I love getting my nails done and I keep them long in boy mode and i dont get maney comments now with teh red on it might be different we will see.
love jennig:2c:

lahr
03-24-2007, 10:51 PM
I had two pedicures.. the works, nails, pumice stones, foot baths and even a foot rub with moisturising lotion topped off with clear polish.. No problem!

SandyR
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Never have. Maybe some day...

Huggs.....

SandyR

susie evans
03-24-2007, 11:22 PM
all the time it's great:hugs:

susie

michellejw
03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Have done it a couple of times. Enjoyed it very much. Going tomorrow or Monday in fact.

TJ

crusadergirl
03-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I have never gone to one either but there is about 2 or 3 of them close to my house. I will have to go one day.

noname
03-25-2007, 01:28 AM
From over a year of getting peticures and manicures. NO ONE WILL CARE! Sorry I'm wrong, they might care, they might want you to come back, in fact I think you'll find that your welcomed. I can't stress this enough, they have man regular men clients. I've even gotten french and color on my toes, and they don't mind.

I've talked to GG's there who said they have guy friends who go every 3 weeks for a peticure and manicure. Though a couple of GG's said they try to get their husbands to go but can't convince them. But like others said, don't worry, go and relax. I think you'll find even the GG customers won't care.

Pricing goes about like this

Manicure 12 - 14
Peticure 18 - 22
Both 28 - 32 / Sort of a promo discount.

Also ASK before, I went to one place and they wanted 50 for a peticure!!! Though I suspect they gave me that price as a guy. I've encounted a couple of places that charge more for men than women. Stay away from those place. The theory is, men that get peticures usually work in contruction and have very bad dirty feet, and only go a couple times a year.

Any I'm rambling. You get the idea. The nail salon is one place you go and relax.

DanaJ
03-25-2007, 08:01 AM
You may want to take a look at the Beauty Club, and more specifically this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10730

If you want to see what is involved with pix, check out this thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8950

And I would never trust my feet or my health to someone that only charges $18 for a pedicure, I don't think I have ever seen one under $30 (for a full spa pedicure) - and I have had literally over 100 pedicures.

It is true that no one cares if you get a manicure or pedicure in male mode. And not to sound negative, but there is still some old values out there, depending on where you go. I was getting my toes polished at one day spa every time I went in for a pedicure, and I thought everyone was accepting. Later, I found out they all thought I was a "freak" and really talked a lot behind my back. I have called around and have actually been refused service (another story) - I also have had many many positive experiences too :)

Michelia
03-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I had gotten a few pedicures with no problem at the cheaper kind of places. Then my nail starting getting discolored and I went to the doctor. I had nail fungus for the first time in my life.

Then I realized when going back to the same places, they did not care if I had a fungus. They all told me the same thing, "we'll put medicine on it". This told me they will take anyone.

I now went to an upper scale spa and the price was 55 bucks. Everything was cleaner and more professional. And guess what, they would not do my nails until the fungus problem was solved.

So I am now in treatment and waiting for the day I can go in there. From what I understand it is not so easy to catch fungus this way, but it can happen.

Michelia

noname
03-25-2007, 12:10 PM
And I would never trust my feet or my health to someone that only charges $18 for a pedicure, I don't think I have ever seen one under $30 (for a full spa pedicure) - and I have had literally over 100 pedicures.

It is true that no one cares if you get a manicure or pedicure in male mode. And not to sound negative, but there is still some old values out there, depending on where you go. I was getting my toes polished at one day spa every time I went in for a pedicure, and I thought everyone was accepting. Later, I found out they all thought I was a "freak" and really talked a lot behind my back. I have called around and have actually been refused service (another story) - I also have had many many positive experiences too

Bizare. How did you find out? I'd be surprised if anyone thought I was a freek. You were refused service when you called ahead? Where do you live, the Bible belt? For places that refuse service, the answer is sue. ( No not the court ) The place where I go thinks I'm a freak they hide it very very well.

As for the 18 dollars. Why wouldn't you trust someone for that price. The gals are nice, the place is clean, I'm treated with respect, all good things.

alisoncdnj
03-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I try to go every month missed this month. But I will make-up for it by going next week. I love it, I have had manicures, pedicures and some waxing. Like everybody else has said they don't care your money is just as green. I love it. I go with my shaved legs and never a comment.

Hugs,

Alison

DanaJ
03-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Bizare. How did you find out? I'd be surprised if anyone thought I was a freek. You were refused service when you called ahead? Where do you live, the Bible belt? For places that refuse service, the answer is sue. ( No not the court ) The place where I go thinks I'm a freak they hide it very very well.

As for the 18 dollars. Why wouldn't you trust someone for that price. The gals are nice, the place is clean, I'm treated with respect, all good things.I found out because my nail tech, a sweet young thing but a bit naive) told me. She didn't think it would bother me, that's how naive she was :)

Yes, I was told they would prefer to not do men (ie CDers) because believe it or not, there are some people who feel uncomfortable with what we do. Instead of proving that they were wrong by starting a big deal over it, I accepted that they were uncomfortable (instead of shoving their faces in it) and simply found another place to give my money to.

As for the prices, in my experiences of going to get pedicures at over a dozen places, plus checking at many more, I have never seen prices under $30. I mean, we are talking one hour of service, plus supplies, plus their booth rental fee or the percentage (usually 50% or more) they have to pay the salon. So, at $18, they would be doing the pedicure for around $7 per hour, little better than minimum wage.

But if you are happy going there, then that's great. Generally speaking, again from my personal experiences and the experiences of professional nail techs (whom I have dated and been friends with), the corner discount nail salons are not as user friendly (meaning as far as cleanliness, all techs having licenses, being part of a nail "assembly line") as a general salon or day spa that charges more ($30 - $60).

Joy Carter
03-25-2007, 03:52 PM
I was servicing the electrical system in a nail salon run by a female from China. She was nice to talk with, and that got my courage up to ask if any men ever came in to have their nails done. She got quite a laugh out of my question. She never said if they had.:rolleyes:

Kristen Kelly
03-25-2007, 04:00 PM
I have had a full set of wraps done twice and loved it once while enfem the other in drab. Felt confortable both ways had the woman do them longer while I was enfem and filed them shorter after the weekend.

SherriePall
03-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Have had several pedicures. The spa type where your feet soak in bubbling water for a while, then your feet are massaged and rubbed with some special stuff before the nails are trimmed, cuticles pushed, and polish applied. Usually get a sparkling pink. Had a french done once and a bright red once. Love it.
Found out about the place by a cosmetics SA who had worked with my pedicurist at the cosmetics store.
I am now overdue for one, though.
Oh, yes, it's $35 per session.

Jodi
03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I get my manicure done every two weeks and my pedicure once a month. The same nail tech has been doing my nails for about 4 years. She is pleasant, enthusiastic, and genuinely enjoys me as a client. She has become a friend. A manicure is $16 and a pedicure is $33.

Jodi

danielle40I
03-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Sherrie, where do you go to get your nails and pedicure done? I'm in the Scranton area and would love to indulge myself at least once. Let me know...K?

Dani

JoAnnDallas
03-26-2007, 10:24 AM
One day I did not have time to make a appointment, so did a walkin. My nail Tech,"Tina", saw me and told the girl up front that I was one of hers and if I could wait 10 minutes she could take me. I usually get the works, pedicure/toe nail polish/maniure/acrylic fill on my nails/eyebrow wax. Never had a negitive remark from anyone in the salon and get lots of compliments too.

krisinpink
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Do it hon!

You'll love it, and you'll love how they'll look when professionally done...I'm getting ready for another myself!

DanaJ
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, that was only one experience of mine. I have had two super great completely accepting nail techs since then, my current one is a super sweetheart! So far, everyone at the salon I now go to are all nice and accepting :)