PDA

View Full Version : A Case (In Passing)

Kimberly
03-25-2007, 11:30 AM
To actually make, somewhat, of a decent response to some of those girls here who ask about the risks of going out – whether they should, whether they shouldn’t, and who also air their nervousness – I decided to try and make a complete account of my recent experience of stepping out as Kim for one whole weekend.

I’m pretty early in the stages of the whole “going out” thing, but had a pretty successful weekend – had lots of fun with a group of friends and even went out into the early hours of Saturday night/Sunday morning.

One thing I have conceived, and it’s something which clears up a myth that had lingered around the TG community, but that’s thankfully been almost cleared up on this forum is the issue of being “read” and “passing”. I agree now, that after one weekend of being en-femme, that passing, when you think you are successfully, is a fantastic feeling and made me for a moment believe that I was exactly who I wanted to be. The thing is – in a crowd, of say 60, about 10 will probably read you, and a following 10 might have an inkling into your crossdressing. And so, in truth, I believe you are being read constantly. Thankfully, none of them will approach you, except in a friendly manner if they recognise you, know you, or want something from you. And you know the best thing you can do? Just get on with you want to do; concentrate on how you feel and your presentation – because who are you going out for? Yourself! And to me, going out actually makes me feel bullet proof – my personality makes significant changes when en-femme, in the field of confidence (believe it or not – I’m probably a nervous wreck underneath.) So concentrate on being the woman you want to be, and not the person that everyone else wants you to be.

Therefore, what follows are 4(ish) cases of either "passing" or being "read", and the debate that arises with both. Pick and choose what you want to read if you're not in the reading mood.

Case 1 – Camden Market - (Passing?)

These are actually two small events described in one, because they both took place in the same area, Camden (London). A recommend it to any crossdresser who wants a nice, but crowded, Saturday – or even weekday. The market is superb and has innumerable women’s clothes and shoes stalls and shops. Not to mention the vintage clothes shops! It was in one of these shops that my experience took place, but is quite a private success: it was the first time I’d ever tried any item of female clothing on in a shop.

Firstly, going shopping en femme was such a better experience than shopping as male, because of the immense feeling of validation it bought. I finally felt like that shop was territory I was allowed into – that I wasn’t a man in a woman’s clothes shop. My secret was no longer that I was shopping for myself to crossdress: I was just shopping for myself! I tried on a patterned long top, to which my friends told me it looked great – so I bought it. The woman who owned the shop even said, “Cute isn’t it?” which just validated my shopping experience even more! I recommend shopping en femme to anyone; it is so much more fulfilling than shopping as male.

The second moment is contained in a very short amount of time. A woman at a Chinese counter in the food court called me “young lady”. Now, this could be taken different ways depending on whether she read me or not, but still the phrase itself took me a little by surprise, as does most of the pronouns or slang phrases toward my female self, and they seem so much more flattering. Just by saying this, I was again treated how I wanted to be treated, and my femininity was validated, yet again. What I’m trying to do, I suppose, is give words to the unspeakable that many of us who are out and about feel at some point.

Case 2 – The Club - (Not passing, and loving it)

What I’m talking about then began to happen often when we got to the club, I requested my friends actually take account of my female name, as that is how I was presenting that weekend… so numerous “Kim”s were uttered after my request. This gave such dialectic feelings: both of validation, but of confusion. Being called another name, but then recognising my connection to it is a weird feeling, and as of Saturday night it was beginning to become more familiar, (but I still don’t quite believe I get my teeth round it with perfect ease and identification.) Whilst at the club though, being an alternative crowd, I found I wasn’t the only tranny there! How fantastic… and what’s more we seemed to be the magnets for them – my friends being Theatre Designers all dress fantastically, and look fabulous anyway and so there was plenty of attention from the others crossdressers in the club. I spoke to many of them, and even got told that I “look fierce”. A good thing, I think. This experience though, was much more about recognising crossdressers and flattering both parties than actually feeling accepted. Saying that, seeing other trannies there made the whole atmosphere feel a whole lot better. And I don’t know what came over me, but I danced like a crazed-woman. It appears I’m not only more confident, but more open to a good time on the dance floor while en femme. Amazing – either I’m creating this side of me, or it’s a discovery. I’d love to know…

Case 3 – McDonalds, 3am (being read)

This is one of only two bad experiences of the weekend, and actually, you’ll see I was asking for it when I explain the situation. All I need to say is, McDonalds at 3am, on Trafalgar Square. One of my friends and I were standing aside from the queue, whilst a group of 3 chav lads were watching me. I caught their expressions, but quickly ignored them. If looks could talk, they’d be in my face insulting me, asking me what the f*ck I was doing dressed like that. They didn’t approach me, and that was the end of that. But it made me very scared and shaken up, and within about ten minutes of being there, I needed to leave.

Case 4 – The Night bus (very possible pass)

Contrast that, though, with the friendly nature of a man we spoke to on the bus ride home. We all introduced ourselves, myself as “Kim”, to which he shook my hand (just like the others.) We then had a discussion on something about upbringings and people who were the lowest class and whether they would ever do anything to bring themselves up from that situation – you know, one of those conversations you have at 4 in the morning on a night bus. We were quite loud, and by this time I wasn’t so concerned about talking because I thought whatever masculinity I’d removed from my voice I had eradicated for at least another hour or two.

The debate is, though, whether he read me or not – and I’m honestly not that sure. At the beginning of the bus ride, I was sure he had done. He did that typical look that is slightly longer than necessary. But after that he was incredibly civil to me, shaking my hand and the like – even sitting next to me. So, either he was a very upstanding person or I passed. I don’t think the latter is true, but then again it might be, and I could just be quite unconvinced by how good I may look, (damn my chin…) I quizzed a friend about it a little later on, and she thinks I did pass. Anyway, I think the lesson here to be learnt is – don’t be afraid to be who you are, because the decent people in this world will accept you for who you present yourself as. And let’s face it, I’m not going to see him again, am I? So – deception… sorry, passing, isn’t a bad thing sometimes, is it?

To Conclude...
There are decent people everywhere; the people we speak of in our posts: the store clerks who call us “ma’am,” or the SO that accepts us, or the friends we make on here or at local meetings. Then again, it only takes one bigot to bring the whole day down. My advice? You can’t prepare 100% for the random bigots, but 9 times out of 10, they won’t do anything but look at you. Looks can kill? No. They can’t… so enjoy yourself. It’s you you’re serving, not the expectations of some bigot who thinks you’re a freak. Be confident in who you are, and others will respond in kind.

K xx

DawnL
03-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Very well don Kim, thank you for your experiences

btmgrl6
03-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Great thread Kim.....i agree 100%. If I pass.. I pass,If I don't who cares?
There are good and decent people out there,happily more than there are bad.
I love hearing stories that make us think that Society might not really be the boogy man that's it's made out to be..Bravo!

Steph

Gina_darling
03-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the in depth account, I'm planning on going out en femme very soon when I return to Glasgow. Obviously it is easoer in the bigger cities as if you are read then people are generally more likely to just ignore it. However in a smaller country place such as Gloucester where I am now, the people are less tolerant so being read is a little more unnerving. Well done on your courage though!

Kimberly
03-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah -- Norwich is my next target. Let's see what happens there... xx

TxKimberly
03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Kimberly,

That was a great post that I hope will lend confidence to those who are debating going out. In the last few weeks I have gone out several afternoons/evenings and have found all of your comments to be spot on. In two days of going to various stores, I encountered only one male SA that I THINK made me, and all he did was look at me and not offer to assist. I can handle that!

Kim

Sally24
03-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Very good description Kim! I understand about trying to put the indescribable into words. The best you can do sometimes is pass a little of the feeling of the event on to others. I am usually very concerned about passing, but I also go out with a T-girl group. On those occasions I am just trying to look my best. We go as a large group so none of us is passing at that moment. It's a good, but different feeling. Kind of freeing. It also opens up my clothing options because I don't have to blend at all. Love the posh frocks for clubbing!

Kimberly
03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Sally,

The feeling you speak of is what I felt later on in the night in the club. I think crossdressers with other crossdressers have a different relationship -- there's no pretence, and therefore the only thing that really matters (to you) is how good you look and feel. xx

Karren H
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
You are an amazing girl, girl!!! Soooo dramatic!! hehe

Any photos?? :) You know me.... camera crew folling me where ever I go... lol

Bigger question?? Is crossdressing imporving or detracting from you GPA?? (Grade Point Average over here) Could be great stats in an add campaign... Crossdress today and improve your test scores!!!

Love Karren

Kimberly
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Karren, you always make me laugh!!

No, I don't think it is improving my grades! But it is giving me a hook on my future theatrical career: to my knowledge only one play has been made where a trans person is the protagonist. And that was French-Canadian -- a long way from me. :(

So... ideological controversy in the arts here I come! :D

(photos: yes! Access to them: No! :()

Lovely Rita
03-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Thank you for that wonderful thread. It was very insightful.

Thank you

Karren H
03-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Karren, you always make me laugh!!

(photos: yes! Access to them: No! :()

Guess we'll just have to wait for the movie.... and pay admission to see you like everyone else!!!

:tongueout

Karren

cindychan
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Very nice points there. I haven't gone out very much but I've , cruised around town, flirted with cops, worked, halloweened, and went to the bank dressed up with no problem passing. Only problem was at a drive thur at Burger King, where the girls working there wouln't stop laghing at me, but I had no make up, bushy brows, and a bad wig on.

Mitzi
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Kim...

I recall a stunningly sexy picture you once posted of yourself awhile back. If you looked anything like that, I'm surprised you didn't get hit on everywhere...

I liked your analysis about people who think they're passing...about 10 of 60 passersby reading, another 10 wondering. But of course, we have no way of knowing, unless we have someone trailing to watch for people's reactions after you're out of their sight.

Good post.

Mitzi

MsJanessa
03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Really good thread---and youre right---very very few, if any, of us pass all the time---some "pass" more than others--- some less---what I'm really looking for when I go out is acceptance rather than "passing"---I don't have an right to expect I will pass(although I love it when I do) but do have the right to expect that I will be accepted----those of us who go into crowded stores and malls and walk down streets in the middle of the day aren't so much passing as they are being accepted. that's really even a better feeling.

KimberlyS
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Kimberly, I like your cases and your attitude about being out. My going out similar to yours is more to blend and just be out then it is to pass. I have yet to have what I would call a bad experience even though I did have a teenage guy should "it is a guy" once when I was in a mall and I know my beard shadow was starting to show through.

I also agree with you that for those CDers that want to get out and about that in general most people are much more accepting then I every thought they would be. For those that want to get out and about enfemme I say get out of town, especially those in smaller towns or if they are well known. Being out of town you do not have the huge what if some I know sees me and helps to make yourself more comfortable.

But I also believe going out is not for all CDers as there are many different situations. Some have a strong desire to be out. While other CDers seem to follow and do because others do and have been out. And I think this is a completely wrong reason to get out.

Kimberly
03-28-2007, 04:51 PM
those of us who go into crowded stores and malls and walk down streets in the middle of the day aren't so much passing as they are being accepted. that's really even a better feeling.
This is probably more the point I wanted to make -- I agree!!

Acceptance is so much more healthy of the trans community than merely passing; it implies that our presence in society is more acceptable than before! Progress! And that's another message I want to take with me everywhere: We do exist. (Admittedly, I probably do a minute job of it!)

I could go on to argue that passing is actually quite hypocritical, depending on the situation of the crossdresser -- there are so many posts about not being able to dress how we like, but if we're just dressing to blend in with another set of dressing guidelines; well, I ask you, what's the point? It's sitting on the other side of a fence separating the same field! If however, you just want to be a woman, then I suppose passing is an ultimate goal.

But this is for a book more than a single post on a forum. :heehee:

(Disclaimer: Myself, I'm debating whether I am genuinely transexual or "just another crossdressing chemist". At the moment, I think I'm the former, but I think I need to address this with some form of psychiatry.)

Sally24
03-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I kind of cover all of the field. Sometimes I go out in daylight and blend in as a woman (probably one of my main goals). But I also go out by night with other T-girls with no intent on blending. We start at a sports bar for a couple hours of conversation. We've had many patrons come over and start asking questions. They are sometimes so timid and so afraid of offending us! We have touched alot of people this way and I think that helps the community at large. Later a good sized group of us goes either to a club or sometimes just a restaurant for fun until things close down around 2 am (Boston's last call). We very often have a group of GGs dance with us and want to get very close to us. The guys don't seem to usually have the same facination with T-girls. This exposure to mostly 20 something young people is also a good thing. They are generally very accepting and we have not had a bad experience at a club yet. I hope that thru all this I am helping other gurls as well as myself. But in the end, I try to have fun and enjoy the life I have right now!

Sally

Kitty Sue
03-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks. That was a really informative and interesting post. Well done1:happy:

Glenda58
03-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Your post is right on Kimberly sometimes we pass sometimes we don't. But like you said don't let the not passing keep you in because those who see us just look most of the time anyways.

AllieSF
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Great post, facts and analysis. You present yourself and our situation well. All food for thought. Keep it up. Some are good writers and others good readers.

Kimberly
03-31-2007, 06:53 PM
Those pictures that were asked about:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kimberlycd/n660790075_223334_8236.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kimberlycd/n660790075_223335_9035.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kimberlycd/n660790075_223337_584.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/kimberlycd/n660790075_223340_6788.jpg

I don't look as good as was promised by my friend... my chin is HUGE! Although I'm pretty pleased my 2am shadow doesn't show!! I remember it creeping through by touch at least. :thumbsup: