PDA

View Full Version : My first big step

aj_gg
03-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I first want to thank you all for your support thus far about trying to accept CDing and all of it's little intricacies. Before I get into my story that I'm just burning to share, I want to tell you all a little something about me first, a back story to say.

I grew up and am still living in Northern Minnesota. I lived in a small mining town where biasness, discrimination and zero tolerance for anything out of the normal runs rampant. If you have seen the movie North Country it would give you a pretty accurate description of where I'm from about twenty years in the past. I won't lie to you, there are many times when it is still like that and other times when you can really see change. My father was a miner and mechanic and his father a railroad engineer. Within my life time I am proud to say I followed suit, but it was not without feeling some of that biasness and discrimination for myself. When I was nineteen, I worked on the same railroad my grandfather helped create, and my father and uncles helped maintain, this was the summer of 2005. Until I was able to show the men I worked with that I could work as well as them, they wouldn't accept me. This really hurt because I would baby sit their children, I was babysat by some of their children and some of them were like family. (You can tell I really grew up in a small town, 2500 people)

By the end of my summer work period I had earned the respect of all of my co-workers as an equal and not the little woman they saw running around town or hiking in the area, this was true for all except my supervisor. To my breaking heart I was refused a job the following summer, I realized like my father before me I too had been blacklisted and there was nothing I could do about it. I also grew up with an innate sense of faith and desire to live that faith out.

Because of this upbringing and such, I find it hard to call you ladies, my mind yells at me saying that I know you are physically men, but I know in my heart that all of you at heart are ladies. Please, forgive me for this. Also in the past and to a lesser degree now, I become very uncomfortable with anything "different." This had to do with the no tolerance attitude which runs rampant in the area where I live. I feel I need to apologize for this attitude that I have. I am working on lessening this and becoming more accepting.

After saying all this, I can now tell you my story. Thanks for bearing with me thus far.

This weekend Nathan/Natasha came to my apartment at school and surprised me at my apartment at school. I knew we had some serious talking to do but I was just happy to see him again. We started talking again and of course CDing came up and we just spoke and listened to each other until about 3:00 in the morning. It was quite the wonderful conversation. I felt like I had come to a better point about CDing but I knew my journey was still at the point of baby steps.

The next day we made an agreement so that we would go out together to go shopping, dinner and coffee, the only condition was that Nathan was to go out partially en femme. I didn't think that I was ready but I could tell by his eyes that Natasha to an extent was. I knew it had to be time for me too.

Natasha got ready and we headed to Wallmart. One pair of jeans a couple of purses (including one for me, which makes my first real purse), a lot of make up, nail polish and other goodies we made it through. No odd looks, a few uneasy feelings on both of our parts, but we made it. Following we decided to make a quick jewelry stop at Claire's and it was off to dinner. Dinner was great and the feelings of insecurity and such just kept melting away. Once we made it to our favorite coffee shop all feelings of being outsiders and being uncomfortable had melted away. We had made it. Our first outing together with him being in partial en femme.

We had a few trying moments with a few people I knew from home running into me, but it didn't seem that anyone noticed or if they did they didn't say a word. It was a good feeling. I guess that's just the beginning. I thank you all for dealing with my round about talking but we made it back to my apartment a little bit more confidant and a little more understanding.

Hope you all enjoyed.

Charleen
03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
A step at a time! Give yourself time. Learned behavior and they way we are "taught" the world is supposed to be take quite a while to un-learn.
BTW, a little late, but welcome!
Love and xxxx, Lily

Victoria Anne
03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Welcome to our family Aj and congratulations on your outting,it sounds like it was a good day for you both.As you know one step at a tme,your on your wayto a far stonger and better relatinship. Victoria Anne

Billijo49504
03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
There is a difference between Girls and gurls...BJ

Holly
03-26-2007, 10:37 PM
AJ, please don't be so hard on yourself. Thanks for sharing your background. That took a lot of courage. In one way, I think your history will help you in understanding and accepting Natasha and the rest of us. You've experienced first hand the heartbreak of rejection simply because you are not part of the "norm." I wouldn't worry too much about wrapping your head around being able to refer to us a ladies, either. We're pretty patient... we'll wait for ya!

DawnL
03-26-2007, 11:53 PM
AJ, I don't think anyone can say that you aren't trying. It sounds like you are very accepting and love Nathan/Natasha. I think you are doing a bang-up job maybe since you have suffered some gender bias and discrimination in the past you are more open to it. I think the two of you are going to be just fine.

Mitzi
03-26-2007, 11:54 PM
AJ...

I could almost see and feel your town from your description. I wondered how you and Natasha had the courage to go out in that town, but then realized you're going to school elsewhere. Even so, you're very brave.

I just wanted to correct something you said, that we are all ladies at heart. Some are, but many of us are just guys, for whom dressing up is a pleasurable compulsion, but not our identity. Yes, we like to look pretty and feminine when dressed, but once the clothes come off, we enjoy being guys.

Keep us posted on how things develop.

Mitzi

Carin
03-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Congratulations on you trip AJ. That step you both took can take many years and for some can never happen. You are to be applauded for your courage and openness to push against the cultural norm that are accustomed to.

Carin

Suzie S.
03-27-2007, 03:21 AM
AJ, I think that's wonderful. I'm glad you both had a good time! I admire you for your determination to break that mold of biasness you were poured in to. You can't change how you were raised, but you can change how you see things in the present. Nathan/Natasha is a very lucky person to have found such a wonderful girl! Thanks for sharing so much about yourself with us! I wish you both continued happiness and all the best in the future! :hugs:

aj_gg
03-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Again I don't know how to say this but thank you all for being so supportive. I think if my fiance hadn't of introduced me here and I hadn't dove in I wouldn't be as supportive as I am. I thank you all for your wonderful advice and support.

Karren H
03-27-2007, 07:53 PM
That's great!! Sounds like Hibbing or Virginia MN or somewhere nearby... On the positive side with long winters and everyone bundled up.... male and females look the same!! lol

Try life in a farming comunity of 1,200. Same thing, different ocupation...

Karren

aj_gg
03-27-2007, 11:16 PM
That's the general area but I'm currently going to school in Duluth, that's where our little adventure took place. I am very impressed Karen. How do you know so much about Minnesota, especially my little corner of the world? We should talk some more.

AllieSF
03-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi AJ,

Small town mid-west. I graduated from collegein Houghton, MI and my room mate was from the Virginia, Evelith area. His dad owned a mining engineering company there. I also lived for almost 3 years in Bird Island (pop - 1,300). My son was born in Olivia (pop - 2,300). You couln't f*rt in town without a neighbor telling you what you had for dinner the night before. Great people but nosy as hell! Coldest place I ever was, was New Years eve just North of Olivia at the Chicken Coup - 40 F. Welcome to a different type of small town here where you can tell your story and only get support.

racquel
03-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Great story,lovely lady,lucky Natasha.:hugs:

kerrianna
03-28-2007, 01:42 AM
:hugs: :love: AJ you sound like an absolutely fabulous person! :hugs: Natasha is lucky to be with you.

She sounds like a catch herself. I'm so happy that young folks such as yourself are learning to explore, support and love.

And don't worry...you don't have to call me a lady...ask the boys...:heehee: :p

Sheri 4242
03-28-2007, 04:29 AM
AJ...I just wanted to correct something you said, that we are all ladies at heart. Some are, but many of us are just guys, for whom dressing up is a pleasurable compulsion, but not our identity. Yes, we like to look pretty and feminine when dressed, but once the clothes come off, we enjoy being guys. Mitzi

AJ,

We're in the same small town -- except our's is in south Georgia.

Congrats, girl! You may not know it, but you are obviously growing with each new step! Just remember, it is more than okay to take baby steps whenever you need to!

Also, Mitzi told you something that you need to keep in mind: many of us are guys for whom dressing is very pleasurable -- a visible expression of the feminine side to our inner being -- but many of us clearly recognize our male side and want to be male.

Barbara

Tiffany Tuesday
03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Hey there AJ

it sounds like mmm ... yummy scrummy new love to me babe :) And wonderfully it is allowing you to break from the conditioned small town prejudice of back home.

Oh and hey girlfriend call me a lady as often as you like, i think that was a very sweet way for you to address us all, thank you ... and hey if anyone calls me a man .. eeek!!! ... i'll shove their duelling banjo where medics play fingerstyle! :)

Hugz x

27th Jennifer
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
I thought I had gotten away from Iron Rangers.....hehe:o

aj_gg
03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
*Laughs* So did I, but I guess we travel in unassuming packs. I'm working on breaking that stigma though. Being a Ranger doesn't make you cruel and barbaric, it just means you know a little more than you should about the wrong way to treat people.

27th Jennifer
03-29-2007, 04:55 PM
*Laughs* So did I, but I guess we travel in unassuming packs. I'm working on breaking that stigma though. Being a Ranger doesn't make you cruel and barbaric, it just means you know a little more than you should about the wrong way to treat people.

That's a great way of putting it. I couldn't have said it better myself. It seems it doesn't matter where you go, you'll probably run in to another Ranger. Even here....wait, is there a keg nearby? hehe

aj_gg
04-09-2007, 09:22 AM
That's a great way of putting it. I couldn't have said it better myself. It seems it doesn't matter where you go, you'll probably run in to another Ranger. Even here....wait, is there a keg nearby? hehe

No, but I'm sure we can find a pit though.