PDA

View Full Version : If they could have known...

Tristan
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
In counseling last week, my counselor brought up the point about genetic research into both transgenderism as well gays etc. And with that being a double edge sword. On one hand it's finally hard proof that we didn't "choose" to be transgender, gay, lesiban, bi, etc. But there is also a fear that they will use genetic science to "cure" these things by picking apart genes or whatever. I hope you understand what I'm saying. My question is if your parents at the time of your conception could have done a test to determine that you were ftm or mtf and the science was availiable where they could have "cured" it while you still were in the womb... would you wanted them too for you personally?

bi_weird
03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
NO. It's confusing as all hell, but it gives me so much understanding about the world. I've meet some very amazing people through my gender (and orientation) issues, and I wouldn't want to be anything other than who I am today.
Then again, I'm lucky. I can totally see how someone is a place worse than where I am would say very different things.

Tristan
03-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm really undecided. I do see how being transgendered has forced me to know myself on a much deeper level then most. It also has given me a new sort of friends, those that truely do accept and love you unconditionally. I know my coming out has sorted out a few people who I thought would have stood by me through anything. On the other hand it'd be nice to not drop thousands and thousands of dollars just to have the right body. Being transgender for me at times is extremely pain, but I think without that pain I wouldn't have grown the way I have as a person. I guess if the "cure" was making me male in the womb that'd be cool, I'd resent being tricked to be made to think I was suppose to a woman. Guess that's not much of an answer because how would I ever had known of the trick. I just want to be a man, even in my fantasy what if before I was born stuff.

CaptLex
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
My question is if your parents at the time of your conception could have done a test to determine that you were ftm or mtf and the science was availiable where they could have "cured" it while you still were in the womb... would you wanted them too for you personally?
No, thanks. Being transgendered is a piece of the whole puzzle that is me (an important piece, I think). But if it had been left up to my parents, they would definitely have asked for the "cure". Thank goodness that's still a thing of sci-fi (I hope). I dread the day when all these experiments will cause people find a way to cure us of being TG or gay. It gives me nightmares. Like the X-Men say, "we don't need a cure". :nono:

MJ
03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
no and no you see all that i am is thanks to my mum and dads genes i would not change a thing, i love me for who i am

Question Mark
03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Cured in what sense? Made into an ordinary woman?

If so, no thanks. I prefer to be an <ego>extraordinary guy.</ego>

Charleen
03-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Ain't gonna happen. I saw the same thing, but the report I saw also said that there were too many genes involved making us who we are and they not only make us LBGT et al, but those same genes control other aspects that have nothing to do with gender. So the botton line, much to the chagrin of the militant fundamentalists is that THERE IS NO CURE!

kerrianna
03-27-2007, 11:29 PM
No, I'm pretty happy to be TG. Gives me a richer life. It would be nice to be able to live in reality what I live in other ways...but then again it would be nice to have my own island and private lagoon.

C'est La Vie. :happy:

Abraxas
03-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Nope, I wouldn't be 'cured' and I wouldn't let them touch my kids, either.

John
03-28-2007, 03:33 AM
We are a millian miles away from genetically engenearing something so complex as a human embrio in such a manner.

That said, if they could...

I know it would make my life easier. I would never have been the 'freek' at school, I never would have been so paranoyed about my boddy, I'd probaly be having less issues right now. BUT... it's part of who I am. I became the person I am today because of many things, but one of them is being transexual. I happen to quite like who I am right now.

Though, if the could do that, they could give us the flipping Y chromazone insted!!

Dasein9
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Nah, I wouldn't want to have been cured. Wouldn't be me.

Sometimes I do wonder... right after I was born I nearly died of ABO blood incompatibility. They changed my blood. All of it. There was a tube draining blood out of my body and another pumping it in. At the other end of that second tube was a corpsman, whose heart was pumping the blood into my body. So sometimes, I do wonder whether I might have gotten a little something extra along with that blood...

Felix
03-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Nope don't want anything to be different I am who I am and I have to embrace that and get on with it!! xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
sod that....for all my moaning i enjoy being trans....being different! and being able to see the world without rose coloured glasses

happyfish
03-28-2007, 09:53 PM
No. Just - no. I like who I am, and I don't want to change it. That being said, I bet my parents would have jumped for such a 'cure' with no hesitations at all.

Tristan
03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
My parents would have jumped on it too. I don't think I'd go for the cure though. I had a good group tonight and I feel a lot better about being trans then I did....

Dasein9
03-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeh, my parents would've taken it too. They're of a generation that fetishises the normal and were military to boot.

Question Mark
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
My dad probably would've jumped for it, but my mom might not have. She herself has always considered herself to be more of a man than a woman, but is more comfortable in her female body than I am.

CaptLex
03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I had a good group tonight and I feel a lot better about being trans then I did....
Yay, I'm happy to hear that, Trist. You've taken so many brave steps lately - good for you! :hugs:

pocoyo
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
In counseling last week, my counselor brought up the point about genetic research into both transgenderism as well gays etc. And with that being a double edge sword. On one hand it's finally hard proof that we didn't "choose" to be transgender, gay, lesiban, bi, etc. But there is also a fear that they will use genetic science to "cure" these things by picking apart genes or whatever. I hope you understand what I'm saying. My question is if your parents at the time of your conception could have done a test to determine that you were ftm or mtf and the science was availiable where they could have "cured" it while you still were in the womb... would you wanted them too for you personally?

Well hopefully if it was discovered, then it might become a more normal thing, cos theyd proved it was "real" (you never know lol), then it would be acceptable and commonplace to be TG (sort of like it is becoming, to be gay for example) so it wouldn't really be such a problem. Apart from having to have operations sometimes.

So no.. I wouldn't want to be "cured" in that sense I don't think.

On the other hand though. It would be nice not to feel so conflicted.

But.. it is also nice being able to truly explore and know who you are.

Incidentally.... "curing" gayness... is just sick.

And pathetic and stupid.

People and animals are just naturally gay.

So what, are they going to cure short people next? Isolate the shortness gene and irradicate it? lol

What they should "cure" is the small minded, ignorant idiots in society that can't accept other people lead a slightly different life to them.

Emma England
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Gender is not as simple as just male or just female. Does not matter whether you are transgendered or not. I think it is more complex than what you are suggesting.

Wouldn't have worked for me anyway.
I am definitely a boy, but choose to wear girls clothes as they feel nicer.

Oh, by the way, being transgendered or gay or bi IS NOT WRONG. Just different.

Most parents do not want to play God.

Science should only be used to cure diseases.

Mariah
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
wow, the anwer is a dubble edged sword too *^_^*. Would we want me changed if we had the choice back then? yes. why? becuse everything that is me (besided them thar gens) came after are birth. So if they did give me a cure then I would not know this life, thus the idea to perserve this life will not be there. but if they ask if they can go back NOW and cure me then I would not, for better or for worse this make us, us.

I mean if there was a cure for a birth or genitic defect no matter what it was Wouldn't you want your Child to have it? or you say geniticly blind from birth if they could cure it even before you had a thought wouldn't you be glad your parents Gave you that chance to see!

the edge here is, it TG gentic? if so it can be cured then that mean Millons will not suffer as we do today. yet! some here are making the choice to live with it. intresting isn't it. how some will use "it's a birth defect I can't help it" but when a cure for that defect come even hinting around they say " I would never take it as a child (as if you had a choice in the matter) it make me me!" but really, you are the sum of all your memories, and esperinces plus your gens, So if your parents did cure you before you were born the problem woudnt be there thuse it would not be in your sum?

I guess since I have a vary intresting outlook on this type of thing Dont
understand how someone now can say what would happen if something happend diffrently then. I mean if they did cure you you would not be here definding this type of life, in a textual way that protrays that GLBT is a choice instead of a genitic defect.

so is it a genitce defect in your mind or is it a choice you made?

for us it's a defect (one of many we have lol) and if it could be cured then it should. but I would never take a cure NOW to fix it... unless that cure turned me in to the woman I want to be *^_^* wich is the other point? is it easier to change the body or the mind, easy the body! so a cure would be changing the body to mach the mind in the womb.

ok I'm rambling and he's getting hungry so my final thought on this is.
if you take out the ME in your statement and think about it. why would you not want a genitic or birth defect cured?
edit
pocoyo:your right bio engreering a human is plan stupid. and far off to! I hope they never do come up with a cure for being short I dont want to be tall!!

hopes to you all
Keris

Dasein9
03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
why would you not want a genitic or birth defect cured?

Gender diversity may or may not have genetic causes. That DOES NOT make it a defect.

bi_weird
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Incidentally.... "curing" gayness... is just sick.
And pathetic and stupid.
People and animals are just naturally gay.

I read an article once about how homosexual behavior has been found in at least 400 different species of vertebrates. Too bad it's harder to figure out if the sheep and penguins like skirts or ties...
But yes. Curing. Silly. The idea makes me sad.

Mariah
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Dasein9: interesting, so you dont see it as a defect in the gens. but Gender diversity care to elaberate on that? Is it your choice to be where you are in the gender spectrum? or are your programed ether by culture or upbringing to be this way? or do you see gender as a picasso with no reall meaning just shapes to form idea?

vary intersting.

hopes to you all
keris

Dasein9
03-29-2007, 02:39 PM
Dasein9: interesting, so you dont see it as a defect in the gens. but Gender diversity care to elaberate on that? Is it your choice to be where you are in the gender spectrum? or are your programed ether by culture or upbringing to be this way? or do you see gender as a picasso with no reall meaning just shapes to form idea?

vary intersting.

hopes to you all
keris

No, I don't think we choose our gender. The essentialism/constructionism question is really tangled, and I don't think the debate as it's currently playing out is particularly helpful. I'm not taking sides on it, and in fact, my dissertation is a try at asking the question of gender in a very different way. The point of my reply is that I just don't think a gender identity is a defect if it's not what is expected of one. It's a difference, but quite a few differences are good. The assumption that something's being different from a norm (And keeping in mind that norms are classifications, not human-independent phenomena.) makes it a defect is what I'd challenge.

Mariah
03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
interisting, thanks for clearing that up some.

hopes to you all
keris