PDA

View Full Version : Any Bad experiences at MAC?

Sedona
03-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Hi,

Not trying to stir up trouble, but we've had quite the love-in with MAC cosmetics lately (me included), and am thinking that surely some of our member CDers have had unpleasant experiences there.

I know that on the "MAC is great" threads, it can seem awkward for those who might want to chime in with a bad experience, so here's your chance.

Cheers,

Charolette time
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Im Dumb Whats MAC ??? Charolette

Cristi
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
None here! I would say the EXPERIENCE was better than great. I went to browse (while en femme on halloween) and ended up getting a mini-makeover! I still stop and think once in a while about that 20 minutes or so I sat there in a short skirt and hose, with my purse on my lap, getting makeup tips and consultation on my best colors. :)

All I would change, if I were to do it again, is that I told her it was 'just for halloween'. After all I've read here, I wish I had told her the truth. I think she knew anyway, since she was showing me how to do things as if I were going to be using the product every day and reminded me to ask for her by name when I came back for more!

The only downsides are the price ($150 for lipstick, powder, foundation and a brush!) and the fact that I don't think the the foundation I got there covered my beard quite as well a more common national brand I've been getting at Walgreens!

Wanda.cd.northern.NH
03-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm not in the loop either. What is MAC? Is that Macy's?

Cristi
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm not in the loop either. What is MAC? Is that Macy's?

MAC is a brand of cosmetics. The have some stand-alone stores, but mostly appear as a counter in stores such as Macy's.

they have a reputation of being very TS/TG/CD friendly, hence the question.

vbcdgrl
03-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I've heard all of the good reports, too. I haven't gone yet, but plan to in the near future. I'll let you know how it goes.

Vikki

rickie121x
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
.... I don't think the the foundation I got there covered my beard quite as well a more common national brand I've been getting at Walgreens! Ok. what common national brand was that? Always like to know with which others have had success.
Rickie :heehee:

Christina Nicole
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Three bad experiences.

The first was a bad product recommendation. The makeup artist sold me a foundation and powder that was the wrong shade, looked very heavy, and turned oily looking after wearing it for about an hour. It looked so oily, that I had to keep blotting and powdering, which just made it even thicker looking. Far far from natural. Yes, she tried the stuff on me at the store.

The second was also a bad product recommendation. Good matching of skin tone, but still an icky foundation, but less icky than the first one.

The third and final straw that broke this camel's back was the loud thumping music they had playing. I could not hear the MA, and she could not hear me. All of the makeup artists looked like they were going to a Halloween party with some pretty strange looking hair and makeup.

Despite hearing good things about MAC, gave up on them and went over to Lancome. I've tried a few other brands, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Chanel, Merle Norman, and a few others, but overall, I like Lancome the best. I like Merle Norman for some things, Bare Escentuals for others, and Jane Iredale's lipsticks, too.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Carin's Wife GG
03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
for really good coverage and perfect matching,might I suggest Prescriptives (Macys, Nordstroms etc.

Louise.

Cristi
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Ok. what common national brand was that? Always like to know with which others have had success.

I've been using Maybelline 'Dream Matte mousse' foundation. It covers really well, compared to the results I got from the more expensive MAC product.

Myst
03-29-2007, 09:47 PM
they have a reputation of being very TS/TG/CD friendly, hence the question.

Do they? :thumbup:

My ex-GF used to buy all her cosmetics from MAC. She always got great service and even though I myself was not using make-up at the time, I could tell that it was also a good quality product.

I would love to buy some stuff from there, and knowing that it is CD friendly, then I may make the trip someday!

Sorry, not a post about any bad experiences, I know, but I do have one complaint about MAC... they should have a store closer to me!!! :p

Myst :star:

Billijo49504
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Well, I have never used MAC, but today we were at Macy's to go to the Lancome counter. I had a foundation match and was given a sample, 1/2 X 3/4 inch, and that was supposed to be a 10 day supply of foundation. If that's the best they can do, with me spending over $140, that's pretty poor. I bought 2 Hypnose gift sets, @ $72 each. And then I found that the full size foundation was over $34, ouch!!!!! JMHO...BJ

Rachel Morley
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Any Bad experiences at MAC?
None whatsoever! My wife is a total MACaholic and loves all their stuff except for their mascara (which seems to clump really quickly).

For me I finally after two years of searching have found a foundation that is THE BOMB! as far as I am concerned. I have the new micronized airbrush formula liquid foundation that although has a lot of pigment is very light in consistency but covers wonderfully.

So yeah, MAC .... awesome in our house. :D

Carin's Wife GG
03-30-2007, 12:10 AM
None whatsoever! My wife is a total MACaholic and loves all their stuff except for their mascara (which seems to clump really quickly).

For me I finally after two years of searching have found a foundation that is THE BOMB! as far as I am concerned. I have the new micronized airbrush formula liquid foundation that although has a lot of pigment is very light in consistency but covers wonderfully.

So yeah, MAC .... awesome in our house. :D

about MAC.

Louise.:love:

Sheri 4242
03-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Well, my few experiences with MAC have been great -- I especially like some of their eye shadows. The BEST source I can give you about MAC comes from one of my stepdaughters. (She's the only one of our children that knows abt my CDing.) She is is Loss Prevention for a major department store chain in Florida, and, over the years has made a number of contacts in the many departments at various stores. She reports that in talking to the people at every MAC counter she has been to, all admit to being TV/CD/TS friendly. My stepdaughter got the impression that, while not an official company policy, that this attitude is pretty widespread with MAC -- sort of like an unspoken attitude that is greatly encouraged.

Marlena Dahlstrom
03-30-2007, 02:31 AM
She reports that in talking to the people at every MAC counter she has been to, all admit to being TV/CD/TS friendly. My stepdaughter got the impression that, while not an official company policy, that this attitude is pretty widespread with MAC -- sort of like an unspoken attitude that is greatly encouraged.

Actually it's corporate policy that they're transgender friendly.

kathy gg
03-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Do they? :thumbup:

I would love to buy some stuff from there, and knowing that it is CD friendly, then I may make the trip someday!

Myst :star:

Hi Myst

It is actually in their employee handbook to be helpful and provide the best possibel service regardless of orientations/gender presentation/and sexual idenity.

I also read Christina Nicoles post....I will agree that if you get a new make up artist there is a chance that she wont' be as skilled in choosing a foundation type.....and as for the music....this is true, MAC is geared more towards the Gen X and Y age range and their store music is loud and the SA's are usually very exotic in hair and make up.

In some ways it is like Foot Locker, you just can't go in a Foot Locker without getting called "dude".....but actualluy...I really am not ready to get Maam'ed yet.....desperatly clinging to my youth! haha!

Christina Nicole
03-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I also read Christina Nicoles post....I will agree that if you get a new make up artist there is a chance that she wont' be as skilled in choosing a foundation type.....and as for the music....this is true, MAC is geared more towards the Gen X and Y age range and their store music is loud and the SA's are usually very exotic in hair and make up.

In some ways it is like Foot Locker, you just can't go in a Foot Locker without getting called "dude".....but actualluy...I really am not ready to get Maam'ed yet.....desperatly clinging to my youth! haha!

All right! You win! Uncle! Uncle! Err umm. I mean Aunt! Aunt! So I'm old. OK? I don't "do" exotic, I like a nice jazz set over "clubbing" and I don't get rap. About as exotic as I'll get is a bright pink lipstick. Jeez Louise.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Sedona
03-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Cool,
Thanks for all the replies ladies. I do agree with rainbownine that prescriptives foundation is superior, but other than that, and price, MAC is queen in the CD world.

Cristi
03-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Jeez Louise.

Christina Nicole

LOL! I think just that expression makes your point... :) I don't think anybody under 40 has ever said it.

Billijo49504
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
What really blows my mind, Is the makeup counters at Macy's are all gender equal, but don't try to buy a bra at Macy's. They don't want to talk to us, none the less, actually deal with us....BJ

stacie
03-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Never had any problems, everyone has always been great and very friendly, Plus helpfull.

Krystal Lee
04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
What really blows my mind, Is the makeup counters at Macy's are all gender equal, but don't try to buy a bra at Macy's. They don't want to talk to us, none the less, actually deal with us....BJ

Billijo,

I must wonder at that statement, personally I love Macy's lingerie sections and have always been treated wonderfully.

Often I ask to use a fitting room and most of the time this is no problem. Every now and then I will encounter a prude in one of the stores (I shop at quite a few of the Macy's in two states.)

Being denied access to a fitting room or treated in a way that would make me feel uncomfortable is a very unusuall experiance.

I have made a number of friends from the intimate sections in quite a few Macy's. The initial contact was me buying pretty things from them.

Sorry for going off thread. Hugs Krystal.

Bunny Love
04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Don't some of the MAC stand-alone stores have a private area in the back for make-up application for CDs?

Joy Carter
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Cool,
Thanks for all the replies ladies. I do agree with rainbownine that prescriptives foundation is superior, but other than that, and price, MAC is queen in the CD world.

When I had my makeup done at MAC, the artist suggested another brand of foundation other than the MAC. Can't recall the name though.
So far I have invested over two hundred into their product line.:eek:
I bought some "bronzer" a lipstick and a tanning cream to even out my tan and that all totaled sixty dollars. It's not cheep by any means.

Wendy48088
04-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Ok. what common national brand was that? Always like to know with which others have had success.

For me, Max Factor Pan Stick

http://www.maxfactor.com/user/get/product_details.do?lookupId=face_found_stick_panst ik

You'll need to buy several (at around $7 each) to find the shade or combination of shade that works best for you.

It is kinda heavy, but works well for us older girls who have not have beard area facial hair removal and have not had a face lift...

sherri
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
After reading some of the MAC posts on this forum I was very curious. I was in Dillards Saturday for the first time in a long time and spotted the new MAC kiosk. I was in drab and didn't linger long, but their products seemed very nice. They had four chairs and sales girls, and a line of young girls waiting their turns. No older women customers, and the sales girls were all young and punk looking with wild hairdos. Quite a contrast from the staff and customers at the other brand counters.

As much as I would love a makeover, I saw three people from my home town in Dillards that day, so I don't know what the solution might be. I guess maybe a weekday morning, but that's still a vulnerable situation for me.