PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and things leading up to my "Makeover"

Phyliss
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
A short (at least I hope it'll be short) personal account of my upcoming "Make Over"

Mar 27.
Had a "breakfast date" with wife and dessert afterwards, (kinda fun time)
She fell back asleep so having a few moments to myself, I decided to "play". Put on my new black leather pants and 4" heeled boots, along with my cowel neck (red) sweater that shows off my "forms" quite well, and called the nail salon I frequent, to see if they were crowded. (Don't want to scandalize anybody) Spoke to Linda, (not her real name, but for clarity I've given her that name) and asked if they were busy. Now Linda knows about me and has no problem with it, in fact she thinks it's sorta cool. So having determined that "the coast was clear" I drove to town and stopped into show off. The owner also has no problem with me, and didn't mind my stopping in. Complimented me on my choice and mentioned that she was gonna get herself a pair also. While I was there, her 11:30 appointment entered the shop. No problem from either the owner or the newly arrived customer. I asked Linda if I could speak to her privately about makeup, and we went to her station, which happens to be in another room. (The salon is set up in an old house, which is why her station is in a seperate room.)
I told her that I was looking for some time from her to help me with a makeover and to give me some pointers about doing my face, (still learning about all of this) We discussed some of what I was looking to acheive and she asked about the different colors of clothing I wanted to wear.
Now have an album of some of my different clothes and various poses that I have done myself. This time somebody else will be taking the pictures. We decided that I should bring in my photo album on Wed and my makeup case, so that she can go through it to see what I have and if any "improvements" are needed.
I should note here that I didn't feel nervous about driving to the shop or being in the salon and talking to the owner and Linda. I did however have a slight "twinge" when getting out of the car and having to walk to the front door. (Fortunately I was able to park directly out front of the salon). Still, there was a bit of, not really "fear" but, I guess "apprehension" would be a good word. When I was, for all intents out in the open
We set up two appointments, one for tomorrow after 1 p.m. so I can bring in my pictures and makeup, the other is scheduled for Tuesday April 3 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. so that I'll have enough time to her her "do me" and be able to change into some different clothing.

Mar 28
Stopped in to see Linda earlier today and showed her my "scrap book of pictures" and brought along my makeup case. I've left it with her so that she can look closely at it and decide which colors will go best with the clothes I'll be bringing along.

Mar 31
After getting out of the shower this morning and looking in the mirror, I noticed that my eye brows were a mess. In desperate need of a waxing. Yeah I could wait until Tuesday morning when I go for my pictures, but that would take away from some valuable ME time. Plus the fact that freshly waxed skin doesn't really like makeup. Decided to spend a few moments getting prepared. Using the excuse of getting gas for the car, (which it needed anyhow) I went to my salon for a "quickie" ( she does "walk ins"). As it turns out she wasn't there just then but behind the reception desk was a MAN.
Here I stand, wearing, my chocolate colored pants from FDJ in size 10, blouse from Lane Bryant, light orange color,size 18, lavendar colored pull over sweater with open neck polo style collar, size 18 from Brooks Bros., brown loafers with 2" heels from Payless, taupe stockings, not a stich of male clothing and carrying my bag. No makeup or wig on, not trying to pass but rather wearing what makes me feel good at the time. Other than the heels everything was rather a neutral look. I know the color combination sounds a bit odd but actually it worked well as a set.
"Hi, how can I help you?"

O.K. time to "fish or cut bait" Mumble something, run, or state my reason for being there. ANOTHER STEP TAKEN.
I answer, " Hello, is Liza, (not her real name) or Linda busy? I'm in desperate need of an eyebrow wax."
"Well, Linda is busy with a client doing a coloring, and Liza isn't here right now, but she's due here in about 15 min. Can you wait? She has a 1 p.m. appointment and I'm sure she could slip you in just before that."
"O.K. good, I'll just sit and read a magazine."
Wow, that wasn't so difficult. He must be a "part timer" she has helping her. He was polite, I was polite, business is business. No problem here. I'm sure I'm not the first "guy" he's seen in here.
So, into the "waiting area" I head, sit down, pick up a copy of "People" and cross my legs without thinking. OOOPS, the area between my shoe tops and bottom of my pants shows my stockings. ( If I quickly "uncross" that'll draw attention to me) "screw it", I think, "If the other customers wanna look then let 'em"
While sitting there, the fella who was behind the desk, comes in and tells one of the women that the tanning bed is now available for her. She gets up to go and one of the other women asks this guy a question, which seems, to me, to be a bit odd. It has to do with a legal question about driving and particular laws. Closing the magazine I pay attention to the conversation without saying a word, (perhaps a bit impolite to do that, but I just couldn't resist) As he answers her question, something becomes quite evident to me. He fully knows what he's talking about and as I look more closly at him I begin to realize that this guy is a "Police Officer" Just the way they stand, carry themself, and speak, says "I'm on The Job". WHOOO Boy Have I ever gotten myself into something", is my first thought, but then I think "wait a minute, I'm not breaking any law here and I'm a customer, screw it again"
Well, Liza shows up and after a few moments tells me to hop in her chair. She mentions to me that I made a smart choice by coming in on Saturday rather than wait until Tuesday., so that the skin could "recover" Listening to her talk to "the guy" I learn another thing. He's her boyfriend, and is actually a town cop. He works there on his "off time" to help her out. Now, I didn't say anything to him about "I'm a CD", but I'm sure Liza may have mentioned it to him or maybe she hasn't, (something like Dr.and patient priviledge) Hair dresser and client talk is thought of as sacred. Either way I don't much care at this point.
Wax job done, I check in the mirror to see if I'm happy, and I am as usual. Thin with a bit of an arch. Not quite totally "girly" but not looking like two fuzzy caterpillars living there, (Think the show Law and Order, and the character ADA Jack McCoy, or Andy Rooney) .
As I get out of the chair, and head to the register to pay her I suddenly realize that the 2" heels have been making THAT clacking sound when I was walking around in her shop, (hard wood floors have a way of increasing the sound volume). Too late to start walking on tip toe now, "screw it a third time" Pay,tip her and leave.
Fun little adventue of the morning. Wanting to continue the "fun" I remained in my clothes, except for a quick shoe change ( the loafers are a bit tight, gotta wear them more often to break them in) opted for some guy shoes for the rest of the day, also brown loafers, but with a bit more room. As for any comments from wife. Not a word about what I was wearing, Like I said from a casual glance it all looked rather neutral and quite "passable" as guy stuff.

Apr 1
Happened to be at gym this morning and while on the treadmill I was getting a bit tired and just about ready to quit, but I kept saying to myself, "omg gotta stay in a size 10, omg gotta stay in a size 10, go for an 8 go for an 8, don't wanna be fat don't wanna be fat" Clothing size is a good motivator. ;-)

Apr 2
On Friday I had stopped by a lingerie store in Portsmouth that I frequent, to pick up a pair of nice "fishnets" to go with some of my outfits. To show you how my luck runs to the really strange, I was standing at the register talking to the owner, (btw we've become somewhat friends), anyhow in walks a lady with a map in her hands looking for directions to a particular place in town.
Now follow closely because this is really odd. I had paid for the stockings and was in the process of putting them in my purse when the lady walked in. As I listened to her question, I took the map from her hand and drew the proper directions she wanted. Then I handed her back the map, and she left. I chatted with the owner for a few more moments and I also left. When I got home, I reached into my purse to retreive the stockings and noted that they weren't there. "Dumb me, I forgot them on the counter" I figured. "Oh well, the owner will email me to tell me I forgot them, and I'll stop back in on Monday.
Sunday I get an email from her saying that the lady who was asking for directions brought in a pair of stockings still in the package. It seems that when I took the map to draw the direction I still had the stocking package in my hand and when I handed her back the map I had handed her the package also. She didn't notice it at the time, niether did I or the owner.
So the "lesson" here is that "No good deed goes unpunished". Trying to be a good person I end up giving away a nice $20 pair of "fishnet" stockings. Thankfully the lady was nice enough to bring them back. I don't believe she would have worn them anyhow, (the gal looked to be about 70).
Went back on Monday to truly pick up my stockings. Just my really ODD luck.

Apr 3
Woke up early today being somewhat nervous about my "make over" today. Spent the last hour making an inventory of what I want to bring and checking my shoes, makeup, wig, accessories, and double checking the stockings I want to wear with each set of clothes. Especially the "wandering fishnets". Those went into my shoe bag first to be sure I had them
Time now: 5:50 a.m. and I'm begining to get "butterflys" about this. Also looking forward to the fun. Really confusing emotions.

7:34 a.m. Didn't go to gym this a.m. too busy "packing" .
Took a bit longer than normal shower, being sure to scrub well, and "double shave" my face. Purposefully didn't do a good job yesterday, so as to let more growth happen. For me, I seem to get a closer shave if I skip a day. Anyhow, face is nice and smooth now, applied some moistureizer to help it a bit. Dropped off grandson at school and head back home. Triple check my inventory, 5 different pair of shoes, including my knee high boots, 8 pair of stockings, including 3 extra pair of pantyhose, different colors, (suntan, beige, taupe, black, and off black) skirts and blouses, leather pants, (can't forget them, the entire purpose of this "shoot"), wig, (I'm wearing it), Linda already has my makeup case, Forms (I'm wearing them), panties, I'm wearing a pair and have a tighter pair in the shoe bag, accessories, ( earrings and necklaces in their own container), in the shoe bag,.
One more time,
panties,........................ check
bra,...............................check
stockings......................check
shoes...........................check
skirts............................check
blouses........................check
wig...............................check
makeup (there)..............check
CAMERA!!!!.............................CHECK!!! With spare batteries, and tripod. What's a CD without a camera? We simply HAVE to record our exploits and be able to admire ourself in the future. Besides, how else can we show others what fun we're having?

8:21. Tried playing a few games of Solitaire to calm myself, just too nervous to think straight, omg, I've had to "P" at least three times in the past few minutes. Why am I so nervous about this?

8:27. Oh great, just when I decide to start putting my "things" in the car it has to start raining, Can't wear my leather pants now, don't want them to get wet, gotta go quick change into some other pants. More of my "wonderful fortunes"

8:55 Arrive at salon for the "job". In luck, a parking space right out front. Pull in and "feed the meter", walk around to the passenger side to get my "goodies", sling purse over shoulder, along with camera bag and bulging shoe bag. Reach into car to get my clothes that are on hangers, of course you just know that I wasn't able to grab the entire bundle and didn't realize this until my mini skirt slipped out of my hand an into the rain swollen gutter. OH *****!!!!. Instantly picked it up before it got too wet. Just more "good luck"

The door is unlocked and in I go for a two hour trip to heaven. Linda is ready for me and tells me to go to her station chair and she'll be right with me. I can't begin to describe all the fun I had as she applied the makeup and talked to me like I was a woman getting a professional makeup job done. Tried on a number of different clothes as she redid my makeup for each set of clothes I had picked out.

I soooooo hated to have the time end, Lie the kid in the pet store who's been playing with the puppy, it was time to give the puppy back. Almost makes me want to cry each time that happens.

SherriePall
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Phyliss -- Wow! What a couple of days you had there. A make-over is absolutely lots of fun. Can we expect to see pics?

Diana West
04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds wonderful.
I hope to find someone in a salon with such understanding and helpfulness.
Does "Linda" or "Liza" know anyone in the south Chicago suburbs?

Are there any tips that she gave you that you want to share?

Holly
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
And just where are the pictures, young lady?

Phyliss
04-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Pictures can be seen at "A Thinner Phyliss" in the picture forum.

Being from New Hampshire, I don't believe thay know anybody in the Chicago area.