PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the epilator

Nicole
04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Today was Karen's first rip-roaring adventure with the epilator hair remover. It has been a day of pain, torture, and eventually some results. Oh lord, what a trial it has been. I hope next time is a lot easier! :eek:

I have heard your stories. Read the forums. Weighed the pros and cons of everything from shaving to laser treatments. Then I gritted my teeth and epilated my legs, arms, and a small part of my tummy. No Tylenol, no beer, no hot bath presoak. The only prep work was trimming my body hair to 1/4 inch before unleashing the tiny whirring demon upon my unsuspecting flesh.

It. Hurt. Like. Heck. Not quite HELL (electrolysis!), just Heck. The legs were first. As the epilator skimmed up to my knees I felt three distinct levels of pain. Level one was like tiny needle pricks. Not bad at all. The sides of my calves and backs of my thighs were level ones. Level two was like a slow rug burn. The tops of my legs and arms deserve this honor. Finally level threeEEE was like being attacked with a contractor-grade belt sander. Bikini line and tummy were all over this category. OUCH! :eek:

It took one full hour to do each leg. Another 45 minutes for each arm. By the time I got to my tummy, I only managed to get a baseball card-sized spot done. Too painful to do more than that in a single day. I was sweating and slightly exhausted by the end of my ordeal. On the upside, I'm really smooth!

Epilating is pretty much the same as waxing except no messy gunk and cleanup involved. It works, but tomorrow I think I will enjoy a few brews before subjecting the remainder of my chest area to more torture.

I only hope the worst of it is over and pray that maintaining the smoothness will be much easier from now on...

jennifer easton
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
been there done that!!! isn't it just great!!! ooooooh the pain!! good news is the 3rd time you do it, it dose get better, except for your chest, I never got to where I could do my chest with no pain, but my legs and bikini,and bum, tummy, was a breze, I say that in past tenits because I have put the devils weadeater up for the summer, boy just think I get to do it all over agin next fall!!!

LoriFlores
04-03-2007, 08:40 PM
I use an epilator as well although I continue to shave my underarms. Epilating is not comfortable but it lasts much longer than shaving so it's worth the discomfort. I currently use a Braun Silk.epil Xelle 5270 and am very pleased with it.

Joy Carter
04-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Cost wise, time wise and fuss wise it's the best way I have found to go. BTW, I use an inexpensive barber hair shaver, and trim the hair down to about three eights of an inch before epilating. It's much easier on me and the machine.

Sedona
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
I bought a cheap epilator a few years ago, and OUCH. Then, like a noodle-head, bought another, more expensive version that had some sort of vibrating bead attachment that promised little discomfort. Again, OUCH.

I'll never use one again, and this from someone who tolerates Brazilian waxing with little problem.

But, glad it's working for you sister, you're a braver girl than I,

lisalove
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I use an Emjoi Gently Gold Caress. I t does hurt a bit but I will telll you from experience, Take a long hot bath first. It opens up the pores and help release the stubborn folicules. Make the whole process a lot less painful. I do everything from toes to chest about every six weeks.

jennifer easton
04-03-2007, 10:24 PM
SIX WEEKS geeees I have to do me every week!! must be nice, no wonder it dosen't hurt you, you lucky thing, your hair must be as fine as baby hair

DawnRodgers
04-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Just know that the more you do it (epilate) the easier it gets and the less pain you will feel. And there will be less hair to work on. Certainly the first time is the hardest since the hair has never been thoroughly removed. Shaving just cuts it off. Epilating pulls it out by the root. A lot never regrows and the hairs that do regrow are finer and easier to remove. I guarantee that it is a feeling that you will never tire of. Smooth, haorless skin that just feels so good and so sexy. I epilate everywhere below the neck. It is fantastic. Incidentally I find the hardest area to do is where the family jewels are. Very hard to keep the skin taut. That may be the most important thing - stretching out the skin so that it doesn't pull when the hair is pulled. If anything, work on that.
Dawn

DAVIDA
04-04-2007, 06:10 AM
I gave it up! The hair on parts of my legs were groing under the skin and causing problems. I just rely on shaving and the bleeding for now!
Love, Davida

Terri Ryan
04-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Hi, I've been using an epilator since christmas ( bought it as a present to me) & am really happy with results on arms & legs, lovely smooth skin to see & feel, gave up on chest & stomach, nice result but pain & time didn't beat shaving. I find I have to do light touch up on arms & legs every few days but can go for a week if necessary without the obvious growth after shaving
Happy Easter
Terri

barbie lanai
04-04-2007, 06:49 AM
I found a glass of wine helped with the pain. But the hairs would tend to be ingrown and made bumps all over. Then somehow the hairs it ripped out of me, got into the machine and mucked up the gears, until the teeth broke. After the second one did the same thing, I gave up and use razors & Nair.

CharleneCD
04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
The first time I used an epilator it did hurt, but each time I did the pain got less. Now I sometimes have to look to make sure it is pulling the hairs. I hardly feel it. One thing though, I only use it on my legs. I havn't gotten brave enough to use it elsewhere.

Nicole
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I gave it up! The hair on parts of my legs were groing under the skin and causing problems. I just rely on shaving and the bleeding for now!
Love, Davida

Ingrowns are a common problem. Based upon what I've read here, a daily routine of light exfoliation and moisturizing should take care of it. I get ingrowns whether I shave or use Nair so I figured I might as well epilate since it lasts the longest. Now all I need is a camelback full of Chianti and I will be ready for another touchup. :heehee:

Joy Carter
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I found a glass of wine helped with the pain. But the hairs would tend to be ingrown and made bumps all over. Then somehow the hairs it ripped out of me, got into the machine and mucked up the gears, until the teeth broke. After the second one did the same thing, I gave up and use razors & Nair.

That's why you need to pre-shave with a barbers hair cutter first. The epliator wasn't made for such thick hair growth.

DawnRodgers
04-04-2007, 01:39 PM
I guerss I'm lucky. In over 20 years of epilating I have never had a single problem with ingrowm hairs or bumps. Actually, I only have any hair regrowth after all of those years in light areas on the sides of my knees, the bottom of my arms, very slight under arm area and, the most regrowth in the pubic area. How I do wish that would go away completely. It is easily ther most sensitive area to epilate.
Dawn

Nicole
04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I just tried to epilate the rest of my chest and tummy area and had to give up. It is too painful to do this area! Oucheeee! Time for the electric razor.

Dawn, you are one tough cookie! I'm going to stick to the legs and arms from now on.

Cassie Cas
04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
I just tried to use my epilator on my chest. Needless to say next attempt will be after a 6 pack of Long Trail double bagger ale.
\
Legs are fine now and I luv the feel. However, I don't get 6 weeks, nor 3, nor 2. After one week I need to touch up!

Katrina
04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I found that the most painful spot was the front of my legs right above the knee. For some reason, the chest, tummy, hands, and bum weren't as bad. Still completely painful by the way, but "tolerable" compared to the legs.

Nicole
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I found that the most painful spot was the front of my legs right above the knee. For some reason, the chest, tummy, hands, and bum weren't as bad. Still completely painful by the way, but "tolerable" compared to the legs.

Oooooh I KNOW that spot. Top of the shins makes me squirm! It doesn't take long to get through it though. Once the endorphins kick in it isn't so bad.

You and Dawn are tough girls! The chest and especially the area around my bellybutton is all but impossible to do without crying. I give up and salute your incredible pain threshold! :notworthy:

TeriAnn
04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
tried the machine once never again I will stick to shaving with a blade and shaving cream. No pain for me never liked it never will

Sejd
04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
This is my 25 cents. Shawing doesn not make you look like a woman! NEWER. why? because the black devils still sits beneth the skin looking black and ugly. There is no shave which will take the black "Male Look" off your face. My suggestion is to simply pluck at your dark hairs with a tweezer until they are gone, and to continue with that every morning. You will be surprised how well it works and it is not even painfull. After a few weeks, my face was "Black free" and smooth as a womans chin. No machines, no bleach and no laser. Just an old fasion tool to remove unwanted black beard hairs. It works great, and once you have your beard growth under controll, it takes almost no time to keep it that way.
good luck
hugs :hugs:
Sejd

TxKimberly
04-05-2007, 03:08 AM
ROFL - been there done that!
Much as you appear to have decided about your chest and belly, I have decided there are areas I simply can not tolerate the pain. I can only do my legs from the knees down, and my arms.
For my chest I use wax. It still hurts but the difference is it is a much faster process that does not drag the ouchies out such a long time. RRRRIIIIPPPP and you have a 2X6 inch section clean that would have taken a epilator 20 minutes.
Also, it DOES get easier, both waxing and epilating. I once had a VERY hairy chest and now 10 years after I started waxing, it is almost clear and requires very little to mantain.
Kim

Nicole
04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Update: I was able to epilate my entire chest area this afternoon! No painkillers necessary! It stung a bit but was nowhere near as bad as my first two attempts. Maintaining the smoothness will be easy from now on. Yay!

I have no idea what changed, but I'm happy that my body has adjusted to the pain. Keep this in mind if your first session didn't go very well. It gets a lot easier. :happy:

NatieBe
04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I've been thinking about try the Epi but after the previous post I think I'll stay with a razor.... I've been mopping up tears from LOL at the funny but not funny experiences and I definitely don't won't the neighbors running over to see who's being skinned alived.....:heehee:

Shelly R
04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I gave up on the Epilady years ago, painful no end, I now use the Emjoi Gold Caress, Yes it hurts but not as much. Once you have used it a few times getting rid of hair becomes only maintainance and hurts no where near as much. Since being on hormones I only have to do this every 3 months or so, the most during the summer (shorts and skirts). I love the smooth feel when I am done, sorry no razors, not any more.
The worst was the inside of my thighs, belly, and chest! Had to do it, just hated the hair.

Rita Knight
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Karen,
Take this from a gurl that has been epilating for the past 7 years. You must do it at least every week. The hairs grow back at different rates; Some are deeper than others, some break off being epilated. If you do it every week, it becomes a lot less painful. A major reason for it being so painful the first time is that you are pulling out every hair. It's only in the past 6 months that I have been doing my chest and abdomen. I would not dream of doing this on my face or underarms.

micheal
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I used to think i had a high pain threshold until i tried epilatoing my tummy/chest.
I think it might be somthing to do with the strange hair directions.
Read something somewhere about only going against the grain.
Below the knee is definitely the easyist.
Havent maneged to do all my thighs yet but i allso havent tryed doing it after a hot bath yet.

Its a very strange feeling that i could only compair to holding a cigaret lighter on your leg.
My instinctive recation is to want to move it but the faster it gos the more it hurts :o .

Sweet Cindy
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Tears of pain and joy!

Way to go, Karen!

TxKimberly
04-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Forgot to mention that my wife decided to try my epilator. She placed in against her leg, screamed, and threw my $60 epilator across the room. ROFL
Kim

"Mary"
04-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm having good luck with a Braun epilator. Nice and smooth. I had an old Epi lady and had several occasional painful sessions with it. I did thin the growth pretty well so the new unit had comparitively easy work.

However, I'm finding the skin looks rather "pore-y". Has anyone had such expereince? Treatment? Cure? Prevention?

Diana

Sally24
04-10-2007, 05:33 AM
I have been working with a Remington eppilator off and on for the last year. When it works well things are fantastik! I am still trying to find a system of care that reduces my ingrowns and those funky hairs that grow horizontally under the skin. I have to do my arms at least once a week. The legs only look great for less than a week.

As far as pain goes my vote goes to the area just behind the knee and to the side. 2 inches away, not really any pain, but that area is super sensitive! Of course the inner areas just below the pubic area is also very painful. I don't have much of a problem with my tummy. The placement of nerves is a little different on everyone. I used nair previously for my hands and feet and shaved everything else. This is so much better. Just wished it lasted for me as long as it seems for some of you ladies. Guess my hair just grows alot faster.

jaqui928
04-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I have been using an epilator for around five years (3rd one). I agree there are times when it really hurts (chest only) but it is worth it. The legs get easier after each time (don't wait for the hair to get to long). Above the knees are the worst part as previously mentioned.

I Love being smooth all over. try using veet after epilating, you have to wait a day to heel from the hair pulling. But the veet really leaves your legs silky smooth.

I wear toenail polish all the time and an anklet. When I slip on nightgown I feel really sexy. I wish I could go out in a skirt.

Phyliss
04-18-2007, 03:29 AM
With Summer approaching and the wearing of short sleeve shirts being the norm, I've been thinking of ways to keep my arms hair free. Shaving them everyday is a natural thought but the "stubbles" just don't feel right, waxing is also an option, but only every seven weeks when I go for my "full body job" seems to be a bit long between sessions.
The other day I finally broke down and bought an epilator. I will have to say one thing, I'm real glad I didn't try it out in the bikini area first. THAT would have completely stopped from EVER thinking about hair removal.
Had this item been around during "The Spanish Inquisition" there would have been many more "confessions" . It isn't too horrible on my arms, but I can see why it shouldn't ever be used in the underarm or bikini area. :eek: :eek:

Did get a small case of the "red BBs" on the skin surface, which is a result of the hair removal process, but that went away after a few hours. I guess if I do any sort of "epilating" on my arms, it should be done in the evening to look OK for the next day.
Considering the extra cost of having my arms waxed, (along with everything else) and the $24.98 I paid for this I figure that in two wax sessions I'll have recovered my investment.

Jammie Lyann
04-18-2007, 04:11 PM
I just bought a 3 in 1 an did my arms to test it out 3 days later I have hair growing again so much for 4 to 6 weeks , at least it wasnt a total waste of money has a razor attachment shaved the hair on my legs an didnt evet get a red bump :)

Shannah
04-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Ingrowns are a common problem. Based upon what I've read here, a daily routine of light exfoliation and moisturizing should take care of it. I get ingrowns whether I shave or use Nair so I figured I might as well epilate since it lasts the longest. Now all I need is a camelback full of Chianti and I will be ready for another touchup. :heehee:

Hope you have better luck than I did. I made sure to exfoliate and lotion every day and still, at least 50% of my hair was ingrown, not attractive. I tried several times before giving up on epilating.

shannonsilk
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I am apparently even less able to take pain than anyone else. i could only do small patches the 1st time. i think it took 3 times to do a shin. a couple days to do a thigh( 2 tortures a day). about a week to do my torso. lots of bumps and ingrowns. but after 3 months it goes pretty easy and looks pretty smooth. i'm glad i started in winter so it may be all right for shorts season.

EmmaJane TS
04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi,

After reading the posts I'm going out ot buy an epilator tomorrow, I just hope I can tolerate the initial pain...:eek:

I'll report back once some hair has grown back so I can give it a try.

Hugs and kisses,

EmmaJ

EmmaJane TS
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi Girls,

OMG :eek: so much pain, but soo work it, I've done everywhere, arms, armpit :eek: , bikini line :eek: :eek: and legs (what is it with the knee area :eek: ).

I feel like a godess I'm that smooth!