PDA

View Full Version : Final Someone At Work Knows

jsoto81
04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
A few weeks ago I'd email someone at work, and when they get my message it says B. (insert last name here). So when I'd come to work he'd asked me what the B was for and started raddling off female names that begin with B.

I told him nope but I'd tell him later, well that was about a week ago and we'd never seemed to have time alone when someone else wasn't around and I'd beable to tell him privately. Well tonight we were closing together and I had a chance to tell him what the B stood for.

Long story short he was totally fine with it, and honored that he was the first person that I told, and gave me a big hug. He said he'd hoped that he hadn't offended me by calling me dear and sweetie for the past 9-10 months (he's in his mid 30's but has a old soul you know) I'd told him no that I wasn't offended, that he couldn't have know so it's no problem.

Let me just say how nice it was to tell someone. And I didn't freak out or break down and cry like I unfortunately have the habit of doing. Therapy really seems to be helping cause I can freak out and cry there and then by the time I need to tell someone it's already out.

So let's hope that everyone takes it this well.

AllieSF
04-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Congratulations! I know the exact feeling up to the point of actually telling someone. Tonight reading and responding to soem of these posts here, I was thinking just that. How great it would be to have a non-dressing friend with whom I could share my new interest. It does get lonely. Thankfully, I found this site and have already made some friends, one local.

Cherish and respect your new confidant and try to avoid putting him/her in a difficult situation. Sometimes in my exhuberance, I overstep my bounds and end up creating an awkward or worse moment.

Kate Simmons
04-04-2007, 02:02 AM
Wow, that was great Ben. Just be yourself and you will be fine, and don't worry about crying. Happens to the best of us sometimes, even this tough old gal.:happy: Sal

Felix
04-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Hey Ben that's great Hun :hugs: I know that feeling of telling someone in the workplace it was hard but once I'd done it it got easier and now a small circle of friends in work know about me. They are cool with it too. Like Aluchi said it does get lonely but once others know who are accepting then it's a lot better and not so lonely anymore. xx Felix :hugs:

John
04-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Well done mate :GD:

CaptLex
04-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Congrats, Ben - well done. :hugs: I'm glad he took it well and I'm glad therapy is helping you get those feelings out. I know it's a little early in the day, but what the heck . . . let's celebrate. :cheers:

Tristan
04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Woot, well done, Ben. That's great that he took it so well. Happy for you, mate. :hugs: :Party2:

bi_weird
04-04-2007, 07:29 AM
YAY! Congratulations! That's way exciting that you're out AND it went well! You get a prize! *hands plate of brownies with candles*

Lex
04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Awesome stuff, good to know he's so cool about it.

Dasein9
04-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Congratulations! :D

Did someone say "Rum?"

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Congratulations! :D

Did someone say "Rum?"Rum??? :confused:

Dasein9
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
May I have Kieron's rum? He doesn't seem to want it.

CaptLex
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Rum??? :confused:

Sure, why not? I'd say this calls for rum drinks . . . help yourself. :D

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
May I have Kieron's rum? He doesn't seem to want it.
ok but only if i get your tequila rations

Dasein9
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Okay. Tequila's never appealed to me. It looks so oily.

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 10:06 AM
BTW! Ben congrats on coming out to someone and it going so well!

Question Mark
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Awesome!

Even if some people don't react well, I doubt it'll be the vast majority. And out of those some people, some will eventually come to understand and others will probably be people you don't particularly like or know very well anyways. So don't worry about it.

Marcie Sexton
04-04-2007, 11:03 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good for you....I am very happy for you..........

jsoto81
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I thought it would be nice to update everyone on how this is going.

I told another person at work a few weeks ago, it's the manager that does the scheduling for work. She'd been asking me since I'd asked for every wednesday off to go to the doctors (I think she thought I had a terminal illness or something) out in LA. So I told her finally, she looked relieved to find out that I didn't have terminal illness, but didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I told her I'm transgendered. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to explain more because we started to get a little busy.

Well today we had a store meeting and I knew the store manager would be in, so after the meeting she asked me to stay incase it got busy. I gladly did. before I left I asked her what days she was working this week because there was something I wanted to talk to her about. It was something personal but something that would effect everyone at the store eventually. I checked the floor and there actually weren't any customers there so I just decided to teller then and there.

In short she said that everyone would support me in what ever decision I made in this. And if anyone had a problem with it then they wouldn't be working here very long. I started to cry, it was so nice to hear that I would be fully supported by everyone at the store and that she was fully behind me. I told her about the two other people that knew and we kind of talked about how we would tell anyone everyone (either I would tell them one by one on my own, or we could call people into the office and tell them privately and she'd be there for support, or we could hold a big store meeting) but no matter what I chose to do she'd support me.

It was such a relief to hear this and I wanted to share it with all of you.

happyfish
04-29-2007, 10:16 PM
That is amazing. :hugs: Your manager is awesome.

CaptLex
04-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Great news, Ben, you're really on your way! :clap:

I know what you mean about people at work thinking you have a terminal illness. Every Tuesday I go see my therapist on my lunch hour, and for months all I would say is that I had a doctor appointment. By the time I came out to the firm six months later and told them my regular Tuesday appointment was for the therapist, everyone said they were relieved 'cause they thought I was dying or something. :p

Congratulations - I'll bet that's a load off your mind now. :hugs:

RevMoonSerpent
04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
That's great man. I'm glad you are getting the support you need. :D

Wren
04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
That's an intensely positive experience. I would be on cloud nine. I'm glad you have people like that in your life, doesn't happen all the time. *thumbs up*

bi_weird
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
DUUUDE that's so great! Congrats! (or goncrats, which is what I almost typed....)
Have some brownies!

jsoto81
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
awesome thanks for the brownies bi. I love brownies.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad all went well too. Now I've just got to figure out how to do this.

pocoyo
04-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Awww dude! I'm so pleased for you :hugs:
I'm glad therapy is helping too :happy:

Good on yer, you're doing so well and I'm glad you have some cool and supportive people around you, yay! :D

Evert
04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
This is so cool! :D

One :hugs: for you!
One :hugs: for your manager!