PDA

View Full Version : Female Hormones

John
04-04-2007, 06:04 AM
I went to the doctors yesterday for a number of things, one of them being the fact that I'm nearly 19 and still have achni (cringe). The doctor asked a bunch of questions, and ended up perscribing me dianette, which is an ostregen based oral contraseptive that blocks androgens (male hormones. I'm presuming it's just biochemical speak for T). I went and got them, but having read the little bookelet that comes with them, I'm not so sure I want to take them.

The pro's are that they should beat PMS (which I get to no end), clear up my skin, and eventually stop the dreded P.

The disadvantages are that, well, it's ostrogen, and I have far to much of that running rownd my system that I want. Also, by blocking androgens it also deminishes facial hair growth, and I'm really rather set on geting a hairy chin...

Also, I know that oestrogen encoreges brest groth, so theres a posibility that what I've been gived will just encorige the bain of my life to increce.

Sooooo......

Dose anyone have any advice? sugestions? information? desire to join me in ranting?

Anyone?

Tristan
04-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Wow what a tough delimena mate. Is your doctor aware of your ts issues?

bi_weird
04-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Yeah I'd say definitely talk to your doctor about that. I'm on an oral contraceptive right now, and it's certainly an interesting experience. It actually made my PMS worse, though no breast growth thankfully. A friend of mine went up a cup size though, so I'm not the best tell.

pocoyo
04-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah I would tell your doctor you're not sure/happy about taking it.

Because if not you will feel all confused and conflicted about it... and if you DID have those unwanted effects, you might feel all fed up.

So maybe find another way of sorting the acne out?

Unless it's just a short temporary thing that is reversible and put-appable with for a little while?

Investigate dude!

:hugs:

CaptLex
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
:eek: Well, John, taking female hormones had a bad effect on me and I regretted doing it, so reading this made me cringe. Of course, that's before I realized I was trans so I had no idea at the time, but if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't take estrogen or androgen blockers. There has to be other stuff you can get for the acne - maybe from a dermatologist? I can't speak for you, but I would certainly consider it carefully. :2c:

Lex
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Ask the doctor how much of an effect they will have on you. All these questions you're asking us, ask him/her. You could also ask about other acne medications and what they use.

Dasein9
04-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Ask the doctor how much of an effect they will have on you. All these questions you're asking us, ask him/her. You could also ask about other acne medications and what they use.

:yt:

I agree. Letting the doc know what's going on is key.

angeltsdream
04-04-2007, 09:59 AM
If you have many people telling you to ask your doctor about your concerns, you should listen. I will suggest to be honest with your doctor regarding your personal health and most of all what you are attempting to accomplish by taking this medication. When it comes to your health there is no room for secrets. Best wishes.
Angelique

CaptLex
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM

This is good advice, but the doctor will probably only be able to tell you what effect it would have on a regular female-bodied person, and may not have a clue (like my doctor) that it can have different negative effects on a trans female-bodied person. It's not that they don't want you to know, it's that they don't know about this stuff themselves. Not to scare you, just wanted to give you a different perspective. But definitely, ask, ask ask.

Question Mark
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Eeesh, this is a tough one.

I know that this wouldn't help with the acne, but an estrogen blocker would probably at least rid you of your period. Or maybe you could get an androgen and estrogen blocker? <_<

The problem is that the more testosterone, the more acne, and the more estrogen the smoother the skin. It's a kind of tradeoff. I know some people who're nineteen and still have acne. Is it a bad enough problem that you'd be willing to make the tradeoff?

John
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes, I told the doctor (I'm signed on as a tempery resident to the sergary as I'm home for the holidays). Had she told me it was an androgens blocker when she proscribed it (I always read the info that comes with drugs, I have an intrinsick distrust for doctors who's solution for everything is the throw drugs at you) I'd have asked more questions at the time.

This is good advice, but the doctor will probably only be able to tell you what effect it would have on a regular female-bodied person, and may not have a clue (like my doctor) that it can have different negative effects on a trans female-bodied person. It's not that they don't want you to know, it's that they don't know about this stuff themselves. Not to scare you, just wanted to give you a different perspective. But definitely, ask, ask ask.

Yeah, she seamed pretty thrown when I said it, and was obvisoly not uset to dealing with that subject, so didn't know what extra advice/information I could have done with knowing (or that taking female hormones is just going to add to the confusion. Oh god, the confusion!!!! *runs off screaming blue murder*). I think I may have to go crack out the science books for this one...

janedoe311
04-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Female and male hormones. Too much or not enough of one or both can cause some real problems, cancer as being one.

So do what your doctor says, then again see another doctor if you think he got it wrong. But do not mess with his recommendations.

John
04-13-2007, 10:41 AM
O.K. started the dreded P today, which is the day I gota decide whether to take them or not... oh blow it, if it can stop it hurting, I'm taking them. It seems even my peach-fuz isn't going to grow back, so the worst that can happen is it kicks the depresion back in for a few days and I stop. (btw, if I sudenly start sounding really emo, sugest I stop, ok?)

Question Mark
04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
No, you don't sound emo. Now, if you were doing this to "keep my inner pain from hurting inside", then there might be an issue. :P

John
04-15-2007, 04:08 AM
"keep my inner pain from hurting inside"

oh no! mark's quoting goth poatry! RUN!!! :devil:

John
04-19-2007, 08:41 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand off them again. They are indead making my deprecion kick back in; i feel abserlutly lowsy. I'm being set off by the tinyest little thing, and going from fine to hating everything in the space of about 40 seconds :(

bi_weird
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
Ouch, that sucks. *hug* hope your doctor has some suggestions for you then.

CaptLex
04-19-2007, 10:32 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand off them again. They are indead making my deprecion kick back in; i feel abserlutly lowsy. I'm being set off by the tinyest little thing, and going from fine to hating everything in the space of about 40 seconds :(
Oh, poor John. Hormones are tricky, scary things, man. They often make us feel completely out of control (whether naturally-occurring or ingested). I hope you find a way to balance out yours. :hugs:

GACountrygal
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Have you talked to your Dr about other forms of b/c that can help with your skin? I dont know what yall have avaibable over yonder, but if there are several that you could possibly go on, there might be one that doesnt make you so *moody* I have been on several, and found the one that seemed to work best was an IUD called Mirena (5 yr b/c) Talk to your Dr about other possibilities and its possible you might need something with less estrogen or more that works better for you. Its worth it to figure out which works for you!!!
Nic