PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud - support groups and going out

Marcie Sexton
04-04-2007, 10:47 AM
As I sit and read the latest posts, I am in constant amazement and a bit of envy. For the girls who are lucky enough to live in an area where they can go out and blend in among the people with out being noticed.

While I understand all to well the nerve and courage it takes to go out dressed. But for me I have to drive an hour or more just to venture out. My wife and I try to make a weekend of it, but all to often there are reasons we cancel. After all work is, well...work and an evil necessity of life. To continue
if I may, you girls who have access to support groups or girl friends, fellow cd'ers that you can go out and socialize are also a lucky breed.

In my area of the US we still live in a very unforgiving society, where even in the 21st century, gays are looked up on with disdain. I just wish I had friend "lurking" around who would reveal themselves...The nearest support group in Charlotte or Columbus, that I know of, which equates to a 3-4 hour drive. Plus you gotta know this area too...< right Karren>

The sad part of all this is there are so many who have the resourses to share their passion. So for those of you who can, should really take advantage of them...I for one would really enjoy contacts from any girls who may be lurking around...especially those who may< I wish & pray> live in my area...

...and yea I know, becareful what you wish for...but the company of another "girl" would be nice...

Just the ramblings of a girls who from time to time wishes for company of fellow girls...

Thanks for your patience girls...

Karren H
04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Know that feeling all to well..... Lived there for 6 years...... For girls with our hobby, that is definitaly a tough part of the country to live in.....

And so far all our mines must be running smoothly since no one has requested my assistance!! Lol. I did get down to Elkview!!! But didn't see you hanging around the Family Dollar Store!! Was also in Grundy last week.... They tore the whole town down to build a 2 story Walmart!!! That should attract crossdressers from all over the tri-state area!! Hehe

Next time I'll meet you at the South Charleston Ice rink on 119!! Bring your tutu and your ice skate!! :)

Love Karren

Dixie
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
I to live in a coal mining town, the first and only time I went out in public was for Halloween. I was sooo nervous but my wife helped me along and it was the most liberating experiance of my life!!!! I was surprised at what a positive response I got, although with all the guys buying me drinks I went home quite drunk but I had my S O looking out for me. It was so much fun that I am going out again in another town not far from where we live where we go often,but this time I am going to be all girl not just underneath!!:happy:

sterling12
04-04-2007, 03:18 PM
I've said this before, but I could feel a lot of your pain and loneliness, so I will reiterate what I have relayed to others.

Go on The National Tri-Ess Site and look into the sections on starting a new Chapter. National will give you all kinds of support and you need as few as 15members to achieve full chapter status. To start the process it takes one person, to have a group it takes two. I bet you would be amazed at the number of Sista's you will have in the area. And you all could start by meeting at people's houses and being discreet. That's how a lot of Chapters get going. National will act as a go between for other's in your area, who have made an inquiry referring them towards you, and that's how people start to network. Remember, if they contact you, you both have a secret and a gift to share.

For me, and just about every person I've met in a support group. Just the act of finally getting out and meeting others is liberating and so much fun. I think it often starts you down the road to acceptance, and that can't be a bad thing. Yes, sadly The Gals who actually get involved represent probably less that 1/1000th of 1%. Sure wish we would have more to join us.

Sometimes, I feel like one of these new Fundamentalist Christians, just want to get out and share the joy with others, it is so great! My suggestion, don't wait for someone else to do it. Take The Big Plunge and start the ball rolling, all by yourself. If I read you right, and have some empathy, I think that's what you want to do.

Peace and Love, Joanie

kristine239
04-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I know how you feel about being alone.

However, there are lots of conferences that you can attend. For starters go to www.transeventsusa.org. There you will find 2. Many members of this forum will be going to Be all in Chicago. A couple will be with me next week in Phila. and then there is Southern Comfort in Atlanta in September and a lot more. Your SO is also invited to all the events.

come on and join the crowd.

Paulacder
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I see you are from W.V., not to far from Ohio. If you can venture to cincinnati on the third thursday of the month, Cross Port has their monthly meeting. the meeting is held at a restraunt open to anyone. After the meeting some of the Gals go to the local watering holes. You can check out their web site [url]www.transgender.org/crossport/

kathy gg
04-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Hi marcie

i just had to reply to this. althogh I am not a cd, I was ocne in yoru shoes {sorta}. I used to live in texas and really wanted to be a part of the community and to find someone {as I was single} . I can tell you that I used to drive about 4 hours at least twice a month or more to go out to a town that had a tg bar. This is how important being around thsi scene was to me. Now of course I was in my mid-twenites and thankfully had friends I could crash with and who were accepting of my choices. But that was how I lived for two years. driving and driving and hoping to make friends. and eventually I did. And then I eventually met my future hubby {online and in canada!}. Talk about a commute then!

Anyway..I guess what I want to say is that: where there is a will there is a way. I know you are not *boo-hooing* the fact you have to drive, but more encouraing those who have resources close at hand to use them....I think as long as you keep making efforst, keep being a presence on this forum you will eventually find what you seek.

When I moved up here and married my hubby he had a few friends, but there was some jealousy {as none of them had acepting wives} and we eventually had to make new friends. Something that has been a slow and building process. But now I am so thankful ..we do have a really tight and wonderful circle of friends. These are people who know us and are part of our life, who know our daughter and we know their children. And it did not happen instantly, even though my hubby had been going out reguarly. These friendships took time to cultivate and now ..well to me my friends are closer than any family.
It will happen, jsut have pateince and fortitude and you will make it happen.