PDA

View Full Version : Just What Is 'transgender' Anyhow?

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey girls, I am confused as to what 'transgender' means.

Is this different from 'transexual'?

Does this reflect on sexual orientation?

What does being transgender entail?

How does one know if they are transgender or should consider themself transgendered?

I just know so little and I was wondering if I should call myself transgendered becasue I am an avid cross-dresser or not. Please help shed a little light on this for me; thank you all so much! This is a sensitive topic for me.

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 04:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvestite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossdresser

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 04:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transsexual
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvestite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossdresser

Thanks for the links. I'll have to read all the info when I have time. I was kinda hoping for some more personalized, opinionated, anecdotal answers though - not that I don't appreciate the info you gave me. I genuinely thank you for it. I was going to check out wikipedia anyhow. I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!

And to the rest of you girls out there...anything else I should know about what it means to be transgender?

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!
the boys call me the link-guy lol

im too tired to go into it, but wanted to contribute so that was next best thing with minimum effort involved lol

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
the boys call me the link-guy lol

im too tired to go into it, but wanted to contribute so that was next best thing with minimum effort involved lol

Well then, thanks link guy! Now I don't have to key in the wikipeda address and serch words everytime I wanna look up these definitions! wOOt! Work saved is work spent later, I say. Thanks Kieron!

Tamara Croft
04-04-2007, 04:23 PM
You know www.google.com is your best friend too ;) It's a mine of information.

There are a lot of meanings to the word 'transgender', but you'll find the majority refer to it as an umbrella term for everyone, MTF, FTM, TS etc...

Brianna Lovely
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
You know www.google.com is your best friend too ;) It's a mine of information.

There are a lot of meanings to the word 'transgender', but you'll find the majority refer to it as an umbrella term for everyone, MTF, FTM, TS etc...

Tamara is quite right, it is an umbrella term.

However, I sugest that you don't spend too much time trying to put a lable on yourself, but instead, spend your time learning about the person YOU are.

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Tamara is quite right, it is an umbrella term.

However, I sugest that you don't spend too much time trying to put a lable on yourself, but instead, spend your time learning about the person YOU are.
:yt: so true

bgirl
04-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Wikepedia is just like this forum. Peoples opinions. For me, transgender means something different that what it might mean for someone else. I have things and feelings that are typically associated with the opposite gender. Some things I do are gender non-conforming. I like the term transgender. When I was first able to say I was transgendered, that was when I began to accept that part of myself.

Julie York
04-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey girls, I am confused as to what 'transgender' means.

How does one know if they are transgender or should consider themself transgendered?

I just know so little and I was wondering if I should call myself transgendered becasue I am an avid cross-dresser or not. Please help shed a little light on this for me; thank you all so much! This is a sensitive topic for me.

You want to speak to a human being not a link.
I'll do my best.:D
Sexuality is about who you want to have sex with. It doesn't matter what 'sex'/gender you are born as. Your sexuality is about your prefered partner. Same sex partner = gay. Opposite sex = straight (as it were)

Gender is whether you are a boy or girl. "The gender of the child is..."female" etc

Therefore..."Trans"-gender, is a sliding scale between being a boy or girl....not physically but mentally depending on the chemical soup in your head. So if you have an urge to present yourself and express yourself as female now and then, you are sort of transgendered. It does get confused with a fetish but if there are elements of dressing that give you pleasure and don't fit a sexual element then it's the TG part.

A transexual is someone who was born one gender physically but mentally and chemically (brain soup) is female. They know they are female....God didn't.

Same goes for Female to Male. They were born female (gender) but they know they are a male because that's the brain they have..and that's what works everything else, so they're male and God messed up again.

Being an avid crossdresser is no indication of anything. It's what you get out of it that shows the underlying drive.

Initially.:D

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the advice Brianna, I really should do that. I guess I've been worrying a lot about labels lately because I really don't know what to call myself. I mean, I identify myself as a male but I have a lot of un-many qualities about me (like the desire to look pretty and feel like a princess!). I've also thought about joining a TG/TS cross-dresser group, but I don't know if I'd qualify. I guess I'm just really confused when it comes to my gender right now. I'm male but I don't always feel like it...oh well, such is the life of a blooming cross-dresser.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
A transexual is someone who was born one gender physically but mentally and chemically (brain soup) is female. They know they are female....God didn't.

Same goes for Female to Male. They were born female (gender) but they know they are a male because that's the brain they have..and that's what works everything else, so they're male and God messed up again.Initially.:D

I agree with you generally but I have to disagree with your comments about God. In my feeble religious understanding, I would say it's not that God messed up but a quirk of biology He allowed to exist.
It wasn't that He said 'well, let's make boys that think they're girls' or vice versa; it's probably more like he said 'I know that something like this could happen but I'll allow it anyhow.' I believe that God lets things happen for His reasons.
If you can forgive my religosity, I don't think God can mess up - but that's not relevent to this board.
Thanks for the advice all the same Julie. Like Voltaire (I believe) said (and I'm gonna mangle it, for sure): "I may not believe in what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Thanks again, Julie.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
When I was first able to say I was transgendered, that was when I began to accept that part of myself.

And I think that is what I am hoping to be able to do - to accept a part of myself that I have been denying since I was, like, 6. I want to know if I am transgendered - and when I think about it, I agree with your definition. I don't know if I'm ready to say I'm transgendered yet, but I think the shoe fits.

Regardless, I must remember though - I'm a male before anything else; regardless of how I feel and what I wear, I was born with male genitalia and I have a man's body (sometimes I would say 'unfortunately' about the later). In the end though, I would say I'm a 'transgendered male.' And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks a lot Bgirl!

Sejd
04-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Julie York is right I think.
Transgender is something originating in our brains. Clearly, it is not in the body, since we are born with Penises. Duh. But being a transexual really could be translated with a person coming to terms with their sexuality as one being different than what they were born into. I for example feel like I am a transexsual person because I have discovered that I have a sexuality which is tuypically female and a brain which thinks mostly female although I am in a mans body. In my case, I am fine with my body, but some people are really upset and feel that they need to change their sexual organs as well. In my oppinion, that does not make them more or less transexuals, that's just a choice that they make and that we have to respect and honor.
As Kinsey proved in his studies, we are all unique and special.
Hope that helps you somewhat.
hugs
Sejd

noname
04-05-2007, 03:42 AM
argh... labels. I haven't found a label that has fit me yet.

Victoria Anne
04-05-2007, 04:09 AM
I consider myself to be a "transgenderd crossdresser"I term it that way because I love to crossdress,no sexual aspect to it. Transgendered because of how I feel and think about so many things,In short I identify as a woman and feel as a woman though I am "male" by birth,if society wasn't so bigoted I would dress,present as a woman nearly full time if not full time. I hope this helps. Victoria Anne

Robin Leigh
04-05-2007, 05:10 AM
Hi Nat!

You may also want to check this recent thread: Definitions?? (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54462)

Robin

Marcie Sexton
04-05-2007, 05:25 AM
Kieron...you're the best...

Youmay want to look up the sites he has posted...been there and learned a lot....

Kate Simmons
04-05-2007, 06:26 AM
I used to think I was transgender but now I just consider who I am and what I do as being myself. Oh yeah, I still use the terms but mostly for convenience for reference purposes. As far as what "Society" considers me--:rolleyes: -- I could care less.;) :battingeyelashes:

jayseedee
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Trans-Gender, Trans is Latin for Over, Beyond or Across, Gender is defined by the equipment you were born with. However the term Tran gendered, as it should be spelt, could be used merely to imply an ambiguity in the gender, though this would only strictly be true for Intersexed people. The meaning therefore is like a lot of labels in Cross-dressing and is very much a matter of personal interpretation and also depends on whether you apply it to convention, behaviour, dress, emotion, motive or some inner sense. Consult 10 dictionaries and get 10 different answers. The one I like is:
"On the other side of (or opposite of) the behavioural, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one particular sex."

The one thing its generally not thought to be is your sexual orientation.

Seems you can choose your own meaning and decide if that’s you or not.
Good luck James

Holly
04-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I suppose we can get all knotted up over labels and the meaning of words. But why? Celebrate who you are. Natasha, If you're a genetic male who loves the feel and texture of softer materials, great! If the odor and feel of makeup on your face brings you satisfaction, enjoy it! If you enjoy the nurturing aspects of your life, then pursue them wothout shame. When you are all made up and dressed up and you see yourself in the mirror and feel peaceful, accept it! Sometimes the answer to the question, "Why?", is just, "Because."

janedoe311
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the links. I'll have to read all the info when I have time. I was kinda hoping for some more personalized, opinionated, anecdotal answers though - not that I don't appreciate the info you gave me. I genuinely thank you for it. I was going to check out wikipedia anyhow. I guess you beat me to the punch! Thanks Kieron!

And to the rest of you girls out there...anything else I should know about what it means to be transgender?

So the links are a start.

The definitions are changing. Ask 100 people and will probally get 100 answers for those definitions.

For some of us that feel were are in the wrong body but cannot do anything about it is hard to define. I do not even like gender confused but for me it says it.

I feel that a TG person is in the wrong body and a TS person is also but is going through the change. So my :2c: But that is not what most would see it. Most people (non TG) see TG and TS the same definition. It was but that is changing.

So throw a dart to get the definitions and in a year it will be different.:rolleyes:

Brianna Lovely
04-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the advice Brianna, I really should do that. I guess I've been worrying a lot about labels lately because I really don't know what to call myself. I mean, I identify myself as a male but I have a lot of un-many qualities about me (like the desire to look pretty and feel like a princess!). I've also thought about joining a TG/TS cross-dresser group, but I don't know if I'd qualify. I guess I'm just really confused when it comes to my gender right now. I'm male but I don't always feel like it...oh well, such is the life of a blooming cross-dresser.

You're just finding out about yourself, give it time.

But self acceptence is probably the most important thing. You may not understand yourself yet, but accept, what you feel and learn from these feelings.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-07-2007, 11:46 PM
argh... labels. I haven't found a label that has fit me yet.

I wish 'human being' was enough.

I've adopted a few other labels to describe me though: psychotic, insane, crazy, Catholic (completely unrelated to the previous 3...trust me! No, I'm serious though, I love the Church), gamer, artist, writer, dreamer...and of course (drum roll...) cross-dresser!

I don't mind having labels - they may not define me but the sure help describe me.

Sweet Susan
04-08-2007, 01:30 AM
transgender simply means that your gender is in question

AmberTG
04-08-2007, 01:58 AM
To me, transgender is a condition and transexual describes the results of the corrective actions, the HRT, the surgery.
Transgender is when a lot of your thought process would be more consistent with what's considered normal for the opposite sex.
Transsexual would describe a person who's done something major about changing their body to match their thought process. They've become the opposite sex.
That's how I see the meaning of those 2 words.

CindyFinalyFree
04-08-2007, 05:09 AM
And for those that don't know where they fall... Gender Dysphoria. :P LOL

But seriously.... I, myself, have been in the dysphoric state for most of my life. However, since I have confronted my feelings, and given serious thought to them, I am steadily becoming more aware and accepting of my true self.

You see, for some of us, it's not about feeling or looking like a woman. Rather it's the association of our feelings and mindset with the female gender. Try and stay with me here. Crossdressing is a form of expression, just like the expression of emotion, compasion, and affection. The problem is that modern society (ours, anyway) stereotypes what is 'socially' acceptable levels of expression for each sex, especially when it comes to apparel (while still being considered normal). In a sense, this stereotype could be considered the 'gender' of male or female.

In the last 50 years, the 'general' female role, and what is considered as acceptable in our society has steadily broadened (not just talking about expression now...). On the other hand, the male role, if anything, has become more stringeant. Straying from the modern 'standard' of stereotypical male behavior invariably results in some form of adverse reaction by the general populous. Women's styles change every season. When men collectively attempt to change style, and step just over the boundary, rather than accept it as the general male persona, our society comes up with a new 'category' for it... IE.. the 'Metrosexual'.. rather than let these new expressions fall under the 'general' male gender.

Some of us aren't satisfied with the rate that the society we live in is evolving (we're evolving, why can't everyone else?). So.... our attempt at a solution is to dress and act convincingly as females, with the assumption that if we 'pass', we would not be ridiculed or rejected by society in general. Many crossdressers long for the day when men can dress in pretty patterns and frilly apparel and freely express themselves, and not have to go that extra distance to try and 'pass' just so they don't get criticized for the way they look or act. Unfortunately, that day is at best, a couple centuries away (If the human race lasts that long without destroying itself or our planet).

Sorry... I got started. I'll just close with the above. It's late, and I was bored.

Katie Ashe
04-08-2007, 07:45 AM
You wish to change your physical sex, or wish to live as target sex
Reflect nothing, is strictly whom your attracted to and nothing more
General term like a name, but relates to changing sex not physically; Example a Tomboy or fem man but niether desire any surgeries
How does one know if they are transgender or should consider themself transgendered? The way I see it, if your not doing HRT or Surgeries, you fall into Transgender

These terms have several meanings and mean different things to different people, try to stick to the basic def... Transgender is kinda like to, too, two...

I hope this helps a little, I love Wiki too :love:

Casey Morgan
04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I wish 'human being' was enough.

I've adopted a few other labels to describe me though: psychotic, insane, crazy

And I used to add "feak" and "horribly broken". I'm transgendered in the original meaning of the word, which actually defines 2 or 3 groups of people. (Personally, the meaning of transgendered as used by the Transgendered community is a bit of a stretch, but as long as people don't take the word away from me I'm willing to share.) In my case I am between genders. After 20 or 25 years feeling like a mistake, "human being" was an excellent label to start with.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
transgender simply means that your gender is in question

Okay, that puts it pretty simply for me. But then, what is 'gender' in this case...I'm confuzzied...! I KNOW that I am a male, per se - I have the genitals to match. Yet, I emotionally, mentally, and personality-wise there are a lot of ways in which I am definitely not masculine.

I wouldn't say that they make me female, but they surely don't make me feel very manly.
I sometimes feel delicate, I am very sensitive (I cry watching movies, listening to music, and even reading books, for Pete's sake - though not all the time), I like cutesey things (like froggies and teddy bears!), and I especially love to dress up all pretty like in silky, frilly, lacy things - and all women's clothes in general.
Does that make me more female than male? I'd say no. Does that make me transgender? Maybe. Do I know for sure what I am? Not a chance. Does it really matter? Nope. But do I want to understand myself more? Heck yeah!

Thanks Susan! Thank you all, ladies!

jayseedee
04-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Okay, that puts it pretty simply for me. But then, what is 'gender' in this case...I'm confuzzied...! I KNOW that I am a male, per se - I have the genitals to match. Yet, I emotionally, mentally, and personality-wise there are a lot of ways in which I am definitely not masculine.

!

This would seem to depend on who's views you judge yourself by, the "norm" in Min. is not the norm in CA and Europe is a whole different ball game. I have met hairy Danish bikers that make me feel like a cheerleader and I think I am pretty macho.:D

Jay

Casey Morgan
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM

Gender is what's inside. Sure, your sex is male as evidenced by your genitalia. But the fact that "you have an X and Y chromosome" does not automatically mean that you are even in some part male gender-wise, despite what certain people think. (You know who you are, and that's enough of that nonsense, thank you.)

Pretend your body suddenly disappeared but your essence is still here. Overall, are you male, female, perhaps both or neither? That essence is your gender. If your inside doesn't match your outside (and "both", "other", and "neither" don't match "male") then that makes you transgendered in the narrower sense, and certainly transgendered in the larger (i.e. Community) sense.