PDA

View Full Version : NYC for Crossdresser

Yasmin Sandy
04-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone know about good CD Friendly stores in NYC ? I saw on the internet the Lee Mardi Gras and was wondering if there are other good ones that let us try dresses, skirts, wigs, these kinds of things...

I would also like to know about bars and clubs where I could find other Crossdressers...

Best,

Yasmin...

CandyDarling
04-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Lee's Mardi Gras Boutique closed years ago. I went looking for it and had a crazy crazy time. I wound up being forwarded to a bra manufacturing company that was full of illegal chinese women who were informed by the manager what I was looking for. 40 tiny women with sewing machines laughing hysterically at me. !! Then on to the actual home of the former owner of Lee's who was running an internet biz out of his small walkup apartment. Sold me some cheap pumps to get me out of there. Boxes to the ceiling all askew - clothes everywhere - cigarette smoke like a wall in the room. Yikes. So -- try Macy's !!

CandyDarling
04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Ooops - I wanted to tell you that the trannie scene in NYC is very aggressive and can be very scary and frankly unsafe. There is a big hispanic sex slave scene for pre-op girls and its big money for some hard people. Be very very careful. In fact go up to Triangles in Conneticut - Its only an hour and a friendly fun tg bar. Be safe. Ther is still a lot of violence as our community is really very small and still held widley in contempt.

Cheryl T
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Any Dress Barn is friendly. They have a corporate policy that is tolerant and everyone I have been into dressed or drab has been a great experience. You can try things on at any time without worry.
Lane Bryant is pretty good in this respect too.

Eugenie
04-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I did go out "en femme" for the first time as a X-dresser in Manhattan streets. It wasn't a long experience as I went to the meeting place by car: my lovely GG friend in NY took me there in her car.

I didn't feel bad in the Manhattan streets, even for a first time out.

The meeting I attended was organized by CDI-NY (http://cdidotorg.tripod.com/index.html/)
This is a private X-dresser club. They have regular meetings every Wednesdays evening and do welcome visitors, at least they did for me... The girls there have been wonderful and very friendly. I hope my travel will take me there again soon...

At the end of the diner, a group went to a bar in the Lower Manhattan, but I didn't go as the experience of a first meeting "en femme", had already drained my nerves...

If you contact CDI-NY, you may get the information you are looking for.

Shopping in Manhattan was very easy. Since you are a potential buyer, nobody will ask you anything... I bought several women clothes and a pair of shoes and got no comments what so ever. But there too, CDI-NY girls may give you good addresses for shopping in the Big Aple...
:hugs:

Eugenie

Kieron Andrew
04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone know about good CD Friendly stores in NYC ? I saw on the internet the Lee Mardi Gras and was wondering if there are other good ones that let us try dresses, skirts, wigs, these kinds of things...

I would also like to know about bars and clubs where I could find other Crossdressers...

Best,

Yasmin...

New York City Metro Area
CHI DELTA MU
P.O. Box 1, River Edge, NJ 07661-0001
E-mail Cynthia (cynthiamajors@aol.com)
(Please put CDM in subject line)
Phone 201-923-3645
Web Site (http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/7396/): http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/7396/

dunno if these can point you in the right direction

Yasmin Sandy
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Girls...

Thank you so much for all the help...

I am really happy with all the support and warm reception I have received.

I will make sure my stay in NYC will be as good as possible.

All the Best,

Yasmin

PS: I donĀ“t want to abuse, but still on the tips for shopping, I would love to know places where we could try clothes without having to go there in the male mode. And wigs as well.

jking90
04-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Check out:
8th st (from 6th avenue) east, on towards st marks place.
Broadway south of that area.
SOHO (west broadway, prince st, etc.)

The village and soho have the most open tolerance of any areas in the city. Given their locations and the clientele, I can't imagine the stores there NOT welcoming you.

(In some stores, it used to be you'd be more accepted in woman's jeans/shirt/makeup, obviously in drag, than as a male in jeans/shirt).

Dominique Melt
04-05-2007, 08:36 AM
There's a great place for CDs called Reminiscence located at 50 West 23rd Street between 6th and 5th Avenues. They have lots of vintage clothes and they are very CD friendly -- I know this from experience.
There is a bar/restaurant called East of 8th on West 23rd almost on the corner of 8th and 23rd. It is ostensibly a gay-friendly bar [has the rainbow flag] but it is patronized by everyone! I have met several very lovely CDers there, and have been planning my own excursion as Dominique there as soon as my semester in grad school is finished.

CaptLex
04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Can't help you with the shopping, but as for places to hang out: there's a bar in the Village called Nowhere on 14th Street b/w 1st and 2nd Avenues that my friends and I hang out on Wednesdays and there are usually CD's there. I've also seen CD's at some lesbian bars, like Rubyfruit, which is in the West Village. Basically, if you want to hang out somewhere dressed, the Village is the best, most accepting place to do it.

Stephenie S
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Sweetie, New Yorkers have seen it all! If you can't do it in NY, you can't do it. Use some common sense about where you go (if you wouldn't go there in drab, then don't go at all) and you can go anywhere you want. New Yorkers see CDers everyday. Just relax and have fun. You can't surprise a New Yorker.

Like I said, use some common sense. Use some propriety. Have fun. Shop, sightsee, eat, then shop some more, and don't forget to eat. Go to a show. Walk. Walk everywhere (don't forget comfortable shoes). New York is generally really very safe and welcoming to all. Have a good time! Oh, did I mention eating? And shopping.

princessmichelle
04-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Yasmin Sandy,

Frishman's lingerie store is about an hour from midtown NYC, but to me the long trip is worth it because they are VERY cd friendly. They even have a separate website just for cds: tgcdfrish.com. They have a massive selection of bras (they will happily measure you if you want), and they have a few blouses and dresses, along with other stuff. They are not too expensive.

princessmichelle

5inchHeels
04-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Check out the forums at: http://www.queenmother.tv/

The crowd is a bit more drag focused, but there's a lot of good information :D