PDA

View Full Version : A CD Sitcom

Valerie Nicole
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone, with today's open-minded world (ha ha) I was wondering if maybe a CD or Trans related sitcom would be a good thing. I mean, I'd be all for it as long as it didn't just perpetuate stereotypes and stuff. It could really do us a lot of good in terms of awareness...and if it was well-written I imagine it could be pretty funny.

What I have in mind is something reminiscent of Cheers...with either a gay/TG bar being the main setting, or possibly even a support group. I think the bar would be better for a sitcom, but if we wanted a drama it could be the support group. Anyone else think this idea could work?

CaptLex
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Anyone else think this idea could work?
Well, I'd certainly watch it. I think humor would be the way to go too. I know Will & Grace had a huge audience because it appealed to everyone and not just gay people, and I suspect it's the humor that did it. People came to see them as people first and relate to them that way. My friends are always coming across trans articles and reports and have become very interested in them since I came out, so a sitcom would be a great next step.

Valerie Nicole
04-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I've actually got some ideas, and I'm thinking of attempting to write it.

Jammie Lyann
04-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Think they tryed something like this , was call Bossum Buddies , with tom hanks , I understand that they dressed because of where there where living,
but was still comical

Valerie Nicole
04-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Bosom Buddies occurred to me, but its not really crossdressing in the sense that we did it, because they didn't do it out of a desire to dress. They did it to live a cheap apartment building that was only for girls or something like that. What I'm talking about is genuine crossdressers hanging out together in their favourite bar.

Kate Simmons
04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Sounds cool Hon. I could think of all kinds of situations and I'm sure we'd have a plethora of ideas from the folks here. I only ask that I have a "guest appearance" occassionally as an older CD who is kind of cynical (go figure!).:heehee: Sal

jo_ann
04-07-2007, 01:31 PM
there's always youtube.. just hafta get some friends willing to be low-rate actors and voila! you could have a sitcom started before you know it.

Joy Carter
04-07-2007, 01:44 PM
It's an idea for sure. Other than Bosom Buddies there were two others. One was a guy who took photos of himself in drag as a joke. But a model agency (thinking it was a GG) was struck by her appearance they had to sign her up. It wasn't on air very long. The other one I can't recall.
But hey, remember me when it comes time for casting. I'd love to be an extra.

michelleupnorth
04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Wasn't kids in the hall like that?

TerriM
04-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi
Remember the fella who played Drew Carey's brother in the " The Drew Carey Show" He was the only person that I can remember who actually portrayed a actual crossdresser. I mean a person who admitted that they were dressing because the wanted to.
Did you see the last episode of "The Office" The main character wore a women's business suit (pants) by mistake. I found it very funny.

Yours Terri

Debby Cooper
04-07-2007, 04:00 PM
An absolutely brilliant idea

Jodi Lynn
04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi
Remember the fella who played Drew Carey's brother in the " The Drew Carey Show" He was the only person that I can remember who actually portrayed a actual crossdresser. I mean a person who admitted that they were dressing because the wanted to.
Did you see the last episode of "The Office" The main character wore a women's business suit (pants) by mistake. I found it very funny.

Yours Terri

I had forgotten about the brother on the Drew Carey Show. But that only lasted for a short time, until he got married to Mimny, then I think they droped that part of his life.

Julogden
04-07-2007, 04:32 PM
It's an idea for sure. Other than Bosom Buddies there were two others. One was a guy who took photos of himself in drag as a joke. But a model agency (thinking it was a GG) was struck by her appearance they had to sign her up. It wasn't on air very long. The other one I can't recall.
But hey, remember me when it comes time for casting. I'd love to be an extra.
I think you're referring to "The Ugliest Girl in Town", late 1960's, didn't last long at all.

We're both getting old if we can remember that one.:happy:

Carol:hugs:

Sam-antha
04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Get writing girls.... here is a blank space... all you need to do is to give the thing a title, choose the forum (if you choose wrong the mods will sort it) and start a sort of co-op writing fest.
There was one in the past, not so ambitious, "Egoiste c'est moi".
Something like this perhaps, in presentation, with more words ?

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55445
Get going somebody, with or without pics.
I promise to "help" (?)
~Samm

jennifer easton
04-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Whoa Salandra! you've been reading the dictionary agin, that was a great $2.00 word!

Casey Morgan
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I was thinking of The Drew Carey Show too. But whether you set it in a bar or some other setting, you'd have to have at least one non-CD main character to show the "just folks" side.

Whoa Salandra! you've been reading the dictionary agin, that was a great $2.00 word!

Nah, it's just that plethora isn't used too much in a lot of forums. Remember this bit from The Three Amigos?

Jefe: We have many beautiful pinatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many pinatas?
Jefe: Many pinatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

Valerie Nicole
04-07-2007, 07:57 PM
The idea I have in mind has three MTF CDers, one MTF trans (as in operation), then a non-CD male and a non-CD female. Those are the main characters. Does this sound good to everyone?

CaptLex
04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
The idea I have in mind has three MTF CDers, one MTF trans (as in operation), then a non-CD male and a non-CD female. Those are the main characters. Does this sound good to everyone?
Does that mean I can't be in it? How about as a guest star? :D :star:

Valerie Nicole
04-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Maybe...I have been thinking about writing in an FTM character, but having one there from the start might seem a little forced. I have been thinking seriously about it though, so don't worry. An FTM will become part of it at some point.

Mariah
04-07-2007, 08:30 PM
look to anime for all your cd tv needs a great one is "I My Me! Strawberry Egg"
*^_^*

hopes to you all!
keris

CaptLex
04-07-2007, 08:31 PM
An FTM will become part of it at some point.
:kiss:

Barb Valentine
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
There are all sorts of ideas out there
But I do think Youtube is a great starting platform
You could start with a small 4 or 5 minutes skits
And see where that goes
But I watch it

Sally2005
04-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Here's my idea. Show called "trading faces". Reality show where you take a male and help him become the perfect woman. The format might be a cross between 'what not to wear' and extrm makeover. I think it could be made fun. The only concern I have with shows like this is that the people doing this activity are so varied that people watching the show can be led to believe certain things. To make the activity acceptable to the main stream, there could be a couple characters one doing it on a dare, the other as an out crossdresser, maybe one with a couple who do it for fun and maybe one full time. Also, shying away from the stereo types to more average people.

Eugenie
04-09-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't know if it qualifies as a "sitcom" but the series entitled "Tales of the City" by Olympia Dukakis, Donald Moffat, Chloe Webb, and Laura Linney, included a one of the main characters a transsexual person, portayed in a very positive way. The story is based upon a novel by Armistead Maupin. It takes place in the city of San Francisco at the top of the Gay life expression...

More generally speaking, a sitcom on the subject would be a positive move.

I note that in some TV series, there are more and more transgendered characters who are given a favourable image, not the usual caricature that was given a few years ago.
:hugs:
Eugénie

noname
04-09-2007, 04:03 AM
There is a show right now, and it's actually pretty popular, and you may know of it. It's called ugly betty.

MsJanessa
04-09-2007, 06:57 AM
there was a sitcom in the 90s about a newscaster who had to dress to get a job as a weather girl or something like that---she/he actually looked really hot dressed----It only lasted a few episodes----also there was a reality show a year or two ago involving men in a drag beauty contest---prize was 250,000 dollars but only did one run---have to face it---Our lifestyle probably doesn't have mass appeal to the TV audience----but then remember the Networks cater to those with the lowest IQs

Gurly
04-09-2007, 08:56 AM
I think you're referring to "The Ugliest Girl in Town", late 1960's, didn't last long at all.

We're both getting old if we can remember that one.:happy:

Carol:hugs:

Ouch! I remember that show. To show you what a pathetic tv geek that I was/am, I also remember the actor's name that was in it..........Peter Kastner.

Toni Shelton
04-09-2007, 09:01 AM
The soap "All my Children" has a Beautiful Transgender woman on it now. Her name is Zoe. I love the show, now.