PDA

View Full Version : The Cultural Divide

Emma_Forbes
04-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi All,

We are led to believe that there is a cultural(?) divide between these two great neighbours separated by the 'Pond' (the Atlantic) i.e., the UK and the US (with sincerest apologies to those outside those domains).

I was wondering if that divide specifically affects the crossdressing community. For example, I would imagine that dressing in say, New York, is probably acceptable, in LA is probably encouraged and in Tennessee probably dangerous - please excuse my ignorance here if I have assumed incorrectly!

In the UK there are certain cities which probably have seen more than their fair share of society minorities and are subsequently more accepting, for example Manchester and Brighton. I suspect there are also parts where crossdressing would be less accepted, perhaps rural communities.

I am interested to know whether it is therefore easier to be or come out as a crossdresser in a more liberal environment and whether it means as much. After all a daffodil in a field of pasture is more noticeable than a daffodil in a field of daffodils.

Do you also think that the way that respective societies see women makes it easier or harder to pass? As a larger lass, which I think probably makes it easier to pass anyway, I am going to be able to pass much better walking through a country park perhaps than sitting on a beach catching some sun. Is that perhaps why rednecked/rural societies with a male dominated economy are generally less accepting?

I hope you get the drift of my post and I would be interested in any views, either by way of clarification or explanation.

Em

CaptLex
04-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I am interested to know whether it is therefore easier to be or come out as a crossdresser in a more liberal environment and whether it means as much. After all a daffodil in a field of pasture is more noticeable than a daffodil in a field of daffodils.
Well, as a daffodil in a field of daffodils, it's a great comfort to be in a place where I can be myself with very little negative reaction. Easier, definitely, but yes it does mean as much to me - I'm grateful for my environment and never take it for granted. :happy:

Kate Simmons
04-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Sometimes even in an acceptable climate and culture, it's hard to be yourself and an individual and you have to fight and claw every inch on your way to freedom. Being a TG person and an individual is that much harder. You have to believe in yourself and your principles and show your resolve no matter what. Only then will you gain not only self respect but respect from others as well. Society is tough on even those trying to fulfill "normal" male and female roles, so we can never find it easy, no matter where we may live, Em. It is a sense of accomplishment when you reach that goal, however and I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for those who do.:happy: