PDA

View Full Version : Passing as a learned skill

Rikkicn
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm beginning to think that appearing more feminine and passing is very much a learned skill. I know there are those that are very tall, or have heavy beards and that for many it is a dream that may never come true. But, don't be so sure.

I read over and over postings that say I could never pass. I'm sure for some of that's true. I said that myself. "How can I ever pass?" I would ask in the morning when I saw myself. "No way, not now, not ever."
The desire to dress and be out in the world as woman was stronger than the idea that I couldn't pass, so I started going out to see how I would do.
I've had my ups and downs, exciting moments and and some humiliating ones too. It was hard sometimes, especially after some difficult experience, like a rude SA. I kept going out to more and more places and kept changing and evolving. I know there is more to go but for now, I'm pretty proud of myself for learning the skill of passing.
I'm now passing, visually, 100%. Progress seems to come from many of the little things that take along time to figure out.

Here's my list of the things I found made a difference to my passing.

Finding the right clothing styles and colors in the right sizes:
I've gone from androgynous, to frumpy, mature and now settling in with clothing that fits closer to my body, lower necklines, more lace. There is no mistaking that my clothing is female.
Hair:
Getting the right hair style, color has taken a long, long time. There is so much to learn about taking care of women's length hair, and very few ways to learn. I'm learning by observing and trying.
Eyeglasses: This was a big one. I have worn women wire/metal combination frames for a long time. the were femme but barely. About 6 months ago I bought a red pair and what a difference it has made.
Jewelry: Similar to all the above, having a "wardrobe" of daytime jewelry was important. Having your ear ring in the right size, color etc. make a difference too. I have been read even less since I began to wear more dangling ear rings...more femme...more passing.
Make up and nail polishes:
Too much, not enough, too red, too pink. You just gotta try and find what looks best on you. How will you know what looks best? for me, it was when I began to get compliments on how I looked. People would say " you look terrific, tonight". Nothing specific, but that i looked good...so do more of what you are doing when you feel good about yourself and when you are passing and getting compliments.
As an example, My hair has been very, very long for 4 years. I wear it a number of ways and loved it. I recently cut it cut to shoulder length with a new style and the compliments started. It seems the more femme I'm willing to look the better I do

There is no formula for most of this. It takes time, patience, testing, trying, experimenting.
As I look back at the clothing I've bought last 5 years I can see distinct "looks" I have tried. It takes time for the blossom to unfold into a beautiful flower.

THIS IS ONE OF THE REASON THAT WHEN WE COME OUT WE GO CRAZY AND BUY SO MUCH STUFF

After years of feeling and being in the wrong clothes, clothes that don't express who we are, we're ready and anxious to find out what we look best in and what makes us feel the best about ourselves.
That's how most women do it..We just have a late start and time to make up
Love you all

Emma_Forbes
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Thank you Rikki,

I find you an inspiration, not just now, but for views expressed in the past as well. If I could do half as well as you I would be well satisfied. Just gotta keep going and maybe I'll get there one day.

And such great advice in this post too.

Thanks again

Em

paulaN
04-09-2007, 12:55 PM
You are so right. Practice, Practice, Practice. Confidence goes a long was too along with a smile. The last time I was out and got a complement on my skirt suit. I about died and went to heaven. Talk about a confidence booster.

JoAnnDallas
04-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Last year at HEF2006, I went in the ladies room, did my business and was standing at the mirror touching up my makeup. A GG came up beside me and started checking her makeup and commented me on my heels. I don't know if she was just a guest or one of the SO's, but it sure did make me feel great. First having a male guest say "Morning Mam" and holding the door for me then getting compliments on my heels, really does boost your confidence.

jessie_cal
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
My wife wants to go out, but I don't think that'll I'll pass. I need a lot of learning before I'm ready. But I will try to find more feminine eyeglasses. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Glenda58
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Jessie if your wants you to go out then go out I don't think she would suggest it if she didn't think you could pass. All you have to fear is fear it self. And if that's you in your pic you look great.

Joy Carter
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Rikki, you always have such wise advice. We are so lucky to have you here.

My wife wants to go out, but I don't think that'll I'll pass. I need a lot of learning before I'm ready. But I will try to find more feminine eyeglasses. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Jessie, I bought mine on line. If you have an up to date script, you can order some nice one's for about a hundred dollars or less. Just Google "prescription glasses on line".

Rikkicn
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Thank you Rikki,

I find you an inspiration, not just now, but for views expressed in the past as well. If I could do half as well as you I would be well satisfied. Just gotta keep going and maybe I'll get there one day.

And such great advice in this post too.

Thanks again

Em
Your exactly right. Just keep going and trying and learning. You'll find you'll come deeper and deeper into your femme self, your whole self

Hon, go out anyway! If your wife wants to go out then be all means face your fears and find out what happens. Easier said than done but give it a try anyway.
Tell your wife of your fears and ask her if you can lean on her that night.
Please, please my sweet, give it try.

Rikki, you always have such wise advice. We are so lucky to have you here.
I'm so lucky to have all of you! I've been on this path a long time now and have always thought of my self as a crossdresser and now a full time crossdresser.
I just love who we are and what's possible in our lives.

Shelly R
04-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Riikki, You are so right! Trial and error is the only way. GG's have had a lifetime to try everything, and keep what looks good, We on the other hand have to play catch up, the learning curve is steep, good advice!

This one is to Jessie, Go out with your wife, she knows what will pass and what won't. She thinks you will do well, and like this, or she would not have suggested this. The hardest part is getting out that door the first few times. With your picture I do not think you will have a hard time "passing". Once and a while things don't turn out well, but not often. Get out and have some fun! She will be right there.

sterling12
04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Rikki you are so right. Anyone who has ever watched a young pre-teen experiment with cosmetics and "big girl clothes", can attest that it's a learned behavior. Nobody starts out getting it even close to perfect.

One of the axioms always expressed by a lot of CD's, "when your out in The Mall, steer clear of teenage girl's." I think it's obvious why they often read us, cause' they are checking out ALL females to get ideas on how to improve their own female persona. If your really paying attention to other gals, how they move, how they dress, how they put on their face, then you will quickly pick out someone who "doesn't measure up." Simply put, they are working hard to get better at being female, so they notice a lot more.

I have a couple of friends who really work at perfecting their image. One of these gals, who is 99% successful when she goes out, started to really work at perfecting things after she got "read" by a bunch of teenagers and chased through a mall. Debbie says she swore when she got home, "that's not going to happen to me again," and started investigating every way she could find to improve. Debbie also swears that anyone can pass, if you work at blending and being feminine. She feels, "There are plenty of women who don't look like models, some of them heavy, unattractive, too big, too small, whatever." "People don't question them, so it's not about looking like a model."

Learned behavior? Sure it is! I think each of us should be trying to learn something new about our wonderful gift everyday. The "passing" will be the easy part.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Karen Francis
04-10-2007, 12:23 AM
and that is the key to the passing deal. Observe the "target". Pick out gg's that blend in, do what they do. Age appropriate is one major item. If you are 50 years old, don't be out in ill fitting juniors fashions.
If you get 3 or 4 out of the five criteria met, you will do OK. The five big ones? Hair Face Clothes Comportment Voice.
Rikkicn is right, keep trying, no one is born with this or any other skill.