PDA

View Full Version : I Need CDing Advice (where to start)

Charlotte23
04-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Ive only just recencently joined, and deciding where to starting CDing. I have chosen to give it a go. Any advice on first time clothes, make-up or accessries ? Come on girlies, help me out :hugs: and help give me that sexy fem look :p

Valerie Nicole
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Though I've been CDing for a long time (and mentally CDing for a much longer time), I can tell you where it starts with me every time, and what causes the urge. I see people in the clothes, and I think to myself, "I'd like to wear something like that." So when you're out and about, or even watching TV, take some time to notice what people are wearing, and develop your tastes from that. That's how I decided what I'd like to wear or not wear. Start observing people and thinking like that, and you'll know what you want to wear in no time.

As for makeup...I am not the girl to ask...I'll let somebody else handle that.

Karren H
04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Well it took me a couple years to get where I thought I needed to be... Practicing and watching and learning... And you think that in one post someone is going to give you all the secrets it takes to make you look like a women? Hehe. What a dreamer you are babe!!

Good, cheap, fast... Pick two... If you want fast.... Find a makeover service... Good but not cheap... But you will probably not learn what you need to know to recreat the look... If you want cheapish.. Start learning and reading and practicing.....

My advice... Find a nearby cd friend... Buy some makeup books.. "Crossdress for Success" and "The Lazy Crossdresser" are good resources.. Get a makeover at the mall.. Start building your wardrobe and get out your VISA card because no one ever said crossdressing was an easy sport or a cheap one...

Good luck...

Karren

Charlotte23
04-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Being my first crossdressing expieriance i have no knowledge of any near by CD. what do i do then ? i havent found the confidance to talk to anyone about it except on here. ?

Sharon
04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Being my first crossdressing expieriance i have no knowledge of any near by CD. what do i do then ? i havent found the confidance to talk to anyone about it except on here. ?

Read the posts in the Beauty and Clothing sections for suggestions of what to use and wear and where to buy them. You can also look at the many threads in the Picture Gallery to see how other members look and what they like to wear.

Just relax and take your time -- the best way to learn anything is to just dive in and experiment. And don't be afraid of making mistakes -- it's all part of the learning process. .:happy:

Lisa Golightly
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Your first post almost reads as though you've never dressed before... I guess all any of us can really say is how we started... I had an idea of what look I wanted so I bought clothes in that style from the high street and a cheap complete makeup set... then it was just trial and error... It's a labour of love.

Emily Ann Brown
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I good place to start friend wise might be to mention where in general you live or maybe a post in the meeting place section.

Emily Ann

sandra-leigh
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
deciding where to starting CDing. I have chosen to give it a go. Any advice on first time clothes

Many people go for panties as their first purchase. The first order of business will be to figure out what size you need, and the second will be to find some cuts that work for you; once you have those aspects down, you can worry about getting "pretty" or "girly" or "nice feeling" panties. TO get started on panties, you can go to your local discount clothing store or lower-end department store and grab a selection of styles and sizes and see what works for you. As a sizing hint: a 36" waist for jeans corresponds to a medium or "size 5" in panties that stretch.

Panties have the advantage that unless you are wearing pants that are fairly tight fitting, or which are very thin, no-one will see you wearing them. Unless, that is, you wear your pants "plumbers style" (i.e., your tush shows when you crouch.) You can wear panties most places and get accustomed to the idea of wearing womens clothing, without publically committing yourself.

If you want to go further in "stealth mode" (wearing womens clothing that no-one realizes is womens) then there are quite a few plain tops available that no-one will notice, provided you chose moderate colours. Take whatever size category you wear in mens T-shirts, and you probably wear that same size category in womens casual tops. If you've started to put on a few pounds in the tummy, you might encounter problems finding tops that are long enough.

We can only give you rough guidelines on the right size to buy, because womens clothes do not have consistant sizing. There are some tops for which a "medium" is fine for me, and there are others that I need a "large" for, and some I need "extra large", and the occasional piece right up to "2X". For me typically if a medium does not basically fit, the top will grab too much on the upper arms and the armholes won't sit right for those. But it isn't uncommon that the reason I have to go into a large or extra large is to get the extra length. And it isn't uncommon for large to be only about 1/4" longer than medium (that is, not longer enough to make much difference); XL is commonly measurably longer (but not necessarily greatly so.)

If you want to start getting into "definitely feminine" tops, or dresses, it gets harder for us to give you advice, because a lot of it comes down to taste. A word of caution though: it is best to stay "age appropriate" in your choices -- e.g., women in their 40's don't often wear miniskirts, so if you are in your 40's and you wear a miniskirt, you would stand out and be noticed. (I know one crossdresser who pulls it off no problem, but s/he is much more experienced than I!) Similarily, "matronly" clothes look wrong on the young. Be careful not to underdress too -- if wear dull grey, you will be more noticed than if you wore something less drab. You want to wear something that a woman your age might wear.

Skirts: For going around town, it's hard to go wrong with a long denim skirt that isn't too ornate. It might not be as sexy as you were imagining, but wearing one, you will "blend" into a wide variety of situations. A couple of days ago, I wore a plain long denim skirt out to run some errands and had no problems (or comments) at all, even though I was in "guy mode" (not even pretending to be female): it was a common enough style that it wasn't worth anyone's attention even worn by a guy. If I had been wearing a "slit right up to here" dressier skirt, people would have noticed more. That extra notice would been partly contextual: women don't often wear slit-up-to-there skirts to do grocery shopping or to ride the bus.

Always keep in mind that there are at least three classes of womens clothes: casual clothes, office clothes, and "going out" clothes. Some people would possibly break "going out clothes" up further: women commonly wear more elegant clothes to go out to dinner or a play or formal concert, whilst wearing "sexier" clothes to clubs. You need to keep in mind the occasion when selecting your clothes. Still, although "casual" clothes these days are often jeans and an unornamented top, it is still considered acceptable to wear skirts and dresses (e.g., "sundresses") as "daywear", to wear clothes that are attractive and gently feminine without being too sexy or formal for the occasion.

Dixie
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I started out wearing panties, then panties and bras, then evrything I could get my hands on:heehee:

noname
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Where to start? Just buy some girl jeans. You can wear them as a guy and you'll know what size you are. For anything else, just be selective and aim for a nice finished complete look.

Tammietoo
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Ive only just recencently joined, and deciding where to starting CDing. I have chosen to give it a go. Any advice on first time clothes, make-up or accessries ? Come on girlies, help me out :hugs: and help give me that sexy fem look :p

Your first post almost reads as though you've never dressed before... I guess all any of us can really say is how we started...

Indeed, I guess we all started somewhere. For most of us, there was an inner need, desire/complusion to dress...but your post doesn't give us much to go on. How old are you, what are your tastes? Are you trying to pass? Are you an inside girl? Is it just for fun, or some other need? Sounds like you aren't trying to be conservative if you are looking for a sexy look, but there are all kinds of sexy :D Generally it takes considerable time, money and effort to get just one complete outfit together, bra, panties, nylons, possibly a corset, slips, dresses, shoes or boots, wig, make up, jewelry...and on and on. It's all what appeals to you. If you on a budget, ebay, and thrift stores can be a place to start for clothes. (I'm still amazed at the amount of money my CDing has consumed) For me, make up was mostly trial and error, although Karen is right a good makeover/transformation can be very helpful.

vbcdgrl
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Whoa!!!!!, Charlotte. That's a pretty big order. I guess we'd have to know a lot more about you, first. How do you envision yourself as a girl? Do you want to go out en femme? Is your personal situation conducive to CDing?
I suggest you read a lot of the previous threads to get a flavor of some of the issues CDing raises.

Vikki

Kathleen Ann Trees
04-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Just where do you start a book like War & Peace?

Here are my top 10 suggestions:

1. Check the internet or your local yellow pages for a wig store you want to go to. May be local or you may feel more comfortable an hour or so away, depending on who you want to find out. Tell them you are a crossdresser and would like to schedule a time when you could come in for a private appointment. Trust me, you will not be their first client. They can help guide you to a good wig that is appropriate for your age, face shape, and look. Expect to pay $150 to $200. This will give you an unbelieveable sense of accomplishment and confidence.

2. Do the same thing for breast forms. If you are lucky, the wig shop will have the breast forms and you'll quicky be batting 2 for 2. 1.000! You will be so glad to have the next best thing! Don't be afraid. These people are in business for us. They will help you and support you.

3. Buy some make up. As mouthy as I am on points 1 and 2 above, I've never had the courage to get a make over or see a professional (Department store, Mary Kay, etc.) But I've watched and read and studied the commercials, the web sites, and magazines. Get a neutral base and powder, some brown and black eye liner and mascara, some browns or taupe eye shadow and a half dozen different lip sticks. Finally a blush with a few light hues of pink will cover the beginning. I get mine at Meijer's in the midwest because I can go in with a basket and go to the self check out. But even a confident trip into Target is a one time blast so you don't have to worry about it for a while.

4. Make a trip into your local Payless Shoe Source, if you are mens size 10 or lower. As a quick rule of thumb, add a couple shoe sizes. I'm a men's 9-1/2 or 10 and take a womens 11Wide or 12. Payless is a great place. If you want, step into one of their foot measurers to be sure. Now comes the hardest part. Only buying 4 pairs of shoes. (They usually have a buy one get one half off sale.) See item 5 below for where to start, but good luck here. I'm a shoe girl and can't get enough.

5. I suggest a casual age appropriate look to start. Some jeans or slacks with a girly top will really whet your appetite and allow you to be comfortable out and about at this point. Once you go in to a women's shop you'll find 90% of the time you will come out alive. Just go for it. And while you're there buying girl stuff, may as well have them help you with a bra! (By the way, the breast form store will want to help you there too.)

6. Now for some jewelry. Try Claires or Icing at any mall. Just go in and find a necklace, bracelets, rings, and earrings. They have clip ons if you need them. By now, you've got enough confidence, you don't care what they think.

7. Time for the purse. A must have at this point. Check out what the women your age are using. Believe me, they are carrying $200 purses, but you don't have to. Just check out the size and colors that are typical. For this you can go back to Target, Meijer, Walmart, Payless, or anywhere. A black and a brown will go with most of your outfits for a while. You have to have one to go out.

8. Time for your first outting. Do the easy and typical thing. Get dressed one evening and head out to the gas station and fill 'er up!

9. Shop, shop, shop. Time to try the more girly things. You decide where you want to go and what you want to wear.

10. Step out. Find a friend. Find a bar. Today is just the first day of the rest of your tomorrow's. Hope they're fun. And be careful out there!

Kathleen.

sandra-leigh
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
4. Make a trip into your local Payless Shoe Source, if you are mens size 10 or lower. As a quick rule of thumb, add a couple shoe sizes. I'm a men's 9-1/2 or 10 and take a womens 11Wide or 12.

My measurement is 10 1/2 mens, but it is quite uncommon to find a 10 1/2 mens that actually fits me (angle of my toes), so I usually end up in expensive mens 11 or 11 1/2 shoes. But a small number of the Payless 11W fit me, and some of their 12W fit me. If I want an inexpensive shoe that fits, I'm more likely to find one in Payless womens section than I am in the mens section anywhere else.

Thus, some of Payless' womens section will fit mens 10 1/2, and possibly mens 11. Maybe not in a design you really really like, but one that's "not so bad".

Rikkicn
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM
I would say follow your desires. Do you want to go out? where? do what? with whom?
Do you want to see what you look like as a woman?

What do you absolutely want the most? What are your fantasies? What would be the most fun?

Figure that out and then it will be easier to help

Shelly R
04-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Well it took me a couple years to get where I thought I needed to be... Practicing and watching and learning... And you think that in one post someone is going to give you all the secrets it takes to make you look like a women? Hehe. What a dreamer you are babe!!

Good luck...

Karren

This takes time, take a look at some of the recent threads on "passing", clothing and makeup. There is no instant (add water and poof!), this is an investment in time and money. You can also try the fashion mags, though if you are just learning try the teen mags. A lot of trial and error is going to happen it's part of the learning curve. Hang in there you will succeed

az_azeel
04-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Whoa!!!!!, Charlotte. That's a pretty big order. I guess we'd have to know a lot more about you, first. How do you envision yourself as a girl? Do you want to go out en femme? Is your personal situation conducive to CDing?
I suggest you read a lot of the previous threads to get a flavor of some of the issues CDing raises.

Vikki

I agree with vikki here
Charlotte what suddenly made you decide you were a c/der...I have been c/ding all my life.. .. and to me its not something that just sneaks up on you..
give us all a bit more info and I am sure we can all help...

Take care

Az

Jill
04-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I would also like to know more about you. How old you are, and why you decided to start doing this?

Nyana
04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Just where do you start a book like War & Peace?

Here are my top 10 suggestions:

1. Check the internet or your local yellow pages for a wig store you want to go to. May be local or you may feel more comfortable an hour or so away, depending on who you want to find out. Tell them you are a crossdresser and would like to schedule a time when you could come in for a private appointment. Trust me, you will not be their first client. They can help guide you to a good wig that is appropriate for your age, face shape, and look. Expect to pay $150 to $200. This will give you an unbelieveable sense of accomplishment and confidence.

2. Do the same thing for breast forms. If you are lucky, the wig shop will have the breast forms and you'll quicky be batting 2 for 2. 1.000! You will be so glad to have the next best thing! Don't be afraid. These people are in business for us. They will help you and support you.

3. Buy some make up. As mouthy as I am on points 1 and 2 above, I've never had the courage to get a make over or see a professional (Department store, Mary Kay, etc.) But I've watched and read and studied the commercials, the web sites, and magazines. Get a neutral base and powder, some brown and black eye liner and mascara, some browns or taupe eye shadow and a half dozen different lip sticks. Finally a blush with a few light hues of pink will cover the beginning. I get mine at Meijer's in the midwest because I can go in with a basket and go to the self check out. But even a confident trip into Target is a one time blast so you don't have to worry about it for a while.

4. Make a trip into your local Payless Shoe Source, if you are mens size 10 or lower. As a quick rule of thumb, add a couple shoe sizes. I'm a men's 9-1/2 or 10 and take a womens 11Wide or 12. Payless is a great place. If you want, step into one of their foot measurers to be sure. Now comes the hardest part. Only buying 4 pairs of shoes. (They usually have a buy one get one half off sale.) See item 5 below for where to start, but good luck here. I'm a shoe girl and can't get enough.

5. I suggest a casual age appropriate look to start. Some jeans or slacks with a girly top will really whet your appetite and allow you to be comfortable out and about at this point. Once you go in to a women's shop you'll find 90% of the time you will come out alive. Just go for it. And while you're there buying girl stuff, may as well have them help you with a bra! (By the way, the breast form store will want to help you there too.)

6. Now for some jewelry. Try Claires or Icing at any mall. Just go in and find a necklace, bracelets, rings, and earrings. They have clip ons if you need them. By now, you've got enough confidence, you don't care what they think.

7. Time for the purse. A must have at this point. Check out what the women your age are using. Believe me, they are carrying $200 purses, but you don't have to. Just check out the size and colors that are typical. For this you can go back to Target, Meijer, Walmart, Payless, or anywhere. A black and a brown will go with most of your outfits for a while. You have to have one to go out.

8. Time for your first outting. Do the easy and typical thing. Get dressed one evening and head out to the gas station and fill 'er up!

9. Shop, shop, shop. Time to try the more girly things. You decide where you want to go and what you want to wear.

10. Step out. Find a friend. Find a bar. Today is just the first day of the rest of your tomorrow's. Hope they're fun. And be careful out there!

Kathleen.

Thnaks you, very nice post..
One question, right now im using the "I need a gift for my g/f" when i buy cloth, but what about shoes? Any trick?