PDA

View Full Version : Help with CD support group?

Talon DeRojo
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I have been seeing a therapist for a few months concerning issues other than CDing. Recently, I felt comfortable enough with him to mention the CDing. He was pleased that I was self-accepting on that score (while I am not on others).
At our next meeting, he asked if I would serve as a resource person to work with him in a CD support group that he is forming. I'm inclined to go forward with it, but I'd like to get your input. What do you think?
Talon:happy:

tbriannag
04-09-2007, 09:52 PM
id say its worth a shot

Glenda58
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
What does he want you to do? Find CDs for him and what is he trying to do help us with CDing and feel good about it or try to get us to stop because it's not right to dress up in womens cloths. Before you can help you have to ask these questions.

Talon DeRojo
04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Glenda - He's not asking me to find CDs for the group. He is supportive and wants to help those who feel guilt, shame, etc. My role will be to offer the perspective of a CD who is comfortable with being one. He's not going to tell anyone to stop because it's "wrong".

Bobbi Lynn
04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Any Tri-Ess chapters in your area?

Leslie Foxx
04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Yes, by all means, as long as you are comfortable doing it. Others who are still questioning can benefit greatly from your self acceptance.

Talon DeRojo
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Bobbi Lynn - The nearest Tri-Ess chapter is more than an hour's drive away.

Leslie - Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your suggestion that my self-acceptance might help others.

Paulacder
04-10-2007, 06:52 AM
If he's trying to help C.D.ers on a non-pay basis then I would say go for it. But if he is trying to faten his Patient data base, forget it.:2c:

Kate Simmons
04-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Sounds good Talon. I actually made this offer myself to a therapist I was seeing a few years back. She said she was interested but my consultation with her was only temporary and I have since left the group, so I don't know if she ever followed up on it or not. Any way to help others to understand themselves better is positive in my opinion.:happy:

Casey Morgan
04-10-2007, 08:40 AM
A therapist-led group can be a great thing. In my transgender support group we talk about some things that are deeply personal, things we wouldn't feel comfortable sharing outside of that type of group. I would say go for it. I know you're joining as the "comfortable with myself" CD but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting more out of that group than you may be thinking. Sometimes you share things you didn't realize you needed to share.

Di
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
No harm no foul...check it out...if it isn't your cup of tea then bow out. Could be helpful to you as well.

Talon DeRojo
04-11-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm getting some good feedback here, which I appreciate.

Salandra - Thanks for the supportive comments. If my experiences can help anyone, I'm glad to share.

Casey - You make a good point. I hadn't thought at all about how I might benefit from the group.

Di GG - I think that I will check this out. Thanks also for suggesting (as did Casey above) that I, too, might find the group helpful.

I really appreciate being a member of this group. Thank you all.

JenniferR771
04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Actually there is a greater Detroit area transgender group--I don't recall the exact name. Maybe Transgender Michigan.

I belong to a Tri-Ess group that meets west of Lansing. CD single, or with their SO.

And there is a third (small) group, Just Us, of Grand Rapids. CD/TG/ Fto M

Get involved with the your therapist. You will be helping other nearby people. And you will meet other interesting people with, shall we say, similar interests. You will also help to educate your therapist. Some know almost nothing about cd.

trannie T
04-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I've been to a couple of meetings of the transgender group in Reno. The leader of the group is a woman in graduate school learning to become a therapist. She asked if we could talk sometime about crossdressing. I'm looking forward to it.

Marcie Sexton
04-13-2007, 09:43 AM
The final choice is entirely up to you, but I would take several things in consideration before I committed...

Acceptance of the community in/around your area...

Comfortability of yourself in a group discussing your life...

Full knowledge of his intent, the whys and hows...

If you are satisfied with them and any other things that are important to you I say go for it...I know for me, the nearest Tri-ess is 2-3 hour drive and the local support groups have either went under ground or belly up...So for me and my wife, we are ur own support group, which may or may not be a healthy thing, but to date has worked...

No matter which way you go, Good luck...