PDA

View Full Version : How many have had their "Drivers License" name changed to their "FEM" name?

Tamera
04-11-2007, 05:35 AM
I have seen some girls having this done. I don't know what the POLITICS involved is to have this done? Maybe it varies from state to state.
But I also heard that they must also carry another form of I.D. for their regular identity.
Then I have also heard that they had to identify themselves as Transgender.
Any comments on the subject? It'll be interesting to see how people in the different states had this done, or if they have showed their I.D. to the Police, etc.
LOL
Tamera

Kate Simmons
04-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Some of my friends have them Tamera but I fail to see the point myself. Is it simply a way to identify onesself as transgender to authorities or anyone you would present your ID to or also a way to convince yourself of the premise? Some folks may need that kind of reinforcement but I know who I am. If I'm ever pulled over by Police, I'll simply tell them I'm a CD and going to a friend's place or going to the club and even take my wig off for ID if necessary. Unless someone is planning on transitioning, I don't see the point in having such a thing. You're going to be "outted" if they want to see another ID anyway. Just my thinking.:happy: Sal

Phoebe Reece
04-11-2007, 07:11 AM
In most states, giving anything other than your legal name on a driver's license application is illegal and could subject you to jail time for doing it. In many states it is perfectly OK to have, in addition to your driver's license, a state issued ID card which must also have your legal name. However the photo on the ID can be of you enfemme. I have a state issued ID that has Phoebe's picture on it and it solves a lot of problems with using credit cards that are in my male name. It can also save some problems at police checkpoints or anywhere else that positive ID is required.

MJ
04-11-2007, 07:24 AM
yes i have i change it last june
here in canada all you need to do is have a note from your doctor and the DMV will not only change your name but also your gender tag as long as it's your legal name change, and you don't need srs to change your gender tag

stacie
04-11-2007, 08:05 AM
You must first legally change your name, Then you must get a court order to take with you to the bmv. There is a lot of red tape involved. It is easier to get a state id with your femm picture and male name.

sandra-leigh
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey, there's no poll entry for "I Don't drive" :(

I checked into getting a bank account in my femme name, as I didn't want to be ordering things in my male name. They checked and said the only way they could do it (Canada) was if I started a business in that name, as they are allowed to put business names on accounts. I suspect the answer was incomplete -- there must be lots of people using "stage names" that want to be able to receive or spend money under their stage name, so there must be a way.

(It has turned out so far that I've been doing most of my shopping locally, and most of it while I'm in drab. The stores never look at the name on my debit card.)

Eileen
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes getting a non drivers license picture ID with you female picture and your male info works great. I have been using mine for the past six months with out a problem.

Eileen

michelleupnorth
04-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I plan on telling them, once I transition, that they made a spelling error on my drivers license. My name is Michelle and not Michael

Stephenie S
04-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Dear Michelle,

That's exactly how I changed my name. I told them that obviously they had made a mistake. I was able to change every ID I had that way. The more IDs you get the easier this becomes. Instead of asking them to change it, you make it their fault. For the most part it worked perfectly. And this was years ago, before I had any thoughts of transition. No surgery still.

It may be more difficult in this post 9/11 world though.

Lovies,
Steph

Fab Karen
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Legal matters such as with ID's are different in Canada & the U.S.- here you must put down your legal birth name and gender. It requires a legal name change to change the name on ID's. Gender status on ID's can only be changed via a therapist's note that you are a transsexual and are going to transition. State ID or a federal one ( passport ) are what law enforcement recognize in this country.

marissa_darling
04-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I want to but the legality of it is the only thing stopping me.

Stephenie S
04-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I have explained this before on this forum so I will only touch on it here again. It is your absolute legal right to call yourself any name you want as long as you are not doing it to defraud. This is called "Common Law" name change, and it is perfectly legal. You just announce to the world that from this day forth you will answer only to the name "Sue", or whatever name you want.

Of course the difficulty begins when you try to deal with government bureaucracies. Very few of them want to accept "Common Law". It is legal however, and it is possible.

You would have FAR fewer problems just hiring a lawyer and going to court. Again, very legal. You have every right to change your name to whatever you want.

Lovies,
Steph

Kristen Kelly
04-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey, there's no poll entry for "I Don't drive" :(

I checked into getting a bank account in my femme name, as I didn't want to be ordering things in my male name. They checked and said the only way they could do it (Canada) was if I started a business in that name, as they are allowed to put business names on accounts. I suspect the answer was incomplete -- there must be lots of people using "stage names" that want to be able to receive or spend money under their stage name, so there must be a way.

(It has turned out so far that I've been doing most of my shopping locally, and most of it while I'm in drab. The stores never look at the name on my debit card.)

Kristen has gotten Her own credit card, it is linked to my male account and I 'm responsible for all she charges. I like the Idea of a state Id for a second ID enfem.

XDW Nathan-Natasha
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I suppose I could get a fake id? But why would I want that? Still though, I can't understand why I would need a form of id with my femme name on it.

Although, I suppose if I'm enfemme and going to a bar and I get carded, it might be a bit of an embarassment to hand over my id and have the bartender make a scene ("My gosh, this lady's a man!") and totally spoil my night.
Damn, that really is starting to make me think that I could use an alternate driver's liscense with my femme name and picture on it now...it COULD come in handy...
Otherwise, I could order all non-alcoholic drinks (what's the fun in that? I haven't had a beer in days due to being on pain-killers... I WANT A BEER ENFEMME! Man, that makes me sound like an alcoholic... I don't drink that much, seriously) or just pray I don't get carded.

Or, I could preemptively pull the bartender aside and say: 'Psst, sir/ma'am. I'm a cross-dresser, here's my id. Please don't make a scene. I just want a drink. Thank you.'

And if I get pulled over enfemme...I have NO idea what I'd do.
Cop: "Can I see your id, ma'am?"
Me (in femme voice): "Um...of course officer."
Cop: "Ma'am, is this a stolen car?"
Me (in male voice): "Uh...no, it's mine, sir. Please don't tell me cross-dressing is illegal in the state of Minnesota."

That would suck. That's another situation where a femme liscense may come in handy. But still, I'd probably just hand over my usual one to prevent a fuss (which is probably inevitable anyhow).

Melanie R
04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Unless you have a court order you will not be able to change your name on your drivers license. The license will still have the Male marker. In many states you can get a second state id card with your feminine presentation but the same info as on your reguar drivers license.

Melanie R
04-11-2007, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Stephenie S;820893]I have explained this before on this forum so I will only touch on it here again. It is your absolute legal right to call yourself any name you want as long as you are not doing it to defraud. This is called "Common Law" name change, and it is perfectly legal. You just announce to the world that from this day forth you will answer only to the name "Sue", or whatever name you want.

Yes, you can change your name but the gender marker will still be Male unless you have a court order to change the gender markers. In many cities this is not possible unless you have completed SRS.

KimberlyS
04-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Well the only reason I use Kimberly is to make people on the cding forums more comfortable. When I first starting researching what I know know as cding and reading on another forum I could not believe how uncomfortable some cders were with some one using a male name. And some were just down right rude. So I took on a female name. But in my self acceptance I have realized I am just a guy who wears feminine clothes at times. So no I will not ever get my femme name on my drivers license. Besides I do not see what the big deal is. I use both my male CCs and ID when I am in femme mode and have had no problems at all. Some surprised looks, but not even little problem using them. And that includes getting a Victoria Secret Angel CC while dressed enfemme and using my male information and ID for verification of who I was.

If I am away from my home town and people I know, I see no big deal in people knowing I am a guy in womans clothes. I would like to know how else we are going to gain acceptance if people do not know who we are. If we want acceptance we need to be known and seen that we are just the average joe/jane and not the images and information they get from the bad media.

gerdani8
04-12-2007, 04:33 AM
>>How many have had their "Drivers License" name changed to their "FEM" name<<

Yes. I changed it in March 1998. Of course, I also went to court and legally changed my name before the visit to the BMV. My new name cost me $125 as I did all the paperwork myself. If I had gone thru a lawyer, the price would have been close to $1000.

Armed with the papers from the court, my visits to the license branch and the local Social Security office went much more smoothly than I thought they would. I walked out with my new license in 15 minutes, and at the SS office, it was merely a matter of filling out a form and giving them a copy of the court order.

Yes, unfortunately my license still has that nasty "M" on it, but where I live, the state won't change this without medical records, etc, verifying I have had SRS.

I can remember using my credit cards with my old name on them and being called "[U]MRS.[U] *****". I got a big laugh out of that!

Gerri

linnea
04-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I haven't gotten different ID, but I think that I'm going to find out about getting a state ID card. It would help in a number of situations, I think.