PDA

View Full Version : Saw a possible CDer

cindychan
04-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Hey all. As I was shopping for a ladie's leather coat at Good Will I noticed something a bit strange. I saw a man dressed in a hooded furry coat with dark sun glasses frantically shopping for women's clothes. This guy was so nervous, that he drew everyones attention. I never saw anyone shop ,rumaging though clothes that fast in my life. I felt bad for the guy, but at least he had the courage to shop. I noticed that he checked out the second there was nobody in line. Then I realized what made him so nervous. The store was filled with mean people. One older man approached me while I was trying on a cute short-cut leather jacket and just shook his head, not saying anything, but just shock his head no at me like I commited some shameful act. Yes, I was not in femme attire but come on, to get that reaction for trying on a jacket? Then as two guys about 20 years of age pass me on thier way out of the store one comments on "all the freaks in this store...". Grrrr! I really wanted to fight him, but choose not to, trying to think better thoughts. And the cherry on the cake was when I left the store and the female clerk gave me the harshest look I've ever seen on a "Good Will" SA. I'm glad I didn't buy anything there because I would feel like I contributed to hate or something evil. I just hope that other CDer wasn't treated poorly or threatened somehow.:mad:

Paulacder
04-14-2007, 06:24 AM
I like turning the tables on people like that. If it was me and I was trying on the jacket and a person made a snide remark I would smile, then ask them their opinion on how the jacket looks on me. When you initate the conversation this takes them by suprise and works everytime. You will find they are at a loss for words.

Angie G
04-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Well I think do gooders do little good at all :hugs:
Angie

Gina_darling
04-14-2007, 10:02 AM
I certainly wouldn't go there again! I've not had a negative reaction yet when shopping, everyone is so polite here. Actually it's bad that they are because it makes me go back and get more! :heehee: Good for you that you just didn't take any notice and sink to those intolerant fools' levels.

Kerrie Sifton
04-14-2007, 12:39 PM
It may have been their first time in a store after being encouraged by this site.:D , as for the store, someone should remind them that they are in the clothing sales business. Having been in a goodwill recently (sans furry coat and sunglasses) I do not race to the skirts, although I would like to, but I shop quickly noting who is in the store and what items are available.
My first time buying thigh highs and panty hose at the Bay was probably the most nerve wracking. After a few of those incidents, one settles down a bit.
The experiences from others on this site are probably the most encouraging I have encountered. Thanks Girls!

Eva Diva
04-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm ignored at the local thrift stores. I stand at the skirt rack going through each possible item, and the women pass me by. Same thing at the tops. I"ve even tried on a dress in the fitting rooms and had a crowd of workers just outside talking - no problem. On the other hand, I don't stand holding up dresses against myself to check the length. Usually. Well, once in a while I sneak one in. :D I've been told that I can look kinda mean, so those who notice me are probably afraid of me. :devil:

stormrider
04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I have spent many hours in Goodwill and Salvation Army store shopping for the vintage clothing I like. I have had very few notice or care about what I was purchasing, even with a number of tops or skirts thrown over my arm. The place I feel most comfortable in though is a place called "Garment District" in Boston. It is a bit pricy and I haven't been there for a while, but no one says a word if I hold a top up or check a sleeve or hem length. The worst a SA has ever done is just not say a word. Most have been very friendly and one or two have made nice comments on my selections. I guess it is not so much the company, but the location. Maybe if we should have a CD friendly shopper's guide. posted.

cindychan
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
On second thought I should go back there and see what happens:devil: I could practice being a evil, stuckup CD.:eek:

TracyH
04-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I like goodwill shopping, but those people who show up early on the mornings after the clothes are put out are pretty competetive. One time this old lady was looking through clothes and looked up at me, and said loudly, "The boy clothes are over there!" I just smiled and said, "yes, I know where they are, thank you."

We met again going in opposite directions and once again, even louder, "The boy clothes are over there!" I stopped and got close to her, and telling her like she was deaf, "Yes! Thank you! I know where they are!" A couple people laughed and snickered, and then the lady turned red with rage and left.

My backup plan was going to be "MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE OVER THERE LADY YOU HAVE THE MUSTACHE" However, that would have been a little too much.

Karren H
04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Guess you've never seen me shop before....... Especially if theirs a clearence!!! Hangers slapping, old ladies knocked to the ground!! Its a battle field out there... Winner gets the pretty things.. loosers get to wear jeans! Lol That's why I play ice hockey... To keep me inshape for shopping!!

He probably had 5 more stores to hit before they closed!! Hehe

:D

Love Karren

SANDRA MICHELLE
04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I can say that had I gotten the reception you say happened at the thrift store I would have really gave them somethings to think about. I am not one to shy away from this sort of controversy. I probably would have made a point to talk to the crossdresser in the store and let him know he wasn't alone, I don't know how I would have done it but if I was sure of his status I would have introduced myself and tried to strike up a conversation. I know that when I am out shopping for fem things I would love to have another cd come up to me, that's just me though and I am sure it's not like that for everyone. I surely would have glared the ill mannered patrons and SO down and probably would have tried some things on just to make my point well known.
Again this is who I am and I don't want to suggest that my methods will work for anyone else, good luck out there shopping.

JoAnnDallas
04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Last year while wife and I were at the Desney Park in Fla., I spotted a fellow CDer at the park. While wife was in the restroom, so I walked over and while standing beside her, said "Hello, enjoying the park?". She looked at me, got all werid and quickly left. I kinda figured out later that, she was still not sure of herself, probley one of her first outing, and as such was very nervious. So coming up to her and even saying Hello was a little too much for her. I am sure that she knew I had read her, by the smile I gave her.

hhfet
04-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey all. As I was shopping for a ladie's leather coat at Good Will I noticed something a bit strange. I saw a man dressed in a hooded furry coat with dark sun glasses frantically shopping for women's clothes. This guy was so nervous, that he drew everyones attention. I never saw anyone shop ,rumaging though clothes that fast in my life. I felt bad for the guy, but at least he had the courage to shop. I noticed that he checked out the second there was nobody in line. Then I realized what made him so nervous. The store was filled with mean people. One older man approached me while I was trying on a cute short-cut leather jacket and just shook his head, not saying anything, but just shock his head no at me like I commited some shameful act. Yes, I was not in femme attire but come on, to get that reaction for trying on a jacket? Then as two guys about 20 years of age pass me on thier way out of the store one comments on "all the freaks in this store...". Grrrr! I really wanted to fight him, but choose not to, trying to think better thoughts. And the cherry on the cake was when I left the store and the female clerk gave me the harshest look I've ever seen on a "Good Will" SA. I'm glad I didn't buy anything there because I would feel like I contributed to hate or something evil. I just hope that other CDer wasn't treated poorly or threatened somehow.:mad:

Damn, Cindy, you look GR8! I don't know about in 'Candyland', but here in LA, I'm always buying dresses and heels in thrift stores and I never get a second look.

Eva Diva
04-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Damn, Cindy, you look GR8! I don't know about in 'Candyland', but here in LA, I'm always buying dresses and heels in thrift stores and I never get a second look.

When I was at the thrift store today looking at dresses, I saw an older - than me :D - gentleman looking at the smaller sizes across the aisle.

I don't know about him, but I got a nice gray skirt and a silver top. :D