PDA

View Full Version : The Salon, Yes or No?

Wendrme
04-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I am pretty sure that most of us girls have to maintain a drab existence and so rely heavily on wigs and the help on friendly GG's for our crowning glory.
Late last summer my wife asked me not to get a haircut for awhile so I didn't and she took good care of my hair up until the morning of Halloween when she took me by the hand to her Salon and turned me over to her stylist/beautician. Being roller set and under the dryer was delightful and the whole day leading up to the parties of Halloween was fantastic and certainly educational.

But I have used wigs 99% of the time. I was wondering if many or most of you girls use a hair salon with any regularity for actual sets and styling and not just for makeup and nails?

Rikkicn
04-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I go to the salon often for hair cuts and highlighting.
It's become rare to a woman doing a styling and set. Seems to happen with the boomer's mother's generation.
Mostly women get cut/style using lots of products and a hair dryer. Easy to take care of and easy to wear

Kerry Owens
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Lawren has nice long hair and I happen to like it, so it's not going to get any time soon.:D

Stephenie S
04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes I go to the salon. I have developed a good relationship with my stylist and I depend on her for help in caring for my hair (what little there is of it). I really don't want to have to wear a wig. I want the freedom on my own hair. My stylist thinks that together we will be able to develop a flattering style that will maximize my thinning locks. So far it's working.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Rhonda Jean
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM
I love the salon. Salons are typically prteey accepting. In fact, I'm going this morning to get my hair flat-ironed. I've had it layered for a few months now,and am still learning how to handle the layers. It looks best when the longest layer (a few inches below my shoulders) is flipped up and the other layers are flipped under. Really shows off the layers. Sounds simple enough, but I have trouble getting it "just right", so I treat myself to the salon. Used to do a weekly roller set. I was probably the younges roller set client, and I'm 49! The flat iron/curling iron do is by far more common and fashionable now.

I'm dressed casually fem this morning, which is my typical salon look. Light makeup, girl's flare jeans and sandals, V-neck top. This look kind of says, "don't be afraid to give me a fem style" without being overtly fem. Very comfortable.

Staci G
04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I am trying to let my hair grow but it is so slow mean while I wear the wig my hair is not too thin so it should do nicely. My wife says to get it cut but I flat out said NO. She also said there are women that would kill for my hair but I am not a woman and I need to cut it like a man should..
I wish I knew who instilled these values in her....
I look forward to the day I get to go to the salon and get rollers and a highlight :daydreaming:

Daintre
04-16-2007, 11:20 AM
In the day...when I still had my thick hair, I was a regular at the salon, I just loved getting a perm. The style was on the fem side but after a short time it was accepted by all my co-workers. I wish that option was still open to me today.

Catherine Hart
04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I started growing my hair in early 2003 and it's now down to my lower back. I was the wrong side of 40 when I started but I thought - what the heck. After about 18 months I went to a salon in drab for a trim and tidy up. The girl who did my hair was a bit non-plussed about my locks and tried to persuade me to have them cut off. I wouldn't let her but in the end she did a nice job.

I had hoped for a better experience and, needless to say, I haven't been back to a solon since. I have had one trim since and I did that myself although I'd love to be able to go en-femme and get pampered.

I'm envious of the girls who have found supportive stylists and I wish I knew of one or two around the Cambridge, UK area.

SANDRA MICHELLE
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
i go to the same salon my wife goes to and the girl that does my haircuts is really wonderful. If I had it my way I would grow my hair long and have it cut for a easy female style. For now though it's man hair do's only and no nail jobs. Lifes a Bi...

Kristen Kelly
04-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I have been going to the salons for decades, in fact I went to a vocational high school and was a guinea pig many a time for the students. Had my hair permed, colored, bleached, and my nails done, I was easily persuaded to try many things.
Now I have been growing out my hair it is collar length, with strawberry blonde highlighted. I have gotten to the point that I want her to soften up the style and go more feminine guess I’ll just show her my avatars picture, for that is truly how I would like my hair styled.

goofus
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
I started growing my hair in early 2003 and it's now down to my lower back. I was the wrong side of 40 when I started but I thought - what the heck. After about 18 months I went to a salon in drab for a trim and tidy up. The girl who did my hair was a bit non-plussed about my locks and tried to persuade me to have them cut off. I wouldn't let her but in the end she did a nice job.

I had hoped for a better experience and, needless to say, I haven't been back to a solon since. I have had one trim since and I did that myself although I'd love to be able to go en-femme and get pampered.

I'm envious of the girls who have found supportive stylists and I wish I knew of one or two around the Cambridge, UK area.

I think your hair is quite lovely...and I'm sure you could find a sympathetic stylist, you just have to look...

BlUeDrAgOn
04-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm thinking about letting my hair grow a little (I've had my hair grow like Catherine's and I loved it) but the problem is I'm trying to find a job and it's not easy for them to employ someone... let's say... out of the ordinary. For me, the hair salon is not a problem, because my hair doesn't need much care (yet) and I like it simple (a pony tail or something like that). So, it's just a matter of cutting the ends for it to grow healthy and little more. Oh, and one thing I did in my early 20's was pierce my ears, whitch makes me feel a lot more feminine. But... This is all very nice but the majority of employers don't accept men with this kind of... characteristics. That is why I don't think I will be able to let my hair grow. Jobs on't come easy and I'm having a hard time finding one for me; I don't think it's wise to make things even harder showing myself in an interview with long hair and earrings.

Dixie
04-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Nevr used a salon. when I was younger I had long hair and my wife would fix it for me, now I am bald so I have to rely on a wig.