PDA

View Full Version : She said / I said

sandra-leigh
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
I was cuddling my wife this morning in bed, when she asked, "Why do you have some fake boobs? There are some downstairs?". I, not really being awake, didn't really know what to say. It's not a good time to drop anything heavy on my wife, as one of her parents is ill. But she did ask directly, so what I replied was, "Ah, so that's where they got to."

She asked what I did with the forms; did I wear them? I made some confirming noise. She asked, "Is that all you wear?" and I answered "No". I said something about that it was complex and would take a while to explain, and she said "Yes?" in that "Well, start talking" tone; I said again that it would take a while to explain, and she said roughly "Go ahead and start; we don't get to talk much otherwise" {we've both been busy.}

I've been telling myself for awhile that if she ever asked me about my dressing directly, that I wasn't going to lie about it. And I was telling someone just a couple of weeks ago that I'm really starting to feel like I should tell her... but you know how it is, there's never a "good time" to put your relationship on the line.

So anyhow, we proceeded to have The Talk, wherein I told her that Yes, I dress up in women's clothes. Dresses and makeup and bras and wigs were mentioned. Either then or later in the day she asked about my female name.

She said, lightheartedly, "Don't wear my things"; I replied that I had lots of things of my own. She asked about where I kept it; when I mentioned work, she asked if that was safe, and said that I should put them in the (empty) wardrobe downstairs, and that I could clean out a bunch of my old clothes in the closet under the stair and use that. When I mentioned foundation, she laughed and said that she doesn't even wear foundation, and offered me her old foundation.

She joked about my dressing a couple of times during the day, suggesting for example that I had seen too much Monty Python.

I told her some things about the local crossdressing club, so she knows that there's a social aspect for me. She has been concerned about my not having many friends here, so I think she won't mind my going to the meetings and some of the events.

The key messages of the day from her: (1) she wasn't sure that she wanted to see me dressed; (2) my dressing up was acceptable, but if I wanted to start to live as a woman then she would have to think about it more; (3) that I should be careful to only go to safe places, as she was concerned about the possibility of the equivilent of gay-bashing; and (4) don't spend too much money (I'm consistantly debt-free, so it was more a way of saying "Don't go overboard.") Additionally, I infer that she has some concerns about the degree to which I behave like a woman, which links back to (2).

Thus, at the moment, I don't have permission to dress at home (when she's there), but I do have permission (at least in theory) to dress. The issue of preparing myself at home (while she is there) for me to go out, is one that we have not touched upon yet.

My assessment, based upon her reactions today, is that: a) bringing all my clothes home at once might be a bit overwhelming; b) that likely I'll be able to get permission relatively soon to wear a simple skirt (e.g., my long denim skirt) around the house; c) probably I'll be okay to wear some of my tops as well -- I have a bunch of tops that are not male colours or patterns but are not obviously feminine cut; and d) I don't think she's ready yet for me wearing a bra and forms in front of her, especially not my big forms. (More specifically, I think she might be able to handle me wearing my smaller forms with clothes that don't make them too obvious, but I don't think she'd be ready to actually see the bra on me -- there's a psychological difference between seeing the effect and seeing the bra itself.)

And of course I'm a bit concerned about delayed reactions.

She took it all better than I thought. I did have some clues along the way to suggest she didn't mind some specific aspects involved in dressing, such as wearing some makeup, but "It's okay, guys wear makeup these days" is a somewhat different proposition than, "I wear makeup in order to dress up as a woman."

It is too early yet to tell where she is going to end up on the axis of "What you do in your spare time is your business; I don't want to know the details, and don't tell me about it!" versus being "accepting" versus being "supportive". She did not freak out, and she did not get upset, and she did not go into "Why didn't you tell me years ago?!?!?". I think she's currently at the stage of "it's just clothes and it's just makeup"; I think she might be a bit troubled yet by seeing me "become" a woman.

{By the way, I was right: she did not realize that the underwear I've been wearing in her presence for a couple of years (and which she now prefers to see on me) are women's panties.}

Byllie
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
First off, I'm so glad to hear that "The Talk" went well. Second, as has been said over and over on this forum is to take baby steps. It may seem great right now, but who knows what might occur if you take it too quickly.

Victoria Anne
04-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Tess,wow you got lucky girl,I wish you all the best of luck,it sounds as though your wife is an understanding woman who will in time become supportive of you.All my best

sandra-leigh
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Second, as has been said over and over on this forum is to take baby steps. It may seem great right now, but who knows what might occur if you take it too quickly.

Yeah. For example I think I will bring my long nicer dresses home -- there are only a few of them and I cringe to think of them crammed in the locker I have them in. But those two lockers are jam-packed with clothes and that'd be way too much at one time!

fwidman
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
The Talk is the hardest step to take, I think. There is no real way t guage how things went for sure, but your post certainly sounds like things went in a positive direction. I agree wholeheartedly with what was said here earlier, do take baby steps. I Made some giant steps with my ex, assuming she was okay with things, only to find her completely overwhelmed, which soured things for a long time. I wouldn't want to see that happen to you. Just take things slowly and all should be well :)

Lori SC
04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
All I can say is WOW Tess.

Your wife suggested you keep your things inthe house and is OK with you going out with other CDs all in a day? Amazing, and you don't know how lucky you are.

The future looks good for you. If your wife already accepts this much, in a little while (hours in your case:heehee: ) she will probably let you dress completly at home.

It just goes to show that there is no way to know how a wife reacts to finding out.

Hugs, Lori

Jenny Beth
04-16-2007, 09:58 AM
That went well. But I have to believe she's known about your dressing for quite some time and considered all her options long before mentioning it to you. Your honesty certainly scored some brownie points, had you lied or beat around the bush the outcome could have been very different. I think in time it may be possible to dress in front of her but right now keep those communication lines open.

scarlet
04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
The best thing you can do now is keep those lines of communication open . your past the hard part good luck and I hope things keep going well.

cindybarnes
04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Tess, that is awsome to hear that your initial "talk" went so well ! Its also good to hear you mention your ready for the posability of a delayed reaction.
We still have to deal with those moving goal post's too, so like many have said here before, just take it slow and hopefuly you both can enjoy your "other"side :)
Cindy

Di
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Your wife sounds awesome.....if she ever wants to be with others...tell her about the GG group here ( if and when the times right) But I was very glad to read that you told the truth...thank you for that. In the days and weeks to come she might or might not have more questions...just answer them honestly. Best Wishes. Di

mylitta
04-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I was very glad to read that you told the truth...thank you for that.

:iagree: You don't know how much that will mean in the coming days- to keep your wife's trust will mean so much to you both. Your wife is going to need your support as she comes to terms with this, but it sounds as if you are set for a happy outcome. Good luck to you both.

Eugenie
04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Thats great Tess,

Indeed you have to remain cautious, as was mentionned by some other sisters, but that's a big step forward that you did.

It is also great that you could do it at your age. Unfortunately I only didt it partially when I was younger so my wife knew some about my X-dressing, but it is only very recently that I have reached the level you're at... And I'm sixty... So many years waisted...

Some sister made a comment that your wife may have known more than you thought. I think that she may be right... Mine knew a lot more than I thought she did... When we finaly talked, I came to realise many things about how much my X-dressing impacted her life...

So for many reasons you really did the right thing in answering honestly...
:hugs:
Eugenie

siennacd
04-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Tess, deff. take baby steps w/your wife. She may not think anything else of it but, it may also, take a couple of days for it to sink in. Just be honest w/her.

Sienna

Sally24
04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I have to agree with most of the others. Be cautious and take it slow. Let her start most of the conversations about it so that she doesn't feel that you are pushing. Just remember how you controled it when she didn't know. Keep it sort of like that for awhile and let her ease her way into thinking about it.

My wife has known about it forever but still gets to that stage where she feels that is all we talk about some days. Let her have time to digest and I think you will do alright. Just be patient. As my wife loves to repeat "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, often found in women, never in a man"

Billijo49504
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I hope you've ordered the flowers and made the reservation for a nice dinner for two. She deserve it.....BJ

Michelia
04-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Happy for you Tess. And thanks for sharing. It was a good, positive and entertaining slice of CD life.

Michelia

SherriePall
04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Tess, good for you. Sounds like you have a good plan of taking it slow. Good luck.

SANDRA MICHELLE
04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Good for you Tess and you have a heck of a wife so make sure you appreciate her. I have my clothes hanging in the closet and I have a drawer for my bras and panties, My shoes are all hidden away since they are no where near my wifes size, she wears size 8 and mine are 11's. My dresses are not what she would normally wear either so I really should put them out of sight since our daughter rifles through our closet often for skirts and such. She took a black lacey skirt of mine just yesterday, i am sure she thought it was her moms but if she only knew it's Sandra's.

Stephenie S
04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Dear Tess,

Good for you girl. That was a great story. I would agree with everyone else here with advice to "take it slow". It sounds like you have gotten some intitial acceptance. It might not be the green light to go ahead. Hard to tell at this point, isn't it? My advice would be to lay low for a while and see what happens. Don't push too hard at this point.

Lovies,
Stephenie

EmmaJane TS
04-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Tess,

I'm glad for you Hon it's great when your S/O shares THAT important part of your life. Like all the other girls have said the hard part is over just go with the flow and don't pressure your wife and I'm sure all your wildest CD dreams will come true in time.

Hugs and kisses,

EmmaJ.

DonnaT
04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Glad it worked out Tess.

I reckon she took time to think about the possibilities when she found your forms, and was hoping for the truth.

So, how does one manage to leave their forms laying around?

Dixie
04-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Tess that is great, don't go to fast and I think it will be allright. I'm so happy for ypu.
:love: Dixie

sandra-leigh
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
So, how does one manage to leave their forms laying around?

I'm kind of hoping that she found the size 7s that I somehow managed to lose (!!). I've looked so many places for those...

She's been looking through things in the basement lately, digging out blankets and clothes and so on, so she might have found one of my several stashes at some earlier time (before I reorganized), and just not talked about it until now. 10 weeks ago she had found something and mentioned at the time having found "some strange things" and "cosplay", but we didn't talk about it then. I didn't ask about what she's seen or not, or when.

I reckon she took time to think about the possibilities when she found your forms, and was hoping for the truth

That's plausible. She has had to be out of town a lot lately, which may have affected the timing of raising the issue.

TxKimberly
04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Awesome! No doubt at the moment your still a wreck from nerves, but in the next couple of days your going to feel like a thousand pounds you hadn't even known was there has been lifted off of you.
Congrats, you are now in pretty much the very same boat I am in! Don't forget to take your turn bailing!

Kim

Kendra Irene
04-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Tess, as others have said, small steps. If, or when she feels that she may be ready to meet the group, I would suggest her meeting Shandi and Charm first.
Although my wife felt she was ready, it took a week for her to get over the shock of meeting so many crossdressers, at the Gala.
Hind sight is wonderful

Kendra

Phoebe Reece
04-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Tess, your story is yet another one that demonstrates honesty is the best policy.

sandra-leigh
04-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Tess, your story is yet another one that demonstrates honesty is the best policy.

What happened worked out for me (or so it seems so far), but in reflection, I think that if I had been more open, I would probably not have pushed my boundaries as far as I did.

- I'm not sure I would have gone out to some of the straight bars dressed up (or at least not as often)

- I probably wouldn't have gotten my large (and expensive) forms

- I'm not sure if I would have ever ended up going out in a skirt in guy mode (which I've done several times now without any problem)

On the other hand, if my wife had known and been accepting for the last couple of years, possibly I might have developed a plain-jane dress style to go around with my wife on casual occasions. Also, depending how much she might have pushed me to hide my being my male self, I might have developed a bit of a voice by now, which is something I've never worked on at all. And I'd probably be better on my makeup by now :D

I think one could moot a reasonable hypothesis that the build up of pressure of hiding from her found its outlet in me expressing my feminine style more sharply. For example, I now have some long and decidedly female (but not girly!) dresses that I'm fond of, which I don't know that I would have bought if I hadn't needed the outlet as much as I did. But this is one of those instances where hindsight is not 20/20!

In not telling my wife earlier, I ended up developing my own comfort levels and behaviours independantly, based only upon my internal feelings. And I think to some non-trivial degree, I had to learn to accept it in myself before I could be ready to share it.

Example: a couple of months ago, I bought lavender tights; I wasn't crazy about the colour, but I was feeling rebelious and wanted to wear something at work secretly that definitely wasn't male (unlike the traditional black or white tights I'd worn sometimes, which were literally protective colouration choices. The joke turned out to be on me, as the tights turned out to be very comfortable, and I turn out to like the colour (which I still can't explain to myself :) ). But if I'd been interacting on crossdressing with my wife, I probably wouldn't have been feeling rebelious for one thing, and I suspect my wife would have worried about it not being "safe" for me to wear such things at work. I've taken chances like that by myself, that I don't know that I would have risked in collaboration.

To make things even more complicated: the period during which I started dressing was one in which I was not in good shape medically, and a consequence of that was that I was very short tempered with my wife (which was frustrating, because that's not the kind of person I want to be.) Communications were not good back then. I've mellowed (fortunately), and my wife has mellowed; we are now at the point where both of us were ready to be able to discuss things; back then, neither of us were ready.

I think that sometimes life is just too messy for "honesty is the best policy" to be categorically true -- or at least not for "Openness is the best policy" to be categorically true. Not that I can think of any better policy, in which case honesty would still be the best policy, in cases that are amenable to any policy applying at all.

Roxi Loh
04-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Fantastic first conversation with one exception, you should have told her before confrontation. However, it went well and time to keep talking. Now that she knows be truthful don't sneak around. It can rack you with guilt. Be more open and be light with it.

sandra-leigh
04-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Fantastic first conversation with one exception, you should have told her before confrontation.

Perhaps I should have told her earlier; perhaps not. I had reasons not to. Some of those reasons relate to matters I do not discuss in public, so I will have to leave it as "I'm not certain that your statement is necessarily true."