PDA

View Full Version : My First Solo Shopping Adventure

Valerie Nicole
04-17-2007, 09:23 PM
A thread I started earlier today inspired me to go to the mall today. I was in male mode, because for the time being I never go out dressed. I went into a department store in the mall, and headed right for the women's section. I must have left and come back a good half dozen times over the course of this particular shopping trip.

First time in I stayed on the edges of the women's section and just looked at the clothes from afar. I felt like I didn't even belong in the section...it was scary. Second time in I went into the section to get a closer look, but refused to touch the clothes. Third and fourth time in I finally started sorting through the skirts and such to see if there was anything that would interest me. I left that time using the "I don't know what size to buy" excuse. Fifth or sixth time in I sorted through again with an intention to buy, and finally left with a clearance sale denim skirt.

I went through the checkout, and told the woman that I wasn't sure it was the right size. She said that if it wasn't I could return it. I brought it home and tried it on. At first it seems to fit okay, but I was only in it for a minute so I'm not going to take the tags and everything off yet.

Overall the day was a success. I conquered one of my biggest CD related fears. I got no funny looks or awkward questions. The woman who cashed me through either assumed it was for someone else or just didn't care if it was for me.

Special thanks to all those who encouraged me to do this. I did it and I couldn't be prouder...plus I have a brand new skirt to boot.

Hmmm...speaking of boots...next shopping trip perhaps?

AllieSF
04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Congratulations Jessica. I know the feeling of being in the right place at the wrong mental time. Since I have always bought clothes as gifts for my daughter, ex-wife and girlfriends, I have learned that the sales agents are used to men shopping in the woman's department. It is when you want to try something on that it becomes another bigger obstacle. I usually try to head for the men's section to use the men's changing rooms. However, since I shop primarily in the thrift stores and find great bargains and good quality items, I am bolder and use the dressing room (normally only one in front of everyone) to try on tops and skirts. I shop outside my area and just keep my head down as I go about my business, and it works great. I always try to look the cashier in the eye too for my own benefit. Good luck and enjoy your shopping. One word of caution though - be careful you don't start overspending with your new found courage!

Barb Valentine
04-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Good for you Jess
Believe me it does get easier the more you do it
But I'll tell you this SA will come over to ask if you need any help
(they think most guys don't know that there doing)
You just could say "no thank I'm just looking" or " do you have this in a * size"
they won't think anything of it

If you go to a Wal Mart they have a self check out
So no face to face when your buying bra's & panties

Valerie Nicole
04-18-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the replies, girls. I'm not planning another shopping trip just yet what with my funds being low...but there was another really cute skirt I saw that I really want. *sigh* guess it'll have to wait. As for the bras and panties thing, Barb, I'm not ready for that yet. Nowhere near brave enough. I think I still need a GG with me when I go.

Jocelyn Quivers
04-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Good times Jess, I could use some of your courage to go shopping by myself without my wife present. Good luck on being able to resist the urge to shop because your funds are low. I wish I had that kind of self control. Jocelyn

Karren H
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
All right!! Now that you've overcome that... Time to apply for a new VISA card (get it in your fem name) and maybe a second job to support your new hobby..... Shopping... I still haven't figured out if I'm more adicted to shopping for womens clothes or wearing them? Hehe.

Love Karren

Valerie Nicole
04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
To Karren: Second job? I wish...more like first job! And with regards to the credit card idea no, here's a basic mathematical formula to describe the outcome:

me + credit card = BAD IDEA

I already treat my debit like its a credit card...I am not careful with money at all. A credit card would only compound my problems...monthly! But yes, I do need a job so I can start going out and buying more clothes. Not sure about shopping en femme, though. I still have yet to go out en femme at all. I don't live in a big city and the odds of running into someone I know are decent, especially because a few people I know actually work at that mall, including one of my cousins.

To Jocelyn: It's not as hard as you might think it is. I did it in baby steps, as you can see. You wouldn't even have to take every step in the same trip like I did. I almost left without buying anything, but then I got delayed and stuck at the mall a little longer, wandered into the clearance section and saw that skirt. If that hadn't have happened, I probably would have left with nothing...or a man's t-shirt from another part of the mall.

Jocelyn Quivers
04-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, I know I'm often the cause of my own fears when shopping. Right now I'm at the point where I still get nervous even if my wife is with me. But I am getting more confident. You should seen how nervous I was 10 years ago trying to buy women's clothes:eek: Jocelyn

Gina_darling
04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Well done! It is a big step at first isn't it. It is easy to forget how hard it was the more you progress. Now that you have done it once and found it ok you'll go again, and again until your bank balance tells you otherwise! Have fun shopping! Next get someone to go with you and make a day of it, then progress to en femme but go at your pace!

Gina xx