PDA

View Full Version : trying to upload a pdf file about email going around military

michelleupnorth
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Im not sure if this will show or not. If it does I'll add more comments if it doesn't I'll try again

michelleupnorth
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Ok it's not the best but the email is about as hurtfull as it gets and it is common practice in the military. CTV news just did a story on it and now that it is very public are they going to investigate. Sure makes it hard to transition while serving. Here is the CTV NEWS article

Satirical report offends top military officials
Updated Fri. Apr. 20 2007 10:58 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A satirical email circulating through the Canadian military has angered veterans and top officials, who say it's offensive and in poor taste.

"From the perspective of really looking at this type of humour going around, it's really inappropriate," Brig.-Gen. Guy Thibault told CTV News.

The "Hurt Feelings Report" asks soldiers to answer such questions as "skirt size," and tells them to "dry your eyes again, you pathetic excuse for a man."

Among the symptoms soldiers can check off for hurt feelings are "emotional shock" and "sat in corner and cried for my mummy."

It also lists reasons for complaining, such as "I have woman-like hormones" and "I am a crybaby."

The fake report apparently originated in Australia.

Sean Bruyea, a Gulf War veteran who suffered post-traumatic stress, did not find the email funny.

"The joke was completely lost on me. It was offensive," he said.

He added the email shows "a culture in the military that still views disabilities, especially psychological disabilities, as trivial, as unimportant and as something to be made fun of."

One master corporal in Trenton, Ont. emailed the report to 15 other soldiers, but said he now regrets hitting the send button.

"It started as a joke," he said. "I didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm sorry."

A spokesperson for Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor initially said the email was not an issue because it came from Australia. But later the military said soldiers should not circulate potentially offensive messages, and will look into the report.

CaptLex
04-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow . . . some joke. :thumbsdn:

Siobhan Marie
04-21-2007, 11:12 AM
That's awful. I wouldn't have found it funny either.

huge :hugs: and *cuddles*

Anna Marie x

michelleupnorth
04-21-2007, 12:16 PM
sure does make it difficult coming out without fear of prosecution. The person who sent it to me is 3 ranks higher than me. They may say that they are ok with it and that they won't discriminate but come on we all know better.

AmberTG
04-21-2007, 12:51 PM
At least you're not in the U.S. military, coming out is a quick way to early discharge. The Veteran's Administration usually handles it very well but the active military does not.