PDA

View Full Version : Waxing health questions

jjjjohanne
02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
I am contemplating getting my legs waxed. Are there any hygene issues to concern myself with? What should I know before going? Is $45 for the whole leg a good price?

racquel
02-21-2005, 09:43 PM
jjjjohanne I'm a strong proponent of waxing but I cannot say what a good price would be.I do myself,my wife and have never had a problem.
The cost here in vancouver is 12.98 for a large jar that will do my entire body once,the wife's legs and underarms three times.

Steffie
02-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Hi jjjjohanne,

I have been getting waxed for some years now and have found it to be better than shaving for many reasons. I shaved my legs a few times in the first instance but grew tired of them being like sandpaper again within days

So once I decided to get them waxed I quickly got hooked on the feeling of them being silky smooth for at least the first few weeks. I now get waxed on average every 5-6 weeks and have my whole body done each time. There are some drawbacks with ingrown hairs which you also get with waxing but I find the benifits far outweigh the disadvantages. There are a number of products on the market to deal with this though and the one I use now is very good.

As far as price goes though I pay around $75 AUD for most of my body but I suppose it depends on where you live. You will find that it can be a bit uncomfortable the first few times depending on hair growth but as time goes on you will get used to it and even relax like I do when having it done as it's about the only time I get to sit lay around and do nothing hehe :D

If you want my opnion the go for it babe, as far as health issues I have not encountered any yet apart from ingrowns.

Regards

Steffie :)

jjjjohanne
02-22-2005, 06:31 AM
Thank you for the help. You know, I haven't even considered doing it myself! I have been planning on going to a nail salon and having it done. It never crossed my mind.... How common is the ingrown hair issue?

Tamara Croft
02-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Ingrowing hairs from waxing is very common. Your therapist should tell you how to avoid this..... if she doesn't....(she should!!!) you should exfoliate your legs at least once a week. This removes dead skin cells which form over the hairs as they start to grow back, causing them to grow under the skin. You should also use a non oil based mosturiser (oil based blocks the pores) to keep the skin from drying out.

Also for at least 24 hours, do NOT put on stockings, tights (anything tight on the legs) or any perfumed products, this can cause an infection. If you need anymore advice.... just ask :)

Tamara x

jjjjohanne
02-23-2005, 07:03 AM
How do you exfoliate?

Tamara Croft
02-23-2005, 12:38 PM
How do you exfoliate?

Dampen the area with water, rub the exfoliant into the skin for a few minutes and then rinse off. Make sure you moisturise the area to replenish it.

Tamara x