PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Girls!

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I had a talk with my mom last night, and she has come leaps and bounds as far as accepting goes (which is amazing because she was accepting from when I first told her). We talked about a lot of things, and when I asked her about the possibility (in the future) of not having to keep it hidden from her and my dad, she said there may come a time eventually where I can be dressed around them and none of us feel uncomfortable about it. Currently, the thought of this kind of turns my stomach, but I also know it would be great to reach that point.

My mom also said that my dad is accepting but slightly uncomfortable. She says with him, I have to take the lead and start the conversations. So that's what I'm going to do. For the time being, my mom says it's a good idea to keep my clothes and laundry out of their sight, but she thinks there is a definite future that goes beyond this being strictly an activity that I have to keep out of their sight.

As far as telling my sister goes, that hasn't happened yet, and my mom recommends I talk to my counsellor about a good way to go about it first. She also says that when it happens, she and probably my dad can be present. My main concern with my sister is her discretion, whether or not I can count on her to keep it a secret. Having my parents help with the talk would underscore the importance of this remaining a secret.

So, yeah, I just thought I'd update you all and let you know how one of your youngest online sisters is doing at home. Cheers to all!

EmmaJane TS
04-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow,

Awesome Jess I'm so happy for you:happy: ! Just how young are you hun?

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm nineteen.

christiecd
04-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Good job Jessica! How old is your sister?

I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to tell my family that I dress!

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 12:13 PM
My sister is 22, going to be 23 this summer.

Kristen Marie
04-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I think your sister might have an easier time with it than your folks. If you can find the right time and place, you might find a strong ally. Sisters can be amazing.

There are a number of times I wish I had told my mom or aunt about my dressing and still regret it to this day. I wish you the best. Sounds like you are headed in positve direction. Well done.

NewBetty
04-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Jessica,
This is such terrific news! I know that you've been concerned a lot about it, but you forged ahead and the reactions seem so positive. Way to go,girl!

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm really happy with how things are shaping up since I first started coming out. I couldn't have come this far without all you in my corner. :hugs:

MJ
04-21-2007, 05:08 PM
if mum and dad know then why hide who you are, just be open about it you will be fine

Nyana
04-21-2007, 09:57 PM
grats!!

IM very happy for you Jessica!

Always fun to see another young girl having great moments!!

deniedtoo
04-21-2007, 10:01 PM
It's so great to hear when someone can reach an understanding with their family. Great job, and congratulations :bw:

One step done!

Denied

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 10:21 PM
if mum and dad know then why hide who you are, just be open about it you will be fine

Well I talked to my dad today, I came to realize that he's not nearly to the point my mom is at. I trust he will work with it, but for the time being Jessica is still largely a "closet case," just to keep everyone comfortable. I had no problem telling my mom about my latest purchase when I talked to her last night, but my dad said that given the choice, he'd rather not know.

Eventually I'm sure everything will work out, and if it not, I won't be living at home forever. Anyway, I am very lucky to have parents that are as accepting as they are.

Barb Valentine
04-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Good for you Jess
It's nice that your Mother and Father know
But I don't think your Father is accepting
I think it could be *Not My Boy* attitude
Your sister I think will still love you no matter what
:hugs:

Valerie Nicole
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
My dad is more accepting than you might think, and I know he is working on it and will be more accepting in the future. I told him that what I want is to stop discussing it in the abstract and make it a more concrete part of all of our lives. With my mom, that will be relatively easy. With my dad it will be a challenge. My sister might have a hard time understanding at first, and will be upset with me when he finds/figures out that I've been borrowing her clothes for so long, but eventually I'm sure she would come to understand and accept.

Nyana
04-21-2007, 11:21 PM
My sister might have a hard time understanding at first, and will be upset with me when he finds/figures out that I've been borrowing her clothes for so long, but eventually I'm sure she would come to understand and accept.

yeah that might be tricky :P

LOL

But i think you are in a good way!!

racquel
04-22-2007, 12:43 AM
That is good news.Best of luck with your sister.My parent's were a lot like your's when I told them.Mom was slow but is now o.k with it.Dad was ok with it but didn't want to see it or talk about it,and my sister has never spoken of it again and it's been 44 years since I told her.+?

trannie T
04-22-2007, 01:56 AM
Congratulations! It must have taken a lot of courage to come out to your family. I'm glad things turned out well. You rock girl!

Suzie S.
04-22-2007, 04:57 AM
Jessica, I'm so glad to hear things went so well for you. It takes a lot of courage to do this. You sound wiser beyond your years! :happy: You seem to be taking a very mature approach to this, and I'm sure things will work out well. Keep us posted! :hugs:

Joy Carter
04-22-2007, 05:07 AM
Just one more step closer to being your self. Good luck with your sister.:hugs:

Angie G
04-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Jessica that is good news you go girl and good luck with you sister hun :hugs:
Angie

Valerie Nicole
04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks to everyone's positive responses. I bring you all an update. My parents have discovered my shaved legs. I hadn't been keeping it from them, but I hadn't just told them either. My dad told my mom he was suspicious, and she asked me about it. I gave her a straight and honest answer. Here's what blew me away, she started giving me more advice. She said if I want to keep shaving that's fine, but it might get noticed in the summer months. So she actually recommended an alternative, opaque skin-coloured tights, some of which can apparently look pretty realistic.

So yeah, mom is definitely accepting, and I know my dad will be too if I give him time.