PDA

View Full Version : Drag Kings and gender fluidity!!

Felix
04-23-2007, 01:42 PM
We watched a documentary last night that we have both watched before, it's such a good one that I could watch it over and over. It was about a group of drag Kings. Now here in the Uk ya mainly hear about drag queens so this is brilliant. The group was touring and even going to the deep south in the states to open peoples minds to transgender and the fluidity of gender. The first time I saw this I was really excited by it and I remember even then Yachica saying I bet you would like to look like them. She didn't mean when they were in drag so much as how they looked as themselves. I was :o cos this was a good couple of years ago. I did say well yeah I like the look a lot and I think I tried to bind then but didn't really manage it so put it one side.
These gender fluid people were incredible one of them was on 'T' but explained how he wanted to have all the benifits of 'T' but didn't feel the need for surgery he was like bringing his body in line with his mind. I was like wow! This is what I've been tryin to explain to you Babe! That is how I feel except this guy was lucky he had small breasts and didn't feel the need for surgery. I do feel the need. It was great really cos it kinda explained my queerness too in some small way to her. We watch a lot of gender type programs together and quite a lot of sex change ones whether MtF or FtM. Although there are far more MtF than FtM.
The show these people put on is amazing and they do the drag thing excellently!! You might know of the group in the states there are 4 of them I think and they tour. The chinese trans guy was like Wow his voice was well deep and he said when he started taking 'T' he filled out. He also said that he realized that he was attracted to men. He was the only one who was on hormones as far as I can remember the others were more about expressing their masculinities. Has anyone else seen this documentary? I wanna watch it again :hugs:

Taylor105
04-23-2007, 01:49 PM
I've not heard of it but it sounds interesting. I got to see that show on MSNBC last night and it was really good. I love when they have transgender stuff on t.v. I feel like the more info we get out there the more the general public will start to understand and hopefully accept.

bi_weird
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
These gender fluid people were incredible one of them was on 'T' but explained how he wanted to have all the benifits of 'T' but didn't feel the need for surgery he was like bringing his body in line with his mind.
That's interesting. Kinda cool to know that I'm not a total weirdo for considering this. Everyone seems to be all about a full transition, which I don't want, but I've considered T because I'd like to look (and feel) more masuline.
But yes, sounds like a nifty show - track it down for us.

pocoyo
04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Aww glad it helped u explain things Felix :) That's cool.

That's interesting. Kinda cool to know that I'm not a total weirdo for considering this. Everyone seems to be all about a full transition, which I don't want, but I've considered T because I'd like to look (and feel) more masuline.
But yes, sounds like a nifty show - track it down for us.

Actually there are quite a few people that don't fully transition, some feel better just taking hormones. (I'm too tired and weird-mooded to make much sense hre sorry). There are like lots of different stages of transition and, like Felix said... gender fluidity... it's just ... whatever makes you as an individual feel comfortable and happy that matters :happy:

Felix
04-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi Bi :hugs: ya not alone hun definitely not cos I really related to those people especially the one who was takin hormones and the reasons behind it. So ya not alone :hugs:

Hi Pocs and thanx. That program was old like a lot of stuff we get them later I don't know if I would be able to track it cos of that. Sorry peeps :sad: xx Felix

happyfish
04-24-2007, 02:19 PM
That sounds like a really cool documentary, Felix. I wish I could have seen it, but if you can't track it down that's cool. Drag kings are awesome. There's a troop of them here and I go with my girlfriend every month.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to fully transition. Sometimes I don't know if I even want to take T, because I really love my singing voice and don't know if I want to give it up. So you're definately not alone. :hugs:

pocoyo
04-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Sometimes I don't know if I even want to take T, because I really love my singing voice and don't know if I want to give it up. So you're definately not alone. :hugs:

Abraxas has said the same thing before about his voice.

I've thought about that too. I'm a singer (well was before I was ill) but... I think I prefer my singing voice as a male singing voice anyway. I pitch shift it down a couple semitones (anyone that's seen my proper youtube account will know what I'm on about lol) which makes me sound male, and I actually prefer what I sound like as a boy. So I'm really lucky there that I'm not really worried about losing my female singing voice.

Even though I can sing "like a girl" I always feel like I'm putting it on... it's an act, its fake. My old singing teacher at college even said to me "No that's not how we sing.. that's how MEN sing...."

I was watching one of my singing videos (me as a boy) with mum last night actually and it secrtly made me really upset because my voice doesn't really sound so male like that in real life :( (I'm emotional at the moment anyway hehe.)

Felix
04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Happyfish nope we are not alone it's a good feeling :D I wonder if that troop you watch is the same one! One was like Chinese/American, one was black, the others were white. Sorry didn't know how to put it so no disrespect meant here. Think one was called Tony. Drat need to know more I think I will try to find out more. I'll llet ya know if I find anythin xx Felix :hugs:

false_dichotomy
04-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't want to fully transition. Sometimes I don't know if I even want to take T, because I really love my singing voice and don't know if I want to give it up. So you're definately not alone. :hugs:

Yeah, I have a good "female" singing voice too. However, there's something about hearing a man sing that gives me such P-envy! Oh I get so jealous of male singers' voices. :Angry3: I would rather be able to sing like that than to sing all pretty-like, if I had to choose between the two. At the same time, I hope that even on T I will still be a tenor. I don't know why. I feel like I would be pissed if I could no longer do the parts I'm used to doing... [/rambly]

Am I alone in all of that?

Felix
04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok Dudes I've found it the addy is www.imageout.org/2004/program01.htm Omg! they are there all on the front page have a look they were so cool!!! xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
04-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Ok Dudes I've found it the addy is www.imageout.org/2004/program01.htm (http://www.imageout.org/2004/program01.htm) Omg! they are there all on the front page have a look they were so cool!!! xx Felix :hugs:
Page not found felix

pocoyo
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I have a good "female" singing voice too. However, there's something about hearing a man sing that gives me such P-envy! Oh I get so jealous of male singers' voices. :Angry3: I would rather be able to sing like that than to sing all pretty-like, if I had to choose between the two. At the same time, I hope that even on T I will still be a tenor. I don't know why. I feel like I would be pissed if I could no longer do the parts I'm used to doing... [/rambly]

Am I alone in all of that?

Hehe no! I also get very sad hearing male voices.

Which is why it is so lovely that going on T makes your voice break! WHEW.

Also.. not weird wanting to sing the same parts! Nothin wrong with a male tenor lol I was a tenor in a singing group at college too :D

My main style of singing is rock anyway and I naturally sing like a guy just a bit too high lol (which is why when I pitch shift it things click into place for me!) But also musical theatre I'd to be in professionally. But with my guy voice... it just doesn't feel right pursuing those things as a girl.

And yeah I get sad watching other dudes singing & dancing on stage knowing I could do it as good.

Felix
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I did a google search and just put in drag kings in the USA and it brought the page list up its near the top of the list and its drag kings touring in the USA xx Felix :hugs:

Felix
04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Ok it was from a film festival called Image out 2004. It's called Drag Kings On Tour by Sonia ****sky

Drag Kings on Tour
Sonia ****sky, Canada-USA, 2004, Video, 82 minutes.

“Yes, we are deconstruction workers. We are exposing unfounded bedrocks that bed us to one sex, that wed us to one gender. We are overturning those stones, we are throwing them back. We are making a revolution, a gender evolution.”

– from gender game co-written by Neeve (Pat Riarch) and Alix Olson

Does this help any xx Felix :hugs:

pocoyo
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
http://www.llgff.org.uk/films_details.php?FilmID=266

?!

happyfish
04-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Felix: Naw, the troop I'm watching (and actually joining) is a local gig. I don't think they're really well known outside of the city, or even just the GBLT scene here. Pretty sure there's never been a movie on them, 'cause I'm sure they would have said something.
FD: I get that feeling sometimes. Like, when I just started thinking about trans stuff I went swing dancing with my friends and there was this song where a guy was singing blues all low and...I don't know...just, guy-ish. And I totally moped the whole song because I couldn't sing like that. Still, I dunno if I'm patient enough to wait for my voice to settle if I take T. When I sing it always makes me feel somewhat better, and if I couldn't hit pitches I think I'd just cry. Kind of sad, I know. We'll see.
Yeah, I'd want to be a tenor. Can't see me being bass anyway, I'm such a scrawny thing.
Pocs: Great, now I *really* want to see this video. Wonder if I can find it on youtube. *wanders off*

Laurie909
04-25-2007, 03:20 AM
My main style of singing is rock anyway and I naturally sing like a guy just a bit too high lol (which is why when I pitch shift it things click into place for me!) But also musical theatre I'd to be in professionally. But with my guy voice... it just doesn't feel right pursuing those things as a girl.

Male signing voice? Is there really such a thing? Does anyone really believe that Michael Jackson and Barry White sound alike?

pocoyo
04-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Male signing voice? Is there really such a thing? Does anyone really believe that Michael Jackson and Barry White sound alike?

Well I'll record you a video of me singing as a girl, then me singing as a boy... then you tell me ;)

Haha but seriously, yes there is such a thing... well ok then, there is such thing as sounding like a grown up male rather than a little boy.

(I know what you mean though... and some male singers sound like women, and some women singers sound like men!)