PDA

View Full Version : How far can I get away with growing my hair?

sandcastle
04-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I've been taking advantage of my recent redundancy to let my hair grow (see my profile picture). I've also been using conditioner, blow-drying and styling it with mousse as prettily as I can. The feel of it on my neck and back is intoxicating.

I'd love to have it at least twice this length, but I fear it would probably mean job interviewers would rule me out because of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions about work and feminine hair?

I'd really wish I had long and beautiful hair, but though my SO says she quite likes long hair, each week she is telling me I should have a trip to the hairdressers. I never know how much she suspects about my vain side.

Love,
Sandra the overdue.:straightface:

Carin's Wife GG
04-28-2007, 12:14 AM
I've been taking advantage of my recent redundancy to let my hair grow (see my profile picture). I've also been using conditioner, blow-drying and styling it with mousse as prettily as I can. The feel of it on my neck and back is intoxicating.

I'd love to have it at least twice this length, but I fear it would probably mean job interviewers would rule me out because of it.

Any thoughts or suggestions about work and feminine hair?

I'd really wish I had long and beautiful hair, but though my SO says she quite likes long hair, each week she is telling me I should have a trip to the hairdressers. I never know how much she suspects about my vain side.

Love,
Sandra the overdue.:straightface:

just ponytail it for work situations.

Louise (Carin's wife)

Jennifer_G_2
04-28-2007, 12:31 AM

Louise (Carin's wife)

I agree, ponytail it.

Jen

trannie T
04-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Wigs are easier to get than good jobs. Get the job first then see what you can do with your hair.

noname
04-28-2007, 03:12 AM
blow dry your hair! That damages your hair. If you really want to grow your hair out, don't get it cut, unless it looks really really raggety. (sp?) As for the job interviews, that could be tough. If the sides are long enough you could pull it back and pony tail it for interviews. In that respect you at least stand a chance.

Myself, my hair can't grow fast enough. I haven't cut my hair since mid Dec. and it grows so slow argh...

Nadine
04-28-2007, 03:54 AM
There's nothing wrong with your hair! It should be fine for job interviews.

Shelly Preston
04-28-2007, 04:21 AM
It should not really affect your job prospects for most interviews

This may of course depend on the job but the will be looking for skills,ability and smart appearance
You can still be smart witha ponytail.
They may also think you have someting extra because you have the confidence to have a pony tail :)

Angie G
04-28-2007, 04:45 AM
I've seen a SA at Wal-mart with hair 1/2 way down his back, my hair will cover my ears so go for it babe:hugs:
Angie

misty18
04-28-2007, 04:58 AM
i tyhinkk that your hairs is a lovely lenght, and would love to have it that lenght

Ermintrude
04-28-2007, 05:04 AM
I've had long hair for years, and it doesn't seem to have hurt my career (I've worked for five different companies in the last nine years). I think Shelly_P has it about right. I do pony tail mine.

I'm starting to suffer from one of the side-effects of the Y chromosome, though - my hairline is beginning to recede. I'd say grow it while you still can. :)

Charleen
04-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Cut my hair 7 years ago when I moved and knew I was going to be job seeking. Haven't cut my hair since. I've had 3 jobs in this town and nobody cares, guess I'm lucky as there are alot of reenactors around so long hair isn't as rare around here as other places. I do keep it in a 'tail most times.

sandcastle
04-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Louise (Carin's wife)

I last went to the hairdresser's in December and it's not yet long enough to tie it back. Oh dear, looks like I'll just have to leave it for another month :happy: .

I recently got my SO to help me dye my hair (going grey in places). Invaluable for job interviews. Very happy. Shame Sandra can't ask for her help with anything else!

All comments gratefully received.
Sandra.

ErikaLeigh
04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
I have had long hair since I was a teen. I made the mistake of cutting it off ONCE, and will never do it again. My hair is now down to my lower back, and I just tie it back in a ponytail when I work. Most places dont care anymore if you have long hair, as long as its kept neat.

sandcastle
04-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I love all these positive replies.

I find looking in the mirrored wall while I sit in the swivel chair very strange - one second I see my mother's face in front of me, the next second it may be my father's. This effect goes as my hair begins to dry - doesn't happen at home.

Love,
Sandra. :rose2:

kimberly_f37
04-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I been a long hair freak since I was a Kid and I like my long hair ! I started about 3 year ago while at work and I work with Machine, where Long hair don't belong but with the shop closing it made it alittle easyer to grow ! and besides I worked for my Father at the time and that helped..

Pony Tail It!!! A Nice Pony Tail goes A Long Way !!!

Have A Great Day Girls!! :hugs:

Kim

Tamera
04-28-2007, 10:31 AM
1. Depending on the job will depend on your hair growth.
2. Depending on your "genes" will depend on how much hair you will have in the long run:heehee:

But all kidding aside. The job you get will have a big impact on how long to have your hair.
LOL
Tamera

Jammie Lyann
04-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I would love to have hair on my head again. bald up front so I keep it about 1/4" long at all times, other than that wish all the rest of my hair would dissapear,
Ivey

sandcastle
04-28-2007, 02:50 PM
It would be nice to be able to tell my hairdresser how I'd really like my hair to look (and why).

But then, even GGs rarely seem to get exactly the style & cut from their stylist that they've asked for. :happy:

Sandra

Lisa Golightly
04-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I have long hair... It really wouldn't bother me if I interviewed someone with long hair... Simple fact is I want the best, not the most corporate looking.

Lilith Moon
04-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I have had shoulder length hair for many years. It was down to my waist at one point. People just accepted it as some sort of hippie throwback thing although I'm sure it had a negative impact on my career. I'm now thinning/balding and wear wigs when I dress....no way can I achieve a look that is as convincing as my own luxuriant head of hair. As others have said....wear a pony tail and enjoy your own hair while you can.

natasha
04-28-2007, 10:45 PM
After years of letting my hair grow to shoulder length during my twenties and thirties, and then cutting it because "it was more professional" looking. I've decided the heck with that and am gonna let it grow as long as I can get away with. I never got to ponytail length but that is my goal now. I told my wife that I was going to do it and all she said is dont make it look like a mullet. Do I go to a salon? And what do I tell the stylist? "Make it look as feminine as possible"? Or do I just say let the back go and trim the bangs?

TerriM
04-28-2007, 10:56 PM
My work place prohibits me from growing my hair long. But I have a great hairdresser who cuts my hair in a way that she can style it both in guy and gal mode. I havent worn a wig in years and I love getting my hair done in the salon.
Yours Terri

Carin
04-28-2007, 11:10 PM
After years of letting my hair grow to shoulder length during my twenties and thirties, and then cutting it because "it was more professional" looking. I've decided the heck with that and am gonna let it grow as long as I can get away with. I never got to ponytail length but that is my goal now. I told my wife that I was going to do it and all she said is dont make it look like a mullet. Do I go to a salon? And what do I tell the stylist? "Make it look as feminine as possible"? Or do I just say let the back go and trim the bangs?

When I started to grow my hair, every hair stylist told me that my hair was too fine to grow long. So I stopped going to the salon, and just let it grow for a long time. As soon as it was long enough to tie back, I did. After that it was easy. With a Ponytail most of the time, it does not matter how long it is after that. I have even had a few people ask me if I am an artist. Now I can go to a salon and tell them exactly how much I want trimmed and how. It is still thin, and recently I trimmed 5" to get a better proportion. It is still below my sholders

Carin's Wife GG
04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
When I started to grow my hair, every hair stylist told me that my hair was too fine to grow long. So I stopped going to the salon, and just let it grow for a long time. As soon as it was long enough to tie back, I did. After that it was easy. With a Ponytail most of the time, it does not matter how long it is after that. I have even had a few people ask me if I am an artist. Now I can go to a salon and tell them exactly how much I want trimmed and how. It is still thin, and recently I trimmed 5" to get a better proportion. It is still below my sholders

Couldn't resist, sorry!

Louise.

Peka TG
04-29-2007, 06:07 AM
I've had long hair for years. I just recently changed jobs and they hired me on the spot. It's not so much what you look like, as what your job skills are. Let it Grow.

xoxo
Peka

stephanie100
04-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Grow it girl i use wigs its the bald patch thats a give away