PDA

View Full Version : help needed - FTM Authors

Kieron Andrew
04-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Ok i know there are loads of books out there based around FTM issues.......what i wanna know is a list of FTM Authors......i.e Authors that identify as FTM rather than book titles written for FTM by non FTM people??

i want to comprise a list to give to someone.......i am mainly looking for US & UK FTM authors

Kieron Andrew
04-30-2007, 11:32 AM
James (Jameson) Green is local and writes a lot.
whoa that was quick lol

pocoyo
04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Dhillon Khosla is a cool dude :D!

Kieron Andrew
04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Dhillon Khosla is a cool dude :D!
hehee! had him at the top of the list :D

Wren
04-30-2007, 12:07 PM
ME!

hahah I'm not published yet, *deflate*

But FTM authors huh? I never really pay attention to the sex or gender of the author's that I read...you've sparked my attention.

CaptLex
04-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Matt Kailey, author of Just Add Hormones: http://www.mattkailey.com/Just%20Add%20Hormones.htm

Kieron Andrew
04-30-2007, 12:11 PM
you've sparked my attention.
hehe good then that means you'll look for me??

Felix
04-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Kieron Have ya heared of Sephen Whittle? He is a famous FtM in the Uk I think he is a professor of law in Manchester University he has written a few books I think xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
04-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Kieron Have ya heared of Sephen Whittle? He is a famous FtM in the Uk I think he is a professor of law in Manchester University he has written a few books I think xx Felix :hugs:
have i heard of stephen whittle you are joking right!! of course ive heard of stephen whittle - co founder of press for change!.....i met the dude last year at sparkle!!

Felix
04-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah he is amazing!! I met him about 7 years ago what a great bloke. I watched his documentary about his change it was amazing and inspiring xx Felix :hugs:

Siobhan Marie
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Matt Kailey, author of Just Add Hormones: http://www.mattkailey.com/Just%20Add%20Hormones.htm

Lex, you beat to it! I was going to suggest Matt Kailey. I've got Just Add Hormones and would recommend it to anyone be they MTF or FTM.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

Marlena Dahlstrom
05-01-2007, 02:05 AM
Another new book (http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1177460737162390.xml&coll=7)

Raised a woman, Portland writer Aaron Raz Link became a man -- a gay man -- at the age of 29.

At least, he initiated the hormonal and surgical processes to alter his appearance toward a form closer to the person he had always felt he was inside.

Because Link was trained as a scientist -- specifically, taxonomy, the science of naming things -- he is uniquely fit to analyze his unusual experience. It doesn't hurt that he's a beautiful writer as well as a thoughtful and witty one.

"What Becomes You" is nonfiction, he writes, and a memoir, but not autobiography: "It is a book about pieces that didn't fit the picture. As a result, the most confusing and difficult pieces play the largest roles."

Strictly speaking, he writes, there is no such thing as a "sex change operation"; there are rather lots of little surgeries that were developed for other reasons, such as for badly mutilated soldiers and infants and grown-ups whose bodies took an odd turn due to misbehaving hormones or cancer.

Link's analysis of his youthful fascination with movie monsters (they "were obviously the good guys"), of the Catch-22 of having to get himself diagnosed as mentally ill in order to qualify for the surgeries (legally speaking, "a mentally healthy person wouldn't want what I wanted"), and the absurdities of psychiatry and people's assumptions about gender roles, are all fascinating and well-handled.

"How come women write books analyzing male gender roles but get mad when men analyze female gender roles," he writes.

There's even a kind of punch line: After an early lifetime of hating to be laughed at, following his sex reassignment, Link went to clown school.

aethen
05-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I turned on the Gay Librarian Batsignal. Will let you know what I find.

Aethen

Dasein9
05-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Pat Califia

Kieron Andrew
05-02-2007, 09:03 AM
I turned on the Gay Librarian Batsignal. Will let you know what I find.

Aethen
the batsignal???? are we bats now and not pirates???:rolleyes:

Dasein9
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM

We pirated the batsignal.

Duh! Do try to keep up with the pillaging, Kieron.

aethen
05-02-2007, 07:54 PM

All librarians are a little batty, and I was signaling them! I'll run up the Jolly (gay?) Roger for you guys!

Aethen

Sharon
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
If you have any interest in serious fiction, I am currently making my way through an excellent novel, "Middlesex," written by Jeffrey Eugenides. It's not a how, what, or why work, but I find it very enlightening as well as entertaining. I'm sure you can find it on Amazon, which will provide a synopsis and, possibly, reviews.

mistunderstood
05-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Raven Kaldera.