PDA

View Full Version : Paper Accepted

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I wrote a paper and submitted it to a conference on gender in York, England. Just got the news -- It was accepted!!!

So, I'm looking into going to York in July.

pocoyo
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!

HE'S COMING TO ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

Flippin' well done and congratulations dude!! :^5:

Yaaay well DONE! :D :D :jumping:

John
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
woo!! That's cool man.

Felix
05-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Omg!! That is so cool Das well done would love to read ya paper Hun, that's so exciting :thumbsup: xx Felix :hugs: :hugs:

PS York is one hour from where I live xx

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
ok thats it i wanna go to York.....or i wanna kidnap Das and bring him here!!

How long will you be there dude!

Felix
05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Lol is it a race then, who can get there first well I'd have to get a bus or train, then again I'll probably be in work. It would be great to meet him :D xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm looking at 167 British pounds for the conference, accommodations, and meals. That's a good deal, right?

But... that doesn't mean a few of the boys can't come and kidnap me for an evening at the pub!

I'd love to come a day early or stay a day late, but have no idea how to find out about a place to stay.

Say, does York have an airport? How'm I going to travel once I get there?

Oi, can you tell I haven't been outside the States since I was 7?

Felix
05-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow a meet up that sounds great!! The price sounds good Das is it in the university? You will probably have to go to Manchester airport and get a train to York. xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Wow a meet up that sounds great!! The price sounds good Das is it in the university? You will probably have to go to Manchester airport and get a train to York. xx Felix :hugs:
manchester or east midlands?? then a train to york yuppers!

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks, Felix. Manchester, eh? Okay, I can do that.

Should probably arrive a day early anyway, so as to be able to adjust to the time zones. That means a cheap hotel.

Since I've never done this before, I'm thinking that it might be wise to go through a travel agent. One of my old students has a father who owns a travel agency and would probably give me a deal.

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Now, to bring...

A few packs of Oreos for Kieron, of course. What else will y'all want?

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Now, to bring...

A few packs of Oreos for Kieron, of course. What else will y'all want?
a small bottle of mtn dew just for my taste buds lol

Felix
05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah if ya know someone who can help ya with the accommodation that's a good idea. So do ya fancy a meet up then? I just said to Yachica how cool it would be :D xx Felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 12:44 PM
goes off to check train and coach times

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't know if they'll let me bring liquid, but I'll try, Kieron!

Yes, I'm thinking a day early will be a good idea. So, you two have to let me know whether Manchester or East Midlands is closer to you. It'd be great to see y'all!!!

Felix
05-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Well Manchester is nearer to me than East Midlands and it is nearer to York maybe a couple of hours on the train to York xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Are trains expensive in England?

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know if they'll let me bring liquid, but I'll try, Kieron!

Yes, I'm thinking a day early will be a good idea. So, you two have to let me know whether Manchester or East Midlands is closer to you. It'd be great to see y'all!!!
manchester is closer to me but you'll go straight to york when you land wont you?

if not you could spend a night in manchester and it would be easier for me to get to.......a night out in manchester hehe....maybe it should be 2 days earlier to recover lol

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Can an English university accept a bank draught from an American bank?

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmmm... I think I'll have to get your towns and have the travel agent figure it out for me.

One good thing -- I'm short, so not traveling in First Class won't be too much of a pain.

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:00 PM
you'll have to email em about that, we wont know the answer to that, but i suspect no......Travellers cheques?

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Hmmm... I think I'll have to get your towns and have the travel agent figure it out for me.

One good thing -- I'm short, so not traveling in First Class won't be too much of a pain.
but Felix lives near to york i live like 4hrs away......just get to york and we should come to you

Felix
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Omg a night out in Manchester haven't done that in a few years!! I don't know about that the bankers draft ya would have to email them and ask xx Felix :hugs:

ps what is the date of ya conference?

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Okay. It's not like I can drive there, anyway. You guys do everything backward in that regard! ;)

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Omg a night out in Manchester haven't done that in a few years!! I don't know about that the bankers draft ya would have to email them and ask xx Felix :hugs:

ps what is the date of ya conference?
slight off topic, you should come over to sparkle Felix when its on.....3days of nights out on canal st (gay village) Manchester

ok taking the thread back on topic Das ive sent you a PM to try to help you out bud

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
It's going to be in July, so there's plenty of time to plan. A good thing, too, since I've still got to get a passport.

Maybe I'll just use my Visa debit card, since they'll be able to use it to do the conversions.

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:07 PM
It's going to be in July, so there's plenty of time to plan. A good thing, too, since I've still got to get a passport.

Maybe I'll just use my Visa debit card, since they'll be able to use it to do the conversions.
visa is a good idea! worldwide :D

Visa is my friend when i travel :D

Felix
05-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry Hun the trains can be pricey but it depends what type of ticket ya get. If ya goin to stay in Manchester I shouldn't think it would be too costly to York maybe £20-£30 return but no more than £40 I shouldn't think and that would be return. xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Received and replied, but I forgot one thing:

Thanks!

Right now I'm just kind of jittery with excitement. I'm sure that it'll get easier in a bit.

Felix
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Hope it's not the first week in July then cos won't be available and wouldn't want to miss the chance to meet ya Hun and Kieron of course xx Felix :hugs:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Sorry Hun the trains can be pricey but it depends what type of ticket ya get. If ya goin to stay in Manchester I shouldn't think it would be too costly to York maybe £20-£30 return but no more than £40 I shouldn't think and that would be return. xx Felix :hugs:

I can do that. It's about comparable to here, and the trains probably travel faster. On the East Coast, they sometimes have to stay at 5 miles per hour!

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh, noooooo!!!!

It's 3. - 5. July.

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh, noooooo!!!!

It's 3. - 5. July.
awwww! looks like i really got to make an effort to get to you if Felix cant make it!

btw with that short of a stay, boy is your jetlag thingy gonna be so messed up, you'll just be getting used to it as you've got to turn around and go home lol:heehee:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Yeh, but if I'm spending most of it with academics, no-one will probably notice! ;)

And... I just noticed that I've got to teach a 5 hour lecture on 7. July. So no staying after the conference!

kerrianna
05-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Yay Das! Congratulations on not only getting your paper into the conference but scoring a trip to England too! Me jealous! :p Too bad you can't make a longer time out of it. I'd go nuts just touching down and going back so soon. I know you'll make the most of your time there. Hope you get to meet some of the boys! (hahaha, Poc's reply is 'Arggggggh!' - It's ok Pocs, I'm sure Das won't wreck the place :heehee: )

Any chance we get to see the paper sometime?
Any chance we'd understand any of it? :heehee:

WTG dude! :hugs: :love:

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Any chance we'd understand any of it? :heehee:

i think you know the answer to that lol

CaptLex
05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Green with envy, but very happy for you. Congrats! And if you get to meet Kieron, you have to give him a big wet sloppy kiss from me. :devil:

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Green with envy, but very happy for you. Congrats! And if you get to meet Kieron, you have to give him a big wet sloppy kiss from me. :devil:
quit with the sloppy kisses will you!!

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Once it's finished, I could maybe send it to a few of you. I hope you'd be able to understand most of it; I'm very much against Academic Gobbledygook Jargonese.

Yes, I said "Once it's finished...!" Right now, it's about twice as long as it ought to be! Yoiks!

CaptLex
05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
quit with the sloppy kisses will you!!
*whining* But those are my favorite . . . so you get Oreos, Mountain Dew and one of these . . . :kiss: or Das won't be allowed back in the country. :heehee:

Felix
05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Lol I could only do one night in a B&B prob cos always skint but would try to have the cash for one night would be good if we was all in the same place too it would make sense xx felix :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
*whining* But those are my favorite . . . so you get Oreos, Mountain Dew and one of these . . . :kiss: or Das won't be allowed back in the country. :heehee:
and quit with the puppydog whine too!!:rolleyes:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Lol I could only do one night in a B&B prob cos always skint but would try to have the cash for one night would be good if we was all in the same place too it would make sense xx felix :hugs:

I don't mind sharing if y'all don't. But I snore.

pocoyo
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
(hahaha, Poc's reply is 'Arggggggh!' - It's ok Pocs,

Hehe 'cos I was excited.

I looked up how far away York is straight away when I read Das' 1st post... but it's like 5 or more hours away from me :(
And seeing as travelling 1 - 2 hours is very stressful for me right now, I don't think I'll get to meet Das yet :(

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't think I'll get to meet Das yet :(

Well.... farts!

Darn it!

I would've given you more than one sloppy wet kiss from the Cap'n.

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I would've given you more than one sloppy wet kiss from the Cap'n.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dasein9
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, you complain, Kieron!

CaptLex
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, you complain, Kieron!
Yes, but he secretly likes it. :heehee:

Felix
05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I got mixed up we don't break off school till the 20th July so if those dates are on a weekend it may be possible for me xx Felix :hugs:

Question Mark
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey, cool! Not being an Englishman, I can't help with currency or anything, but I can congratulate you. Are you going to give a speech?

aethen
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Congrats on the paper being accepted! That's impressive!

FWIW, when I was researching flights to England and Scotland last summer, I found that direct flights from Newark to Manchester were about the best deal you can get in the NYC area by a few hundred dollars.

Aethen

kerrianna
05-02-2007, 02:52 AM
I got mixed up we don't break off school till the 20th July so if those dates are on a weekend it may be possible for me xx Felix :hugs:

Really? You make the poor kids slave til July 20th?

And THAT'S my BIRTHDAY! (:heehee: Pocs, this is how you do it....) July 20th! OMG the poor kids. Well, at least it will be a day to celebrate. (being my birthday and all :D )

Evert
05-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Das in York, Sparkle-thingy in Manchester, Now I definitly want to move to the other side of the sea... :(

But YAYYY for Dasboy! :hugs:
Lemme read! lemme read!! :D :D :D

And THAT'S my BIRTHDAY! ( Pocs, this is how you do it....) July 20th! OMG the poor kids. Well, at least it will be a day to celebrate. (being my birthday and all )

What about me, naked on your doorstep, wearing only a piece of giftwrapper, on your doorstep, as a birthday gift? :devil: *tease tease*

Kieron Andrew
05-02-2007, 07:40 AM
What about me, naked on your doorstep, wearing only a piece of giftwrapper, on your doorstep, as a birthday gift? :devil: *tease tease*
EVERT!!:rolleyes:

Evert
05-02-2007, 08:03 AM
EVERT!!:rolleyes:

Sorry :o

pocoyo
05-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Hahahaha!
Evert!!

And oi Kez shup cheeky girl :p

Dasein9
05-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Sorry, I lost track of time yesterday and had to run off.

Mark, yes, I'll be boring a roomfull of people by reading a paper to them and then answering difficult questions.

Aethen, thanks. I'll look into that.

Kerrianna, that's exactly one month after my birthday!

Evert, you can use my birthday as a rehearsal for Kerrianna's if you like.

Taylor105
05-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Congrats Das!!! I think you will probably be able to get the Mountain Dew for Kieron if you buy in inside the airport. That's the way it was the last time I travelled anyway. You had to get it in one of the shops or whatever. Anyway, have a great time!

kerrianna
05-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Kerrianna, that's exactly one month after my birthday!

Evert, you can use my birthday as a rehearsal for Kerrianna's if you like.

Hey cool Das, my younger brother's b'day is June 20th too. :hugs:

Don't know if Evert needs the practice, but it's not a bad idea. :p

Kimberley
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM

Hi Das,
Congrats on the paper.

Travel. I did Asia for a month and a half, and used only my ATM Debit card and for back up my VISA (which I never had to use.) You pay a pinch extra on exchange but it is cheaper than travellers cheques and a lot more convenient because you have 24 hour access and you dont need to carry a big wad of cash.

:hugs:
Kimberley