PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm pretty naive, just learned I have a mental disorder...

Michelle Ellis
05-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks to the show on MSNBC last nite, according to the American Psychiatric Association I have a mental disorder... :( I've always thought I've done my reseach, thoroughly in fact... but somehow I missed this one.

They said last nite that insurance companys use this as an excuse to deny HRT...

Well I'll be damned... :( this world really does suck...

M

Joy Carter
05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks to the show on MSNBC last nite, according to the American Psychiatric Association I have a mental disorder... :( I've always thought I've done my reseach, thoroughly in fact... but somehow I missed this one.

They said last nite that insurance companys use this as an excuse to deny HRT...

M

Well, you are in good company. :hugs:

Siobhan Marie
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, you are in good company.

You said it Joy.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

Kimberley
05-01-2007, 07:15 PM
This is exactly why I have always maintained that a diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder works against us. It minimalizes us at best. We have to be mentally healthy so we can realize we have a mental disorder in order to meet the HBSOC, It is a Catch-22. IF the APA EVER get their s**t together they will drop it (GID) from the DSM. It should have been gone on this release but somehow seemed to stay. No one knows why.

If the doctors could put it to the effect that SRS is a necessary corrective procedure that has nothing to do with mental issues would the insurance companies pay? But then the SOC couldnt be met.

Ohhhh my head hurts....

:hugs:
Kimberley

Teresa Amina
05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Well they can't deny my claim- I'm uninsured! :D
Cash on the barrelhead, the American Way. Good thing about Global Trade- you can get whatever you want from overseas. I wonder if those who would deny us access to helpful meds know this?

Priss
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok. Well, maybe not entirely ethical...

By the time I finally got insurance coverage, I had already transitioned complete with name change and an 'F' on the driver license. I had absolutely no qualms about putting down 'F' on the insurance forms. For that matter, once I got the DL and SSI changed, I never put down anything but an 'F'. Then of course, HRT is a perfectly acceptable prescription for any female...

I suppose that may be the point though. Maybe because I didn't have health coverage for so much of my life, that I was able to put down female from the get go, causing no real questions to be stirred up. I suppose if I'd had previous coverage or current coverage and transitioned whilest staying in the same job, things may very well have been different. As it was, I still payed out of pocket for hormones etc, for about 5 or 6 years before I got coverage. And while I was doing injectables, they usually wern't covered so I'd have to pay out of pocket for that too... Now days, a daily maintenance dose of Estrace is easily covered under insurance.

I still think that the best way to transition, is with a fully fresh start. New job, new place, new you... And when you get the opportunity, never put down anything but 'F', never tell management about anything, never come out to anyone you're not absolutely sure you can trust not to spread the information. If people read you and guess, that's ok... Just don't confirm anything for them. If you confirm suspicions that's when things will get uncomfortable again. You know, it all starts with the decision of just which bathroom you'll be allowed to use...

melissaK
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Well I'll be damned... :( this world really does suck...M

What? You thought it was gravity all this time? :^)

Hugs,
lissa

Marcie Sexton
05-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Well I be dog gone...I guess you're in good company...I'm one sick puppy too...

Shelly R
05-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, you are in good company. :hugs:

Darn, I,m really a nut case?

:hugs:
Shelly

MJ
05-05-2007, 08:12 PM
From one nut to another i did the same thing as priss , when i got my name change, my DL change over so was my gender tag. so after that i just show my drivers licence complete with the my gender tag " f " and everything else got change over, so i am a woman the good thing is i don't to do this again when i get my srs done...

Priss
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
The most difficult document to change, besides military documents of course (who refuse to change anything unless you still have some sort of connection with them), was the US Passport. I had to wait till after the surgery, which then with a statement from the surgeon that I actually had the surgery, was able to get a newly issued BC with the new name on it. Taking that to the passport office, enabled the change to 'F' on it.

I suppose that all this may become moot when it has to be done all over again the next time I renew my DL. With the Real ID act still in effect, and the fact that WA is going to be doing the "Enhanced ID" to facillitate with the upcoming Olympics, I'll probably have to utilize the new BC again. I don't expect any hiccups though. I was born in IN, and they don't actually put a birth marker on the BC. All they have of a gender indication is some sort of entry in a log book that they refuse to change without a court order to change it. Still, this should make any new ID a cinch. The more databases that get made, and the more records that are able to be searched, well who knows if it'll ever come back to haunt me.

If you're ex-military and you're going for a new job, don't put down military service if you don't have to. If you do have to, they'll of course ask for a DD-214 copy. Make sure that as few people see it as possible. Who really needs to see it but the head of HR anyway. If they have questions, you may as well answer them honestly and truthfully. Once you're in this position though, if you don't get the job, you'll never really know why. If you can hold out on providing the document however untill you're hired, then you're more likely to know the reason if you're suddenly out the door again prematurely. Tell em you lost it and have to send for a copy or something. You can always find it again after being hired.

Fortunately, most of the documents I had my name changed on took place before 9/11. I even went and had a new HS diploma issued with the new name and including HS records and transcripts... I have no idea how difficult it is to do all this now, but Iam sure it's only become more of a pain in the arse

Anyway, cover as much of the trail as you possibly can. If you're asked a question by someone who needs to know, answer it directly and in private. Never volunteer any information. If they need to know something let em ask... When it comes to co-workers, for the most part they don't really want to know anyway. It's generally too much information for them.

CaptLex
05-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I had to wait till after the surgery, which then with a statement from the surgeon that I actually had the surgery, was able to get a newly issued BC with the new name on it. Taking that to the passport office, enabled the change to 'F' on it.
I guess I shouldn't hold my breath that I'll get my passport changed then. :sad:

Shelly R
05-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I guess I shouldn't hold my breath that I'll get my passport changed then. :sad:

Hi Captlex,
Nope, not any time soon. The requirement that a surgeon needs to write a statement testifying to your having GRS, or a non-reversable surgery, precludes any kind of legal gender change, or birth certificate changes being made.
You might want to check my upcomming thread "Name changes and the Real ID Act". I will be covering some of the issues concerning the ID act. If enacted will only serve to complicate these matters even further. :Angry3:

Not a happy day
Love Shelly

CaptLex
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
The requirement that a surgeon needs to write a statement testifying to your having GRS, or a non-reversable surgery, precludes any kind of legal gender change, or birth certificate changes being made.
So . . . a "non-reversable surgery" could count towards getting my passport changed? Like say, top surgery? Or is that not considered non-reversable?

You might want to check my upcomming thread "Name changes and the Real ID Act". I will be covering some of the issues concerning the ID act. If enacted will only serve to complicate these matters even further. :Angry3:
I look forward to it, Shelly.

kerrianna
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM

M

Insurance companies suck. :Angry3:

They happily take your money, sometimes lean on you for it ("be a shame if anything happened...."), then when you have a legit claim they find every excuse in the book to deny you. That's been my experience and the experience of most people I know, including people who once worked in the business.

Sorry, sore point with me. :rant:

Shelly R
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Yes Captn. It may be possible. Depending the laws in your area. "Top surgery" can be considered a non-reversable surgical process just as an orchiectomy is a non-reversable surgery. Which may be used to fulfill the requirements for gender change.

CaptLex
05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Yes Captn. It may be possible. Depending the laws in your area. "Top surgery" can be considered a non-reversable surgical process just as an orchiectomy is a non-reversable surgery. Which may be used to fulfill the requirements for gender change.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, Shelly. :happy: