PDA

View Full Version : An interesting and insightful book

flogo920
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Highly recommended !!

Discovered and read Alice in Genderland, A Crossdresser Comes of Age; lessons-acceptance, and need to compromise with HIS life. This is by a trained psychiatrist who is also Alice. Much of this happens pre-internet.
This shows the need to be yet circumscribe it so it does not spill into his (male) life.

Hugs,

Flo

Kieron Andrew
05-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I have met Alice.....shes a nice woman :), although the book isnt really my cup of tea she is still a good author

Nicole
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
The reviews fill me with skepticism about her 'arrangement'. As a high-income provider, Alice can afford to buy herself a second life on the side, just as countless other wealthy men do with their mistresses. Is her situation really all that different? I am reserving final judgment until I read the book but am not optimistic that it represents a workable solution for most of us.

I realize that monogamy is not for everyone. My only concern is for Alice's wife. Sometimes those who seek fidelity and security get involved with people who influence them into settling for something less. Money, children, obligations, physical health... everything has the potential to shift one's values toward a grudging so-called 'acceptance'. I know a few wives of wealthy men who have made (or been forced into making) that choice. It rarely ends in happiness. And unlike their husbands, they are absolutely not allowed any action on the side.

I will keep the rest of my opinions to myself until I have read the book.

(and yes perhaps a small part of me feels envious of Alice's position... sue me) :D

ColleenCD
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Flo,

I have read the book also. It was well written though did seem to drag a bit... no pun intended. Alice seemed to really struggle with needing to be the woman in a relationship. While the family life was the normal day to day and Friday nights are the special evening out night, the marital situation would teter in any other relationship, but Alice's wife is EXTREMELY understanding and accepting if not over accepting. I did like the honesty in this book and the progression self discovery.

I truly enjoyed reading My Husband Betty. This was written from the wife's point of view. She is brutally and perfectly honest. It covers many areas of transgender and is very educational and insightful.

:2c:

Colleen

joann07
05-01-2007, 10:34 PM
I've hear about the book and read a short preview about it. Most of my fellow CDers have mixed reviews about it so I may just have to read it to get my own opinion.

I have read a book a called "The Emancipated Crossdresser" by Lacy Leigh and that is a great book. I was so inspired by it that I personally email Lacy to let her know that I enjoyed reading it.
The book goes over various topics, such as, Lacy's crossdressing experience, what is transgender, dealing with the spouse, how to walk, how to talk, breasforms, etc, etc. If you haven't read it, I strongly suggest it.
The book is not that long and, if you have lots of time to kill, can be read in a matter of hours.