PDA

View Full Version : Start taking Cabs (Smithsonian Adventure)

TxKimberly
05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
OK, so today I was in Maryland working and I managed to get the job done early. Hmmm . . . what ever shall I do? :-)
Anyone that has chatted with me much knows I'm both a Science and Sci Fi nerd, so when I found myself 1.5 hours from the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, I just had to make the trip. Wore my newest every day/every girl outfit and headed out the door! The drive was OK and not the nightmare I expected heading into the nations capital and I made it there about 1.5 hours before they closed.
I have lived all my life in small towns and generally avoid the city when I can because they tend to intimidate me. Imagine how fortunate I felt when I found an empty parking spot with a meter not a 100 yards from the museum! I took a U-turn, wheeled into the space, loaded up the meter and explored the museum! A quick internet search will tell you all about what I saw there so I wont give you a whole list here except for my favorites - the Wright brothers plane, the model of the Enterprise that was actually used for all of the original TV series, and the Pershing II missile I used to work on!
The whole time I toured the Museum I didn't get a single second look and just felt on top of the world that I was doing something so cool as Kim and it was going so well. So, the museum was closing and I was feeling on top of the world as I walked out . . . and discovered my car was gone! I kept walking back and forth thinking "Nah, I must be confused, maybe I'm on the wrong side of the building!". Nope, I wasn't on the wrong side of the building and no matter how hard I wished, my car did not appear. Took a real good look at the meter and discovered a sticker clearly saying that you were not allowed to part there during rush hour (yes, the hours I parked there).
Went back in to the museum and went to the security desk, told him of my screw up, and asked him to please tell me how to get my car back! This gentleman was VERY nice and sincerely helpful and kept calling me "sir". :-(
(as soon as I open my mouth all illusions are shot to hell)
For those of you that are thinking I should have taken this chance to educate him, forget it! When your that far up S%#t Creek, and someone is bending over backwards to give you a paddle, you don't quibble over "sir" or "Ma'am" lol. So he gives a phone number and an address and I head out to the street where the cabs are parked. I get one with a gentleman that speaks very poor English but he agrees to take me. Went the whole way without the air conditioning on. Considering my state of mind, the makeup and hair, this means my appearance is beginning to degrade. I see him spending almost as much time looking at me in the mirror as to where he is going.
Get to the company that towed my car and the manager leaves me standing outside in the heat for a good five minutes before he can be bothered to ask me what I want. This guy is clearly a "man's" man, and not in the least amused when he looks at my drivers license and figures out I'm not female.
Well the good news is my tools and my laptop are still there, for some reason the towing company did not or could not charge me, and "all" I owe is $100 to Washington DC that I can pay by internet.
This makes two serious incidents I've had involving cars while dressed and I'm thinking maybe I should consider taking cabs from now on!
You know the funny thing? Even having gone through all this junk with the car, I STILL feel that the day was a success and I enjoyed it. Go figure . . .

Kim

Billijo49504
05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Well Kim, Maybe a cab would be cheaper. But I think it stinks that they have stupid rules...BJ

5inchHeels
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Ugh, don't get me started on DC parking tickets. :Angry3:

It's great that you had a good time despite the towing and ticket. Next time you're in the area check out the new air and space museum near Dulles airport. It's amazing and well worth the drive ... especially en femme.

If you're ever in the city through the weekened there's a "Drag Brunch" every Sunday at Perry's (http://www.perrysadamsmorgan.com. :D

ColleenCD
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Kim

I like to walk around DC and take the Metro. Haven't tried the cabs. You look very passable, and I like your positive outlook on the situation.

Colleen

Wenda
05-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Great story!:thumbsup: Great Attitude:thumbsup: Go Girl:D

Nicole
05-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Enjoyed your adventure Kim! The SMITHSONIAN of all places, wow! Your car mishap puts you in the 2 out of 3 strikes category, so be careful. LOL in fact forget the cab because you need a chauffeur! ;)

Glad to hear that your laptop didn't walk off by itself! :eek:

Angie G
05-02-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't think I would have enjoyed the car part would have loved the museum
part :hugs:
Angie

uknowhoo
05-02-2007, 12:20 AM
When I first started reading your post, I was thinking "we should get together while you're in DC," but after reading about the tow (and your previous mishap with the truck), I think maybe I won't drive with you! :eek: :p

Seriously, I'm glad you got to enjoy the museum and that the tow incident didn't ruin the experience for you. Heck, you can think of it as a $100 confidence booster (?:o?).

Btw, 5" is right about the Air & Space Annex near Dulles. I'm sure you'd love it!!

Thanx 4 posting!

xoxo

T

Karren H
05-02-2007, 12:44 AM
hehehe..... That's is too funny!!! My wife and I get to DC every few years and discovered the same thing.... Only it was my brothers car that was toed.... The tow trucks lines up and start hauling them away... it's an auto ballett!! I love the Air and Space!!!

Well another great adventure!! Now I guess I'll have to hijack a bus full of senior citizens while enfemme to top that one!!! My adventure ended up being McDonalds and Walmart enfemme..... Sigh!! hehe

:D

Love Karren

susann_gardener
05-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Kim, I think you handled that verry well, and you will be stronger and more confident for the experience!

I had a large camper parked across from that museum, got back just after the meter expeire. Met by a parking maid and had to talk her out of 2 tickets just because I took up 2 spaces!

Stephenie S
05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I never park in DC. I don't get there very often any more, but I lived in Baltimore for many years. Whenever I went to DC, I would park outside of the city and take the Metro in. They have a VERY good subway system and the Metro stations in the suburbs all have excellent, easy parking. I found, on the few times I actually drove into DC, that in addition to the horrible parking situation, it is almost impossible for a stranger to find your way OUT of DC. So I just stopped driving there. If you can ditch your car, getting around DC will be much easier.

Lovies,
Stephenie

TxKimberly
05-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Tammi - I would have loved to have met you! Too bad that didn't happen. I'm now in the airport on the way to Boston for the reset of the week. No one replied to my post about it either so will be gong alone there too.

Karen - thank God for you! You always make me laugh, and often when I need it the most.

As I mentioned when I started the thread, one of the things I really am not sure I understand about the whole thing is why I still feel so good about the day. I guess I just thought it was going to be a lot harder to get the car back, and I think at one time it might have been. At the towing company, I saw a sign stating that they wouldn't release your car until you brought proof you had paid the cities ticket first. If they had enforced that with me, it could have been much worse I guess.

So important lessons learned when DWD (driving while dressed):
1 - Don't try jumping curbs when you get fed up with waiting in lines.
2 - Read every sticker on every pole when your a stupid small town red neck getting ready to park in the city.

Kim

Di
05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Hon you wrote....I STILL feel that the day was a success and I enjoyed it.

My hats off to you girl...be safe...but keep on enjoying:hugs: .

KimberlyS
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
...., I STILL feel that the day was a success and I enjoyed it. Go figure . . .

Once again super Kimberly has a good outing. Glad you enjoyed yourself and did not let the car issue drag you down too much.

Another outing to prove being out en femme is more attitude than actually "passing". When you said the security person kept calling you sir and you just did not let it show how it bothered you brought back memories. Like you said sometimes it just does not matter, they are helping you and accepting you in some way. I figure if they see me as a guy in femme clothes, wig and makeup and can handle it that way there is no problem. The important part is you had a good outing overall.

sterling12
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
And now you know why that parking space was available! Seriously, anyone reading this account take it as a warning of what not to do in DC.

Parking Spaces are just about non-existent and it gets even worse in the summer when families with kids visit all the sites.

Easiest thing to do is get an idea of where The Metro Lines fan out in The Suburbs and book a Motel that is close to a station. Many of The motels have shuttles that go back and forth quite often. The Metro is clean, cheap, and efficient. You will actually get to talk to DC natives who will share their favorite places with you, and you won't be near as frazzled at the end of the day.

By the way, virtually all of The Smithsonian Museums are great. Special note, do not miss The Holocaust Museum, it's very moving.

Last time I was in DC, Metro fare was like a dollar and a half each way, from Arlington at the end of The Blue Line.

Peace and Love, Joanie

paulaN
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
that was a great post. I am glad every thing turned out so well. have fun in Boston. And please be careful.

paulinescotlandcd
05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
We have many museums here in Scotland...most with free parking.:happy: So get on a plane and leave the car at home.

Lovely Rita
05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow...you are my heroe. After going through an ordeal like that all I can say is you have chuzpah.

I am happy it turned out well in the end.

It was exciting to read it I must say. It was an action adventure which turned out well in the end.