PDA

View Full Version : Body hair and nedications?

Teddie
02-25-2005, 08:18 AM
This is a little long and deep.

We've noticed something interesting recently. As you know, I keep my body hair free from the neck down. But, of course that requires a regular regime of hair removal. Lately the hair is growing in finer and softer, no matter what I've used for hair removal. The first area to really hit me was my under arms, normally I shave them once or twice a week. But, recently it's become once a week, and the hair has been so soft and fine that it was hard to see on the razor. And, normally when the under arms are growing in I know it, it's a little prickly. But, no more. Also, my arm hair, which I haven't touched in over a month, has become so fine and soft, that at a 1/4 inch long, it can hardly be seen.

So, being the type of girl I am, I started wondering what had changed. The only thing was two new medications, Proscar (5mg) and Doxazosin (8mg) for prostate problems. Just what a girl needs.:mad: I've been on them about 6 months. So, I started digging on Proscar, and found some interesting things. One, a guy was using Proscar to treat male pattern baldness, and reported a 30% reduction in body hair. Hmmm. On further digging, I found a statement that basically said, that Proscar can reduce male pattern baldness, and reduce female body hair. Again, hmmm.

If Proscar reduces body hair on a GG, why not on one of us girls? :D

Here is how Proscar works. "This medication blocks the enzyme 5 alpha-reductase which converts testosterone to its more active form, DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is the hormone responsible for the gradual enlargement of the prostate which occurs in most men beyond the age of fifty. A form of this same enzyme is active in the hair follicle and plays a role in both increased hair and loss of hair from the scalp. We know this because people with a rare inherited condition of deficiency of this enzyme have scant body hair."

Can't find any relationship between Doxazosin and body hair.

Is there anyone else on Proscar? Are you seeing any reduction in your body hair?

Helana
02-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Dont know about Proscar but your literature suggests that it is not dissimilar to androgen blockers which inhibit testosterone and so will also lessen body hair. So you can achieve the same results by taking drugs like Spironolactone. Even facial hair growth is slowed down - your 5 o'clock shadow becomes an 8 o'clock shadow.

Body hair is actively promoted by testosterone so any medication which inhibits its actions will automatically reduce body hair growth and also male baldness patterns.

LindaTS
02-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi Teddie,
I've been on Proscar for almost two years now but because I always keep my body completely shaved I really don't know how that is affected. But let me tell you the interesting part. If you look close at the information that came with the med you'll find one of the possible side effects is breast enlargement. It's rare but it happened to me. That's what started me on my quest for real breasts. As long as I had a medical excuse, go for it. I can't take hormones because of my heart so I started with some of the herbal products and just recently added Spirotone as a testosterone blocker. My testosterone was very low to start with. Anyway, I'm at an A+ now and I think I'm still growing. But the whole process is very slow. With the Proscar alone I was actually developeing breasts. Such happiness.

Teddie
02-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Hi Linda,

Thank you for the reply.

My urologist told me something like that, also that it helps eliminate male pattern baldness. I to shave completely, but what caught my attention was my arms. I only shave what needs shaved, and I knew that I hadn't done my arms in a while. So, on a close look there was hair there, but it was so fine and soft that it could hardly be seen. My wife, who does my back, said the same thing about it when I had her check it.

As far as the breast growth is concerned. My natural breasts fill a 38B cup very nicely. But, I have felt more weight in them recently. I have a 38 nearly C coming, and we'll see how that fits. The wife seems to think that they are almost a C, and the Proscar might have something to do with it. I'm going to have to remeasure, compare, and see if anything has changed.

LindaTS
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
It sounds like you're one lucky girl Teddie, to already have breasts like that. I hope you're one of the lucky ones like me that the Proscar helped. Good luck hon.