PDA

View Full Version : University Help

Nat
05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Just something i've been wondering, hope I could get a bit of help with it.

I'm thinking of applying to university next year, so I'd be starting September 08. If I wanted to present and live as male during my time there, how would I go about it? To an extent I'm unsure about my gender, but the thought of living (in general) as female frightens me something horrible, whereas living as a male seems normal.

Do most universities require a letter from a doctor or psych stating you're gender dysphoric or anything before they'd allow you to apply/live as male, or would it just be a case of explaining the situation when applying?

If anyone has had experience with this, or knows anyone that has, then any help would be great.

Cai
05-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I think that would depend on the specific university. I have a feeling that in order for you to put "male" on an application you'll need to have had your status with the state changed. Otherwise it could mess up your aid and whatnot.

If you're okay with your paperwork saying female, I'm willing to bet your university would allow you to present as male. Except for housing, they can't really stop you. Email or stop by your professors before the start of classes and give them your name so they don't call you wrong in roll call.

Housing could be a bit tricky though. If you had a letter, you could try for a "medical" single in a co-ed building. Or just live off-campus if that's possible.

Tristan
05-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Wish I could help, Nat, unfortunately by the time I accepted I was trans I was out of college and I'm still not 100% out. I think hi has the right idea in talking it over with the school.

bi_weird
05-06-2007, 11:40 PM
That's really going to depend on the University. I know here at U of M we're really pushing to be trans inclusive, so things are a lot easier. There's unisex bathrooms all over, and a couple of unisex showers at the student union. Don't know how they handle the housing thing though - I think you'd end up in a single so that they didn't have to worry about it. But it really depends on the school. I'd contact the LGBT office at your school and ask them. If there isn't an LGBT office, then that's a sign that you're likely to have a lot more problems. If you don't have to worry about living on campus, though, then you really shouldn't have many problems. I know I live off campus now and throughout this year have slowly transitioned to wearing men's clothing much of the time, and no one has said anything. Health services are really cool with it, and my professors don't even seem to notice. As for the name, I know a lot of schools have an online directory which you can edit and contains all your personal info. Many of my friends have edited their to show a preferred name ("Katie" instead of "Katherine") for instance, so that profs know what to call them, and you could look into using that to get called by your male name.

Nat
05-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks guys, your replies have given me something to think about. I'm going to email a couple of the unis that do the course I want and have a word with them, though like you said bi_weird, if I don't live in the provided accomodation then it should be ok.

Idk, I'll have to think about it a hell of a lot before I do anything, but at least now I know what options are open.

Kieron Andrew
05-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys, your replies have given me something to think about. I'm going to email a couple of the unis that do the course I want and have a word with them, though like you said bi_weird, if I don't live in the provided accomodation then it should be ok.

Idk, I'll have to think about it a hell of a lot before I do anything, but at least now I know what options are open.
which Uni's are you thinking of?? most if not all Uni's in the UK will have a LGBT officer within the student union to talk to about this before you apply

Gina_darling
05-07-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't think housing is a problem, most of the universities in this country (UK) you have your own room anyway. There is a drive for gender equality because it is wrong to discriminate against men or women and now trans people are being recognised too. Any university will accept you as male, but paperwork such as student loan form and UCAS form will need to have your female name and the F box ticked. Once on the course then tell your advisor of studies that you are trans and then they will make necessary adjustments such as name on university things.

Good luck!

Sadly I can't present as female as the course I do is going to lead to being in the public domain where many people are still not accepting. I must continue to present as male.