PDA

View Full Version : Self labelling.....

paula_cd
05-05-2007, 04:01 PM
....is it me or does anybody else have problem with labelling. Best fit for me "fetishistic crossdresser or TV".

Hope this makes sense but do others struggle to fit themselves neatly into a category, particularly when it comes to our motives for CD'ing?

Love, Paula xxxx

Ruth
05-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Paula, I don't struggle to fit myself into a category. I am me. I don't need a category to live.
If other people try to categorize me, that's their game.

deniedtoo
05-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Yes! I have a big problem with labelling.

Labelling was invented to communicate more effectively. By grouping certain activities and behaviours together, we get to say "Hi, my name is Kacey, and I'm a Leisure Crossdresser", or if we are in a group that has it's own lingo then its, "Hi, I'm a Kacey, a CD"

They have their purpose, I understand that, but labels are more definitive than the person / behaviour that they describe.

I loathe them, but begrudgingly accept them.

Denied

Karren H
05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
"Karren" it's all the label I need!!

:)

Karren

Sue Too
05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd vote for Susan. It fits me to a "T". (oops)

Susan

Amy07
05-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Labels suck! There are lots of great people that transcend any description some judgemental morons will attempt place on anybody else. It is all GRAY!

Dixie
05-05-2007, 04:40 PM
"Labels?, We don't need no stinking Labels!" Labels only seem to make it easier for people to hate each other!

Toyah
05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Labels are for those that like to spend 100 pounds an hour on someone telling them what they already know. Psychoanalysis is modern clairvoyance with a natty label :D
Guaranteed you go to 2 shrinks and you will get 2 different results.

RuthieER
05-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Labels are very useful sometimes and in some situations. I can say, "I'm just Ruthie" all I want, but I'm more complicated than that. I have a career, I have hobbies, I have a family, circles of friends, and circles of people with similar interests. I have different labels depending on what part of my life is being considered. I am: "the Middle Child", "a First Cousin", "an Actor/Director", "a Folk Dancer", "a Doll Collector", "Bisexual", "a Cross-Dresser", "Transgendered", "Feminine Identified", "a Biological Male." And on and on. None of these are the total of who I am, but all are useful in helping people understand who I am in any given situation.

Ruthie

Leah B
05-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I think labels are very useful, as long as we understand that they are not firm. Like, I've been thinking of coming out to my brother, but what would I say? I could start with, "You know, I like to dress in women's clothing, it's not entirely sexual... well it started out like that but now it isn't (so much). Anyway, I'm exploring the idea that I am bi-gendered, but I don't know yet because I'm still finding myself....

..But I am NOT CD because that's a label."

Or I could start with "I am a crossdresser" which would instantly give him a frame of reference. A flawed frame, yes, but it's the most succint way to communicate something that's very complex. I can always explain further and explain away misperceptions. It's qmuch easier to process something simple and refine it than it is to load on a ton of information at once.

We need not limit our self-percerception to labels, but we should recognize their utility in explaining ourselves to low-information listeners.

Ammdi
05-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Label?
I saw one on a can of soup once.......

Me, I'm a guy who dresses a bit girly all the time. So label me that.
I think its harder to spell than CD though, so some of society's brainiacs might not 'get it'.

Julie York
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
|So you're all 'Male' then.

No other label or discussion required?

No no no you've lost your chance now.

az_azeel
05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
"Labels?, We don't need no stinking Labels!" Labels only seem to make it easier for people to hate each other!

I agree with what evryone has said but I guess you sum it up Dixie

:hugs:

NewBetty
05-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I have no desire to box myself in with terminology,
just trying to cope with changes and walk erect.

Dixie
05-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks AZ it just seems to me that is the way it works something new and nameless shows up, and people don't know what to think. The minute someone puts a label on it it becomes a target for the haters of the world, it has a name so they know what they are hating. Like I said it just seems that way to me, so I try not to put much stock in labels.
:hugs: Dixie

marie354
05-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Why categorize? I just like to wear women's clothes & makeup. I like the look.
:hugs:

Dixie
05-05-2007, 08:04 PM
:clap: That's what I'm saying Marie.

Leah B
05-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Why not abandon all labels? I mean, are we really all humans? A human as a certain specific set of genetic coding, but what if my coding's a little different? Humans have ten fingers right? But some people have extras. THAT definition doesn't fit them, right? What apout "people" with Down Syndrome? They have an extra chromosome, do they count as human?

I guess this is my sarcastic way of saying a label doesn't have to fit you exactly for you to fit it.

Alex!
05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Homo sapiens does it for me, I think.

Kate Simmons
05-05-2007, 11:29 PM
I tend to be an enigma and since I am, labels don't apply and neither do bar codes.:heehee:

Joy Carter
05-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Stick around here long enough, and you will say something that will get you labeled fast enough. Even from those who claim to not like labels.:heehee:

Dixie
05-06-2007, 12:27 AM
SSHHHH, the label police will hear you. :heehee:
Does that mean I'm gonna be labeled,............does it tickle HeeHee:heehee:

Raychel
05-06-2007, 06:18 AM
With my wife knowing that I like to dress with style. And having been in business for myself for almost 30 years. I have been called almost every name in the book. Some of those name cannot be repeated here. So there is nothing you can say that will hurt me. I am just me, sometimes me in work clothes, sometimes me in a dress. But always just me.

Angie G
05-06-2007, 10:02 AM
MY labell is CD and I love it no problem when I'm dressed I also labell me girl :hugs:
Angie

TxKimberly
05-06-2007, 10:20 AM
There are so many levels, graduations, and differences in the TG spectrum that by the time you have them memorized and understood you have defeated the purpose of having labels and names - making it easy to communicate a point. Let's just say we are TG which simplified means we don't quite fit the gender slot we were "supposed" to be in.
Kim

RuthieER
05-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I admire those who are trying to rise above labels, and who strive to be full and complete individuals, but it seems to me that even those here who are saying they are Just Themselves must identify on some level with the CD label, otherwise they wouldn't be on a forum for Crossdressers.

Ruthie

monkey88
05-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I've never liked labels because they generalize. They create a set of characteristics defined as 'normal', which I think of as, for want of a better word, impossible. Impossible for a group of items, individuals, etc. A single person can have normality, a normal frame of mind, normal actions, reactions, it defines our character.

But normality in a group, I think is not possible. It implies that everyone in that group has a certain characteristic to the same depth and extent, which is never true. And that applies to everything, not just people. 2 different cans of baked beans can be very different, yet both are labelled as baked beans.

I think labels have their uses as general, wide, open terms, but in specialized areas, to describe people especially, like 'so-and-so is an angry person', or 'he is a tranny', or 'she is an emo', are wrong. They describe what people are, and fit them into a group.

Yes, I dress in womens clothes, but am I CD, TV, fetishist, or otherwise? I am none of the above, I do it because I want to, I like to, and because I can. I don't fit a clearly defined group.

Well, that was more philosophical than I expected. Guess I got carried away.

unclejoann
05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Since I live in California I guess the Governor's label fits me just fine ... "girlie man"

Carin
05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
There are so many levels, graduations, and differences in the TG spectrum that by the time you have them memorized and understood you have defeated the purpose of having labels and names - making it easy to communicate a point. Let's just say we are TG which simplified means we don't quite fit the gender slot we were "supposed" to be in.
Kim

For communication purposes people will fallback to labels because that fits a frame of reference for them. TG covers a specific spectrum that allows the conversation to proceed. To the uninformed it allows me to define my own particular place on the specrum without having to redefine another persons concept of crossdresser, transvestite, part time woman, etc.

I want to convey a gender variation, not a clothing preference. A guy in a skirt may indeed want to convey a clothing preference and use Crossdresser or TV.

Louise described me as TG to a spa, as a step in communicating the kinds of sevices we were both interested in. The only part that the spa owner was challenged with is reflected in her comment. "I am not sure about if (s)he will want to get a wax 'down there'" :blushing:

Carin's Wife GG
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Since I live in California I guess the Governor's label fits me just fine ... "girlie man"

that is is soooo funny! Thanks.

Louise.

PS: we are in CA too!

Carin's Wife GG
05-06-2007, 04:10 PM
just for convenience. I also am not a big fan of labels. Many of my kids have been given such and none have turned out to have a whole lot of creedence.

and I dare anybody to label ME! lol.

Louise.

marie354
05-06-2007, 04:17 PM
just for convenience. I also am not a big fan of labels. Many of my kids have been given such and none have turned out to have a whole lot of creedence.

and I dare anybody to label ME! lol.

Louise.

I can label you... How does NICE sound?

Wendy me
05-06-2007, 04:48 PM
labels??????labels???? no thanks been there done that... all i want to be is happy....that simple ...... some times we spend too much time trying to fit in to a label ... that we become some one we don't really want to be....

Carin's Wife GG
05-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I can label you... How does NICE sound?

thank you!!!

Love,

Louise.:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

lindsaycd75
05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
see my signature, thats how i feel I really don't like the current label craze