PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to dress androynously?

Siobhan Marie
05-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Please forgive the question. I've seen this on threads and on a blog that I read and wondered what it meant. The other reason that I ask this question is that I might have to do this when I eventually go full time as Anna when I go and see certain members of my family and again would like to know what this means.

I would really appreciate any replies that can be given.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

CaptLex
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Unless someone has a different definition, to me it means wearing stuff that is neither definitively male (like a tie) nor female (like high heels). I dressed androgynously (or gender-neutral) for many years and it meant wearing clothes that either a male or female would wear, including pants, shirts, shoes that no one could tell if I got them from the men's department or the women's department (in fact, most people guessed wrongly ;)).

Maggie Kay
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
I dress mostly androgenously. My slacks are women's. My jean's have no zipper and elastic waistbands. I wear women's polo shirts from LL Bean. I finish my look by a big shirt ( often denim ) also a women's shirt. So most men don't know that my clothes are women's but many women do. Men don't usually look at details of clothes and can't see that my shirt buttons on the opposite side. Dressing this way has allowed me some time to adjust to being out in public in women's clothes but not making it a major issue. Like most things, it has changed lately and now I carry a black leather purse and wear women's flats. Adding a little at a time has permitted me to be more comfortable in public but the downside is restroom use. I can't present as an obvious women yet but I am too femme to be safe in the men's room. So that means going out in short trips and long trips are a hassle. Good thing Starbucks has mostly unisex RR's.

The "Bottom Line" is that sometimes going out androgenously makes one stand out more than someone who tries to pass.

Siobhan Marie
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Lex and Kay, thank you so much for your replies. I think I know what it means now.

Stephanie Anne
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
think gender neutral. A few weeks ago I went into the walking company and bought a wonderful pair of men's flats that are feel feminine yet not revealing. I also tend to wear lighter fabric and closer cut slacks that feel feminine yet give a neutral or masciline appearance if needed.

Kay, if I could pull off what you could I so would but I think my work would burn me at the steak for it :p

AmberTG
05-08-2007, 01:03 AM
I try to dress neutral when I go somewhere in public, I suppose I could just wear my male stuff but I like the way that Riders jeans fit me better than any men's jeans, the Riders are less baggy and more comfortable. I just wear a T-shirt with a button up shirt over it, but unbuttoned and not tucked in, like many women my age do. I have started carrying a "fanny pack" with all my stuff in it instead of in my pockets, I should have done that years ago, it's more comfortable not having all that stuff in your pockets. I figure that as I get used to carrying the pack around it'll be easier to remember to keep track of a purse once I start carrying that, and a fanny pack is quite androgenous. This one is about the size of a medium small purse and I carry it over my shoulder instead of strapping it on. The wallet is now in the fanny pack for good. (until I switch to a purse)

Maggie Kay
05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I started with a fanny pack then graduated to a small shoulder pack. They were black nylon and both had unisex styling. This allowed me to empty my pockets and keep my stuff in the bag. I got used to minding it carefully and only one time, left it in a restaurant. I then got a larger comma shaped LL Bean pack so I could hold it under my shoulder but it got clunky. Interestingly, because all my stuff was now in a bag, I can carry tissues and a fingernail file, notebook, calculator etc. The other effect is that I then could wear slacks and tops without pockets. So much of my wardrobe is pocket-less that now I have to carry the bag. Then one day, I saw a beautiful black leather purse in the Goodwill store that was almost new and for a few dollars. I had to buy it and all of a sudden I am carrying a purse. No one has ever commented on it. I go about my business and focus on my needs. If any others are laughing or saying anything, they are polite enough not to let me see it. Then again I am 55 and people tend to ignore folks that age and older.

Siobhan Marie
05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Ladies, thank you so much for your replies. The more I read on this, the more I learn.

Thank you again

Stephanie Anne
05-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Kay... you inspire me!

AmberTG
05-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Kay, funny you should mention some of the contents of your pack, or purse now. As for me, I carry my Gerber multi-tool, a small notebook, my travel size hand cream, (I have dry hands a lot), my digital camera, my little schedule calendar and my wallet. I clip my cellphone belt clip to the strap on one end and I have an aluminum carabiner clip through the loop at the end of the strap to hang my keys on, no room in the pack for them. I gotta get a travel size tissue package to put in the big pocket, hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it.
For those of you who might be wondering, the fanny pack is not big enough for a pistol, except maybe my 25 auto, which is only slightly better than bringing a knife to a gun fight:D There are fanny packs on the market designed specificly for concealed carry, but mine isn't one of them. With my luck, I'd forget and walk into a bank with it and set off the metal detector, that wouldn't be a pretty sight!:eek:

KrazyKat
05-09-2007, 01:31 AM
I guess I generally dress of either sex mostly, unless I'm dressing up or something. I wear women's jeans, but usually wear men's "Hawaiian" type shirts unbuttoned over t-shirt, or "wife-beater"(sleeveless ribbed t-shirt) in the summer. I can wear tennis shoes, or wedgy sandals, which tips the scales back to more femme. I used to always wear fanny packs, too. Great when on vacation, it leaves your hands free for looking at maps, shopping, etc. I had a nice big leather one from Mexico, my little .22 fit in it nicely!!:happy: Of course, I used to keep my .22 in my blazer jacket pocket when I was in Real Estate and doing open houses in some areas, you just never know who might pop in on you!!

So, to answer the question, I guess you would have to look twice or more to figure if you were looking at a dressed male or female=dressed androgynously, IMHO

Siobhan Marie
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Thank you so much for your replies to this and the help that you've all given me. I think I get it now.

Thank you all so much again

Kimberley
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with all of what has been said here but you can go further with hair and VERY light makeup.

Makeup has to be used to even out skin tones, not draw attention. It isnt hard to do. Use a good moisturizer and a light powder to even things out. You can even go a shade LIGHTER for eyeshadow and get away with it. Of course if you want to make a statement then go with eye liner and mascara as well but that is beginning to tip the scales.

Hair can be cut to be unisex however, long (shoulder length) hair is on its way back in for men even.... dare I say it??? Mulletts.... I know Amber... yuch. (Too much hockey head or Billy Ray..)

:hugs:
Kimberley

Maggie Kay
05-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking about light makeup too. I am tired of looking at this old skin and even though my beard is trivial now that I have hormone treatment, it would be nice to hide that hint of a shadow.

BTW, my look is not totally working. My wife and I were leaving the post office today and a petitioner outside says: "Ladies, would you be interested in signing this petition for term limits" You might think that this would be nice for me but it wasn't. Why? Well, it spurs the TG issue between me and my wife and once again we have to deal with our feelings on it. IN this way, my androgyny really is just a cop out. I should go ahead and finish the work go full dress and stop sitting on the fence. Yah right, that will be easy....:rolleyes: