PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Victim 101 or future Goddess?

MoonBaby GG
05-10-2007, 11:42 PM
[ mood | http://stat.livejournal.com/img/mood/moonsis/stars/purple/happy_sp.gif amused ] Between my genetic female form, my husband's genetic male form and his inner gender blossoming into a beautiful woman ~ you could say we've become the Bermuda Triangle of femininity.

My partner as a man is a fashion DIVA and often called "metrosexual", a term that aptly describes his superb sense of style. However as a woman he is still in his adolescence phase and what I lovingly refer to as the "TERRIBLE TEENS". There are moments when Karen's brain goes a bit haywire and she makes clothing combinations that should permanently put her in the "Glamour Do & Don't" section. Today she asked me what the round tube of fabric (located in her new tank top) was. I explained it was a shelf bra and that it's *supposed* to hold breasts up, give them support and keep them in place....and that as an evil conspiracy, not all manufacturers design tank top that allows one to simultaneously wear a regular bra without having the straps show underneath. I couldn't help but laugh. It's all about baby steps and new beginnings. Yes, it was *naughty-wrong* of me since everyone started somewhere, including me, although looking at me ~ it's not quite apparent that I ever did learn much fashion, as I tend to prefer tailored-comfort over restrictive-styles. I'm sure my partner feels a similar sense of astonishment and exasperation when they try to teach me any math skills or how to work the 1,001 pieces of electronic equipment and handful of matching remote controls in our home.

Now before anyone tries to read me the riot act, please understand that for *ME* to teach my spouse about fashion and how it can help her "become a better woman" is ridiculous. The fashion industry is notorious for delusions of grandeur and promoting body images that aren't healthy or attainable for the average person, not to mention what it does for one's self esteem when they can't meet those iconic ideals. There are days when, if I can borrow a phrase I often read/hear in the cross dressing communities, that I can be a bit of a "man in a dress" myself. With the exception of shampooing, if it takes more than five minutes to fix my hair, you can forget it. I'm stubborn and lazy and am the sort of gal that would rather scotch tape my broken sunglasses back together rather than insanely drive around town, searching every retail store for a similar pair or suitable alternative. I might look ALL sassy WOMAN and show plenty of curves on this figure but trust me when I say that most of the time I feel very masculine and I'd rather stomp around in weighty, black leather motorcycle boots. Not that I can't gracefully maneuver in sexy, strappy, summer sandals, but merely that my *inner male* understands that the boots are more comfortable. It's such a dichotomy to be equally attracted and repelled by a pair of leopard-printed slingbacks, knowing that they will make my legs look divine and yet also make my feet feel like hell.

To be honest fashion can be a flirty subject if approached lightly, but it's never been something that I consider a "make or break" factor when selecting friends or lovers. It's just clothing and the way designers change their minds from season to season, it would be difficult, if not near-impossible, finding quality people to keep up with that kind of superficial change. In other words, unless there's a special event or occasion, I can't be bothered and won't judge you based on your choice of handbag, shoes or designer wardrobe...but certain members of society might and if that's important to you that's where the wheel turns in the opposite direction.

No one wants to be considered "out of style", shunned and ridiculed, so we try to marginally conform, depending on our economic scale and the necessity within our culture or social circle. (Needing appropriate clothing for work is a perfect example.) I don't want my partner to look bad and understand her desire to look fabulous, feel beautiful and be appreciated, so I grit my teeth and do the thing that annoys me the most...we go clothes shopping. So far there have only been a few outings and I'm sure if she has her way there will be plenty more. Haha. In the meantime and in order to keep up with the fashionista, I'll pull out some of our magazines and read a few issues. Between subscriptions that exist in both gender realms and track across a wide variety of topics, we should have plenty of options that remind both of us about fun things like fashion and more importantly, how to be a better person regardless of how we are presented to the outside world.

AmberTG
05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Moon Baby, you are such a trip!:D
I can tell you think about this stuff in a very interesting way, plus your sense of humor makes me laugh too.

ToyGirl
05-11-2007, 02:39 AM
Your experience will be very helpfull , ive known plenty of girls that didn't care for clothes and guys that did. I guess i'll be the first to say thats not really a girl or boy thing (although no doubt because of society more girls do like clothes than boys).

I sill cant use my VCR :(

AllieSF
05-11-2007, 02:49 AM
Great Post! I love your writing style and you make good points. Can't wait for your next thread.

Kate Simmons
05-11-2007, 07:23 AM
My kinda gal Moonbaby. I don't give a rat's pitude for the latest fashion or the "fashion police". Who am I trying to impress anyway? I'm more like Fran Dresher and have my own style. Sometimes that includes dressing in "guy" stuff as Salandra which is downright comfortable but I do get chided by my "sisters" for doing that-not ladylike, you know(whoever said I was a lady?:heehee: ). Okay, I have my "fashion diva" moments when I go all out but it's for my own satisfaction mostly and I really don't give a flying hoot what anyone else thinks. Anyway, I didn't simply trade one set of "standards" for another and I'm my own person for better worse. Like Robert Goulet sang:"I gotta be me". Anyway, I think you have a cool outlook on things.:happy:

Stephenie S
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Salandra, how ya doin' dear? It's "patootie", hon. A rat's patootie. I think it refers to the posterior, i.e. "a rat's ass", but sounds MUCH more ladylike, don't it?

Lovies,

MFStoo
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Great post that tells it like it is...
As a CD I do love to dress and try to keep an eye on looking just right, but I couldn't agree more.. Its a lot of work to really look your best. Shopping can be fun or very frustrating.. Heels do hurt... and there are times when it seems to take forever to get your hair and make-up just right..
Under the right circumstances it can all be fun, but there are times where it just doesn't make sense to go for perfection.
When I asked my wife for makeup advice, she said to find a magazine. She uses very little makeup (doesn't need it) and really couldn't be of much help.
She is much better with the fashion part..
Go figure.. I always thought that all GG's knew all about that stuff.:lol:
All I can say is that it does feel so good when a look comes together and you feel like you look your best, Even if it doesn't quite make it to the unrealistic Icon model level...
Gina